First round tomorrow!

• 23 replies
  • 15 subscribers

I might have posted in a different place earlier. I have my first treatment tomorrow for DLBCL. It seems to just be in my neck at this point. I’ll be doing 4-6 rounds of RCHOP followed by radiation. I’m 50 years old and this came out of nowhere! I had routine check ups, blood work, mammogram, colonoscopy and everything was great and then bam...lump in my neck and you have cancer.  I would appreciate any advice on how to get through treatment. I’m ready to get round one done so I can see how I deal With it. Thanks in advance for any advice!

• The steroids are just the worst. I hardly slept last night - making me feel really panicky. All my plans to work today have gone right of the window. I hope you’re faring better. Hopefully when I’ve done the 4 days of them there will be a bit of respite until the next cycle. 

hugs to you ! 

• Steroids can be a true rollercoaster from being hyper awake to the slump once there are finished. It takes time to navigate to a middle point when on them.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• you are spot on there Mike. I was ok with the treatment at the hospital but all of a sudden it hit me. This is all so real now and I’m on the rollercoaster 

• I hate rollercoaster with a passion Joy but this one was not an option. We just have to learn to ride the bumps and develop the best coping methods to get through and out the other end.

It’s always good to keep in mind that treatment is temporary and in the big picture is short and it’s all for the greater good ((hugs))

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• I’m so sorry for you. My nurse recommended taking my first pill super early and my second in mid afternoon to help with sleep. It might’ve helped. I was only up two short times in the night. I’ve been a little queasy but am ok. I’m currently at work and all is good. I truly hope you can level out. 

hugs back to you!

• I always took my steroids first thing on a morning when I got up and it helped for the first couple of cycles, after that it was just learn to go with the flow, I could nap for 30 seconds and the be wide awake and on some occasions did not bother going to bed as I knew I would not sleep. I never had a problem when day 6 came others have and have had to have the dose tapered due to the reaction they experienced.  

we all know this is a roller coaster ride, where we ride blind, never knowing where the highs and lows are
  • All we can do is take each day as it comes! I have a great support system and fantastic coworkers so I’ve got help if I need it.

• Absolutely!y My support group and team at work are terrific too - makes such a difference to know they’ve got your back. I got a bit more sleep last night and have eaten regularly and not felt sick and also taken your nurse’s advice about splitting the steroids into 2 doses which hopefully will help. Only another 2 more days of those bad boys this cycle. Are you on a 3-week cycle like me? Hopefully will only be 4 rounds for us before radiotherapy. Mine was Stage 1A (E) - e for extra nodal as the mass wasn’t in my lymph nodes which I found very odd. 

All the best 

Gill 

• Gill extra nodal happens more than people realise, it confused me to when I was diagnosed, it was in the abdomen and small intestine. 

we all know this is a roller coaster ride, where we ride blind, never knowing where the highs and lows are
  • I made the mistake of taking my second dose of steroids at 8PM so my sleep wasn’t as good but I still managed 6 hours. I’ve been eating well too. I am also on the 3 week sessions and also hoping for 4 chemo plus 4 weeks of radiation. I’ve made it to work again and all is well! Have a great day!

Jessica