Tamoxifen and sertraline

Hi I have seen my oncologist today and picked up my tamoxifen to start taking. I'm a bit concerned as I take sertraline 100mg and she said that some antidepressants can cause contra indications but thought sertraline was ok. Does anyone else take these two together?

• Hi Artisan

I'm afraid I can't answer your question but I can understand your anxiety.  I assume 'she' is the Oncologist who's prescribed the Tamoxifen.  If so, she should be checking it out before prescribing, in my opinion

I would be inclined to discuss this with a pharmacist (at your local/usual pharmacy first, get some information in writing/leaflets etc and either discuss with your GP or the Oncologist, showing her the printed information.

If it were myself, I would then expect her to discuss with a pharmacist and get back with you.  I wish you all the best regarding this and your recovery   {{{Hugs}}}

• Thank you for your reply. I think I will ask the pharmacist and see what they say x

• Hiya, 

I have been taking those 2 medications since September. I also queried it with my oncologist and GP after reading about the possible interactions and they said there’s no documented evidence to suggest I shouldn’t take them both. I’ve kind of put it to the back of my mind but I also use it as an incentive to weaning off the sertraline soon. 
    dawn x

• Hi DawnyB

I wondered about coming off the sertraline but feel it's not the right time maybe after the radiotherapy I might try halving the dose.

I did come off them once before but found I was very anxious and felt much better on them.

I think with everything going on I'll put it to the back of my mind too - just focus now on the tamoxifen and blood clot worry first lol

Jane x

• My surgeon told me that citalopram is the only SSRI that can be taken with Tamoxifen. Luckily that’s the one I was on anyway.

• Hi Sue

Unfortunately I can't take citalopram as it caused heart problems and I was switched to sertraline. Hopefully there will be some indication if there is interaction but it's a bit of a dilemma at the moment.

Jane x