Cervical cancer

A support group for anyone affected by cervical cancer to come together, share experiences, and ask questions.

Are doctor's honest with you?

Cinders19
Posted by

Hiya, 

My mum who is 53 has been diagnosed with cervical cancer. She has it on her cervix/womb/vagina area. Its 8cm and is pressing on her left ureter tube. She currently has a tube and bag to empty her left kidney. They have done so many tests on her to diagnose fully and we're currently awaiting results from a camera that was put into her bladder as they needed to check there. Her pelvic lymph nodes look abnormal but it hasn't been confirmed if these are cancerous or just inflamed like her thyroid and lung lymph were. 

Shes has just started carbo/taxol chemo once a week for 6 weeks. Then 5 weeks of 5 days a week radio and chemo then she will have 2 weeks of brachatherapy. The consultants haven't said if this is curable or palliative etc. and my mum is too scared to ask. So would doctors be honest with you? 

Also any good advice or stories are welcome, thank you x

summer1234
Posted by

Dear Cindes19

I am very sorry to hear about your mums diagnosis and wish her the very best with her treatment. I believe from my experience that the oncologists are very honest and the treatment intent is dependent on stage, Your mums treatment plan does sound like the curative treatment that is given but obviously she would need to decide if she wanted to ask her oncologist if she wanted to be told the survival rates for her stage - I did ask and they told me 60% but many people have told me to be cautious when worrying about these numbers as they are at least five years old, include people who did not complete treatment; died of other causes, old age etc etc. Lots of people get excellent results with this treatment and since my diagnosis have made some wonderful friends living a good life beyond this cancer and hope your mum will do just the same x

Cinders19
Posted by

Thank you so much for replying, I'm also glad you said that this treatment has excellent results as I have been worrying about this too so hopefully this will really help my mum get better! I hope you are well and thank you again for your advice xx