Eye cancer

A place for people affected by eye cancer, including ocular melanoma, to support one another, ask questions, and share their experiences.

New to Cancer

Sullicricket85
Posted by

my name is Matt and I’ve just been diagnosed with eye cancer... but it’s been caught early the last week my world has been turned upside down... but I think I’m dealing with it very well... but finding it hard and very scary at times... wonder if anyone can give me some tips how to deal with this process 

Kegsy
Posted by

Hi Matt

So sorry that you find yourself on here.

I am not from this group but noticed that your post has not yet been answered, and from the discussion page it does appear that the eye group is not generally very active.  I cannot provide any advice regarding eye cancer but I can point you in the direction of the advice as provided by MacMillan.

At the top of this page there is a heading 'Information and Support'. If you click on this heading it takes you to a page that provides generic info on cancer, it's treatment, coping etc. Also from the 'Information and Support' page, if you type in 'eye cancer' in the search box it will take you to more specific info on eye cancer.

Hopefully someone from the eye group will be along shortly to provide eye cancer specific advice.

I wish you the best possible outcomes.

Kegsy x

Badge
Posted by

Hi Matt,

Welcome to the group!! I have been in your position with the worry and all the emotions it brings the biggest being the fear of it ruining your life. Well, I am two years down the line and still here  it is a ticking time bomb but it needn't be the end. There are some that live a long life after cancer so don't be too discouraged and only look at the stats as stats as they are a 'maybe or  could be so try to be positive and ask questions , understand the issue.

Remember we all have the issue one way or another  and will help where we can.

Regards

Badge.  

Andalay
Posted by

Hi Matt, how are you doing? Xxx

Uniaudz
Posted by

Hi Matt,  I was diagnosed yesterday with (early) eye cancer and like you my world has turned upside down and I am frightened of what the future holds.   

Obviously I don't have any tips for you, but I am working on them!  

Here if you want to chat.

Audz

Audz
Live each day well if you can
Sullicricket85
Posted by

Hi Audz sorry to hear your news! Yes it’s frighting but that’s understandable.. what helps me is trying to keep life normal as possible minute by minute hour by hour day by day.. but it’s ok to have bad days we our only human and this is big stuff we’re dealing whith here. also trying to stay positive as well... 

I’m going in for treatment in 2 weeks so im pretty nervous about that 

regards Matt  

stay strong 

Andalay
Posted by

Hi Matt

im sorry I missed your earlier post and responded so liste. Please see my reply to Audz - I wanted to say the same to you too.

glad to hear you have your treatment sorted. What is it, and where? Xxx

Uniaudz
Posted by

Oh my days Matt!  Good luck with your treatment!  My date is Sept 17th because I am getting married on Sept 10th (I have been with my partner for over 25 years!!).  

Where are you going for your treatment and are you having the radioactive disc done?  

I have just spent the last few hours with my lovely neighbours and after I told them about my eye we  talked about anything and everything except my eye.   

Take care Matt.

Audz
Sullicricket85
Posted by

I’m having it done at Moorefields eye hospital in London... I’m having the disc yes... 

congratulations for you getting married 

talking really helps cause most the time you tell people and you talk about other things not just your eye I’ve found that out as well

also you certainly know who your real dress are

and pretty much all of them have been there for me which only helps...

have a good wedding keep strong keep smiling 

take care audz

Uniaudz
Posted by

I found the staff at Moorfields and especially Mr Sagoo to be very nice/friendly/honest/helpful.   I wish you the best of luck and I truly hope that everything goes well for you.

I am going offline for a while now because tonight is the lunar eclipse so if the thunder stays away from here long enough I will get to see it.   

The wedding is going to be a very small affair - just me, him and the two witnesses!!  

take care Matt 

Audz