Cervical cancer

A support group for anyone affected by cervical cancer to come together, share experiences, and ask questions.

Gynae app next week - help please

bb1972
Posted by

I’ve had a transvaginal scan that showed “something” on cervix they want to investigate further so have an appointment next Thursday. My doctor said it will be hysteroscopy and/or MRI. I’ve not really received any other information but what’s involved in these procedures?

today I had the most horrific pelvic pain. It lasted only for a second thank goodness but it was intense very low down in line with belly button. It was shooting pain sharpe with pins and needles down both arms. I experienced something similar when I had a smear test recently. I had to have 3 smears before I got a clear reading - the others were inadequate readings.

i have recently come off the pill after 30 years so goodness knows when my period will be. Can I still go to my appointment next week if I’m bleeding? I’m seriously thinking of paying for an MRI becse I am fed up with these tests not knowing what’s wrong, I’m petrified I will get this pain again

Arla
Posted by

Hi BB,

To look at your cervix they usually do a colposcopy and to look at your womb they do a hysteroscopy;  if they see anything that looks amiss they will take a biopsy, send it to the lab and from there a few weeks later you will get a diagnosis. the MRI won't actually diagnose you if it is cancer, you need the lab results for that. I got an MRI scan after my diagnosis to let them plan for my hysterectomy. The hysterectomy was the only treatment that I needed (I had womb cancer).

Have you told your gp about the pains? They might be able to help with them while you wait.

During the hysteroscopy they insert a speculum, like when you have a smear test, then they insert a camera and have a good look at your womb and can take a sample if they need to. To put your mind at ease a bit, the stats say that 90% of people who have a womb biopsy get the all clear. It helps to take some pain killers about an hour before your appointment. 

For the MRI scan it helps if you don't wear clothes with metal in them, but no problem if you do, they will give you a gown. They ask some screening questions then they give you a cannula. In my cannula they gave me some buscopan, then half way through the scan they gave me a contrast injection. In the scanner room they put you on a bed and secure you in a comfy position, they then ease you into the machine and give you some music to listen to and a buzzer if you need to call them. If you are at all nervous about the scan, let them know, they are so lovely and supportive. It's a bit tight, especially as I have a big belly lol but nothing at all to worry about, if I can fit in anyone can.

ive put links to the NHS explanations of a colposcopy and hysteroscopy below for you, lots of love and please let us know how you get on.

xxx

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/colposcopy/ 

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/hysteroscopy/ 

bb1972
Posted by

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply - I so appreciate it, thank you x

i mentioned to dr on phone about the pain she just said yes the hospital will check you over.. didn’t seem that bothered tbh.. 

I’ve had a colposcopy before and it wasn’t uncomfortable but something is up there causing this pain and I’m so worried - I just want to know. I had cervical ectropian I think about 7 or 8 years ago and cryotherapy - freezing off the cells? All these weeks of waiting is playing me up. I’m not eating, can’t sleep, just worried.. feels like everything is on hold and I can’t enjoy myself. I know there are so many people worse off than me though ..I’m sorry for whinging x

Arla
Posted by

You are not whinging, you are just scared, it's a scary time not knowing what's happening, I'm actually waiting for results myself at the moment, I've been waiting on a scan since Feb, had it at the end of July and now just want the results, so I completely get the anxiety and worry, except I'm over eating with the stress, I dare not weigh myself lol! 

I am getting by with distraction, work, treating myself to All Of The Food and being a bit grumpy lol, I'm also trying to still make plans with friends even though I'm really not in the mood.

I was getting bad pain before my diagnosis but it was from adenomyosis and not from the cancer, so sometimes these things do have non cancerous reasons, they also found lots of cysts on my ovaries which weren't cancerous, so it's not always the worst case scenario. 

Use the site as a safe place to vent, we all know the pain of waiting and worrying 

lots of love

xxx

bb1972
Posted by

Thank you Arla. I hope your results are good news, I really do. How much longer do you have to wait?

You’re so right, it is scary. I’m keeping busy with work as I work from home. I have a bike race tomorrow and bbq. Yes keeping busy is for the best for us x

The letter from my GP said my ovaries looked fine, as did my womb but the is something showing on cervix.. I’m totally dreading my appointment as I don’t want to deal with that pain again although in my letter it just say gynae app and nothing else..

wahoo - I’m all for the love of food! I’ve just been to M&S for for lovely grub.. I’m right with ya there hun heehee xx take care and hope you and everyone else has an enjoyable sunny weekend xx

Arla
Posted by

They keep saying it won't be long but I wouldn't be surprised if it took another week at least, I'll keep phoning to check. 

I hope you have had a great day with your lovely food and at the bike race and BBQ, a good day out with great food should help your mood no end.

xxx