Chronic myeloid leukaemia

Affected by chronic myeloid leukaemia (CML)? Join this group to share experiences and ask questions to people who understand what you're going through.

Just diagnosed

Judgeysan
Posted by

Hi all

I'm just about to be diagnosed with CML - i.e. my haematologist is 99.9% certain that I have it, but will confirm for sure next week.

Currently very sore and achey from the bone marrow biopsy on Monday, and generally very distracted by the whole affair.

Could someone please advise what I'm in for? 

Thanks!

Dreamthief
Posted by

Hi  

Sorry to see you joining the Mac Community and reading about your CML (info)

Because CML is one of the more uncommon types this group isn't very active but hopefully regular members will get an email of your message and reply with some friendly support.

Macmillan produce an Understanding Chronic Myeloid Leaukaemia booklet you can view and/or save to your device by selecting the cover image below.

There is a dedicated CML UK support website which may be of some help learning a bit more about cml information and treatments. You can find CML Support Org UK here.

Good luck with those biopsy results, it's all a bit of a blur at first :-/

Hope this is of some help, take care, G n' J

Sam89
Posted by

Hello, 

This is my fist post in this group, I hope I can shed some light on your question. First of all I am sorry that you have been diagnosed, and want to say there is light at the end of the tunnel.

I was diagnosed a year ago with CML and have been in your position so I know all the uncertainties you are facing. I have been taking Imatiinib for the last year and am now in remission (no trace of CML since i last had my bone marrow biopsy). The first few months were the most difficult as my body took quite a while in getting used to the medication and the side effects. I have been carrying on as normal as this is sort of my coping mechanism. I live in somewhat denial that I have been diagnosed with CML and for the most part my life is pretty normal i.e. working, social life etc... I wish you all the best in the coming months, try and stay positive like myself I find it is the best way to help yourself and those around you who this has a huge impact on.

If you have any questions, I'll be happy to answer them if I can.

Best Regards,

Sham