Cervical cancer

A support group for anyone affected by cervical cancer to come together, share experiences, and ask questions.

Waiting for diagnosis 2 week referral sent

KL85
Posted by

Hi. I have been referred on the 2 week urgent referral scheme for suspected cervical cancer. I have a yearly smear test and was due one a few weeks ago but came on my period on 1st April and it hasn’t stopped since. I went to the drs last week and they gave me Tranexamic Acid which did nothing except make it more clotted. Went back yesterday and get this referral done. Yet I have no idea what’s going to happen or anything just waiting for a call. I’ve not been able to think straight since. I can’t sleep and have been constantly thinking about it. I know the statistics are 9 out of 10 will get the all clear. But can’t help but worry. I have had previous bleeding after intercourse feeling sick (although checked several times and not pregnant) felt tired and had on off pains in pelvis but feel deep inside (hard to explain)bloating and my stools have become loose most of the time. Just wanted to talk somewhere as my parents already panicked enough with just telling them I was referred so didn’t want to put this on them too. 

Previous smears all clear except one in 2003 which is why I have them yearly.

Thankyou for listening. 

Arla
Posted by

Hi kl,

waiting for results and tests is just the pits, I think everyone on this site would agree with that. It's great that you went to your doctor so quickly, that your doctors have quickly referred you on for further tests and that you are having regular screening (I had/have womb cancer and it took from Feb till June for me to get a diagnosis then until Aug for an operation, so I totally understand the torment of waiting). 

So, how to pass the time while you wait, keep as busy as you can, do anything at all that you enjoy and that keeps you distracted and your mind busy, I'd also recommend avoiding google, stick to the NHS website, jos trust or Macmillan for your information if you feel the need to look things up.

we are here to keep you company whilst you wait 

lots of love and please let us know how you get on

xxx

KL85
Posted by

Hi thankyou for your advice. I have bought a couple of books to read as I love reading. I am sorry to hear you have womb cancer and hope you’re doing ok. Me panicking over waiting seems trivial to your circumstances. Would like to spring clean but am too tired and have no motivation for that lol. Going to call the hospital today as I realised they don’t have my new number and didn’t realise. 

Thankyou. Have a good day and will update soon hopefully with good news xx

Arla
Posted by

I have been treated with a hysterectomy only so I'm hopefully cancer free now, I'm just waiting on my two year check up in August and then they leave me open to phone if I have any problems for another three years and then they discharge me, so not so bad at all considering. 

It's not trivial to worry, the worrying is the worst part to deal with as your mind drives you crazy, I'm glad that you are getting some relief with the books, I wouldn't fancy spring cleaning either lol.

lots of love

xxx