Breast skin adhered to ribs

Hello

New to the group and just wondered if anyone has any advice regards my ongoing problem. I had a lumpectomy 10 years ago followed by radiotherapy. Then 3 years ago a recurrence resulting in a mastectomy. Since the mastectomy my skin over my chest wall has become stuck to my ribs. I’m told it’s due to the radiotherapy. Anybody had a similar experience and can advise if there is anything that can be done to release the skin or is it something I have to live with. I have mentioned it on several occasions to my BCN and surgeon and they had no answer for me

Any advice would be very much appreciated. 

J x

• Hi  I'm surprised that your surgeon couldn't give you any advice.  Did he not say if it can be surgically detached?  Does this problem cause you any pain or discomfort because if it does your surgeon really should give you some advice.  Maybe try posting on the ask a nurse thread here https://community.macmillan.org.uk/cancer_experiences/ask_the_expert/ask_a_nurse or calling MacMillan 0808 808 00 00

Hope you find a solution x

• hi GodWilling

many thanks for your reply. When I asked my latest surgeon he said doing any further surgery could cause a pneumothorax and neither of us thought it was worth the risk. The problem does cause me discomfort but doesn’t interfere with my quality of life to a great degree. I just wondered if anyone had similar experience with a simplistic solution but I was probably being unrealistic. Will give the nurse thread a look though.

thanks again. J x