Follicular lymphoma

Follicular lymphoma is a type of non-Hodgkin lymphoma (NHL). If you're suffering from follicular lymphoma, or know someone who is, join this support group.

Confusion on multiple opinions

maxshetty
Posted by

Hi everyone 

My wife was diagnosed with fnhl low grade six years ago and has been on a wait and watch policy. We are from India and we have been in touch with the team at Stanford regularly on her progress.. we just had a child five months ago and all of a sudden my wife developed pain abdomen and distension for which an ultrasound revealed ascites and increased size of the lymph nodes of the splenic hilum and peripancreatic areas. The Stanford team has advised for a pet CT and a biopsy of the lymph nodes on an urgent basis.. we have been consulting a doctor in India who adviced us to not jump to conclusions and wait. 

I am really confused on how to go about things 

If there is anyone who could advice us or who has had similar experiences.. please let me know. 

Ever grateful

Cecren
Posted by

Hello Maxshetty.

So sorry to hear about your wife's illness.  It must be very difficult for her, especially with a new baby and far from home and it is hard to know what to do.  It sounds like you and your wife need some good information to help choose the next step.  It sounds as if she is very uncomfortable and will need to make some decisions now.

I'm just another patient here, but  I have tried and tested the advice on the 'Ask an Expert' tab on this Macmillan site.  They have specialist nurses available and they really do know their stuff.  They have helped me with my concerns since I was first diagnosed.  I would recommend calling or emailing them for up to date advice.  Here's a link:

https://community.macmillan.org.uk/cancer_experiences/ask_the_expert/ask_a_nurse/f/ask_a_nurse/p/addpost

I hope you find the information you both need and your wife can find the medical help she needs.

Best wishes,

C

Thehighlander
Posted by

Me in your position would be pushing for the CT and biopsy as a starting point and getting a few reviews of the results.

Mike - Thehighlander

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

maxshetty
Posted by

Thanks so much Thehighlander.. we r going ahead with the pet CT and biopsy.. will get back with the results

MCLkid
Posted by

Dear Masshetty,

In your position, I would make the same choice myself.

Best to know where it is (PET) and what it is (biopsy) since they would know the best treatment from the two results.

Hugs

Millie

MCLkid
Educating myself about this disease.