Prognosis

Anyone have any ideas of prognosis for a stage IV aggressive bm? No treatment possible so it’s palliative care only. Thank you in advance 

• Hi Hensmum

welcome to the online community. You don't say whether its yourself or a friend or family member who has received the diagnosis  which makes it a little more difficult to try to give you a meaningful answer here.  Either way, I'm sorry to hear that someone has had the diagnosis.

My husband (age 52 now and a total fitness freak) was diagnosed with GBM4 in early Sept 2020. He was fit enough for surgery to debulk his tumour and he underwent 6 weeks of chemo/radiotherapy and declined all further treatment after that. His prognosis has changed several times over the months.

I guess where I'm trying to get to here is that it's not an exact science. The medical team would be the best people to give you a more realistic expectation but these are only estimates.  Everyone is different. Every tumour grows differently and impacts difference parts of the body so there's not really a definitive answer here I'm afraid. 

In our situation , pre-surgery, they were talking about 18-24 months, after surgery that went to 12-18 months then reduced further to 12-15 months. We learned by letter several months later that post-surgical blood clots in mu husband's lungs had reduced t further but no one said by how much. He doesn't want to know and I've given up asking. He could have weeks left or months - I don't know. We're halfway through month 13 but who's counting?

We take each day as it comes. I know that one seizure or stroke is all it would take but I can't live thinking like that so I try to just make the most of each day.

I hope this has been of some help but I appreciate its perhaps not the response you were hoping for. Please also remember Macmillan Support Services  offer lots of information, support, financial guidance or just someone to listen. It’s free to call 0808 808 0000. Most services are available 8am to 8pm, 7 days a week. Have a look by Clicking here to see what is available. We also have our Ask an Expert section for more medical/technical questions, but do allow two to three working days for replies from our expert team.

Stay strong. Take care

love n hugs

Wee Me xx

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm