Cervical cancer

A support group for anyone affected by cervical cancer to come together, share experiences, and ask questions.

Trachelectomy

Tealady2020
Posted by

I have been accepted for the trachelectemy just wondering if anyonelse has had it. Booked in for 6th July wish me luck guys I'm so scared xx

fireworkgirl
Posted by

I had a trachelectomy in 2013, I was lucky because only 1 surgeon could perform this operation in N.Ireland. i had keyhole surgery and the surgery itself went well. One point is that you should take prune juice with you, i wasnt allowed out until my bowels worked and it was some job! 

I had some additional problems with my bladder not working after surgery and it is still troublesome.

Undortunately something happened durung my surgery and damage was done to my back affe ting my leg. The actual surgery left me with small scars where they removed my lymph nodes....tiny unnoticeable scars now. There was another scar under the pubic line....everything healed quickly. I was told it wouldnt affect fertility but it did and i gave up hope of ever having another child apart from my little girl.

Be pleased that this is your treatment plan as its the best of all options. I had to do my own research and ask if i could have the operation and i consider myself very lucky. I hope it all goes very well for you and that you sail through the operation. 

Arla
Posted by

Hi tea lady,

There is a great Blog on the site called 'at your cervix' written by a girl named Gerry who has had a trachelectemy. It's a warts and all account full of humour and practical advice.

good luck with your operation, I second the advice about prune juice, after my hysterectomy (I had womb cancer) I was mega constipated - not good!

Lots of love 

Xxx

Friel1982
Posted by

Hi Tealady i had a abdominal trach and lymph node removal in jan..im still recovering now with some complications after surgery..i was hospital for over a week as i ended up with a trapped nerve and couldnt walk properly without falling :-(...i was a 7hr op and 3hr in recovery...i had a very hard time in hospital and when i got home but we are all different..take all the pain relief they offer lol and peppermint tea for the trapped gas and some big girl pants and baggy clothing...im still off work with problems with fluid and i also have problems with bladder as well and always need a wee and feel full...and ive still had no period either since surgery :-(....if u want 2 know anymore just msg me...everybody is different and will cope different...also its very emotionally difficult for me as well xxxx

Tealady2020
Posted by

Firstly thankyou all for your replies its nice to be able to talk to other people that have been in my situation.

Will take some prun juice with me just in Case. I also have to have some lymph nodes out so slightly worried about that too. I think my biggest concern is my fertility afterwards. I'm 26 and have not yet been blessed with children. I was also told that apart from lymph nodes being done by robot thing the rest will be done vaginally which I've been nervous about as the only person who can do it is a male. I know its his job and its the best option for me plus I'll be asleep but I'm just really weirded out by it is that stupid?? Also slightly worried about it coming back. Only 3 weeks to go so not long. 

I hope all you ladies are doing well now or get better soon. Thankyou all again for your advice and the links I'm very grateful xxxx

Arla
Posted by

Hi tea lady,

I had a hysterectomy but understand what you mean about the male surgeon, when mine checked to see if he could remove my womb through my vagina I felt a bit weirded out. He couldn't, I had open surgery. Check ups are a bit awkward too, but I find it helps lying back, not looking and trying to detach myself from the whole process. It's a shame that there aren't more female gynaecologists. It helps me to think of my surgeon as the man saving my life, rather than the man who gets to rake about my vagina lol, I'm sure to them it's just another day at the office, like looking at the same desk every day. 

It's also normal to worry about recurrence, what I tell myself about that is that I'm super vigilant at looking for symptoms and will be onto my team quick smart if I see anything. Your team will also check up on you, your not left to your own devices. My CNS lets me call her with any worries and quickly puts my mind at ease.

Xxx

Tealady2020
Posted by

Hi arla,

I keep telling myself he's the man that's saving my life but still feels weird lol. I'll get used to it eventually as he told me I'll have to have regular check ups for next 10 years so don't have a choice really. I'm really confused as to how it can recure when there removing the whole cervix don't think I'll ever fully understand it. 

There's also the fact that the post op book I was given says I'm not allowed to shave before the op  (any idea why this is )which is not very nice I'd prefer to tidy up down there before hand but doesn't look like I can. 

Thankyou again for replying its muchly appreciated xx

fireworkgirl
Posted by

I think its totally normal to be weirded out by the whole operation set up....its NOT dignified!!! I had the same procedure as you and the scars will be very minimal. Its the whole thought of it but by the time you have check ups you get less nervous and weird. 

The thought of the cancer returning is one that stays in the back of your mind..maybe forever...maybe that's a good thing to keep us aware. 

It's a very roller coaster jourmey, personally i was quite calm and focused throughout and i was more worried about my 3 yr old. Its a good idea to keep busy and take each stage like a boxing ring match.

Its a horrible situation to be in but you can get through this and come out the other side. Afterwards it's like a bad dream and the shock can hit then. This group is great because there's always been someone who has been through what you are going through..no matter what that is. Good luck keeping busy over the next 3 weeks xx 

Tealady2020
Posted by

Hi firework girl,

I'm glad its not just me that feels weird by the whole thing. Im sure it will get easier as time goes by. I'll deffinatly be more aware now. I was one of those people who always said oh it won't happen to me which I now know is totally nieve of me. At the moment apart from the normal worries I don't think its fully hit me  yet so It will probably hit me afterwards. A lot of people think the same. I agree this group is great u lady's have really helped to calm my nerves with all ur advice so thankyou all for that. 

I hope u don't mind me asking but have u attempted to get pregnant since ur op. If so how did u get on. This is my biggest concern as like I say I have not yet had any kids but had been trying before I was diagnosed 

Thanks again for talking xxx

Arla
Posted by

Hi tealady,

Your not allowed to shave before the op to prevent infection, but you will wake up with a new haircut as they sort that out for you when you are sleeping. It took me a few days to realise that everything was different lol.

Xxx

Tealady2020
Posted by

Hi arla,

Now I think about it that makes sense. Thanks for clearing that up for me. One less job for me to do I guess lol 

Thanks again xxxx

fireworkgirl
Posted by

Hi Tealady,

I think i should have had my name coffeewoman as i live on the stuff. Fireworkgirl was a name my first proper boyfriend referred to me as, it was a song by a band called the Dogs D'amour (many a decade or 2 or 3.....firework girl and fuse blues kid!!! The number of times people think i work for the fire department is unreal lol

On the more serious side...your question about fertility about the treatment, just remember we are all different and i was 36 when i had my daughter and 39 when i was diagnosed with cancer. I tried for 2 years after treatment and i gave up believing i obviously wasnt meant to have another child. I wasnt married but in a long term relationship, i would have loved to have had more kids but hey ho! That's not the plan and i now have a pretty full on job with my 9yr old autistic daughter....so you just never know what's around the corner. 

I think adrenalin and worrying about every one else got me threw the diagnosis and op but i had a hard time afterwards when i was alone. I avoided people, stayed in alot and looking back i think i was a bit traumatised. A word of caution i had trouble with my bladder not working immediately after the op and had to stay in longer, 5 years on and i still have trouble. 

The great thing about this group is that you can ask any amount of weird and slightly TMI questions without fear of offending people. So ask away, there will always be someone to reply Stay positive and you will sail through the next few weeks x

Tealady2020
Posted by

Hi again firework girl ( coffee woman )

I have no idea who dogs d'amour are I'm afraid but will look them up later n have a listen. 

I'm kind of same with worrying about everyone else n how their coping with it. Especially my parents. They took it really hard, I've never seen my dad cry so much. I keep trying to tell them it will all be OK in the end. I think there more in shock because of my age. My consultant didn't help by telling us its very rare to get the type of cancer I have at my age, but I'm sure that can't be true as cancer doesn't discriminate. I just can't wait till its all over but I know its going to take time.

I also think my parents think that I'm not taking it serious enough because I'm trying to carry on as normal as possible. I know if I break down in front of them it will make them feel worse which will make me worse and so on. How do I let them know that I understand the situations fully and I know its serious. I just prefer to cry alone. 

How long roughly can I expect to be in hospital as the surgeon thinks it will only be a night as I'm having op done at 7.30 in morning. ( seems to soon ). Also any advice on travelling after the op as its a 5-6 hour drive home which is slightly nerve racking anything I can do to make the journey more comfortable. I'm worried about seatbelt. ( and my privates). As its being done through my vagina I'm expecting it to be rather sore. 

Thankyou again for your replies xxx

fireworkgirl
Posted by

Hi again Tealady

Lord above....they think you will be out the same day, that hardly seems right to me. I wanted to be out the same day and they said to me to plan for at least 3 days and longer if there were any complications. I ended up being in for 5 because my bladder wouldnt work but i also passed a very large blood clot one night and i nearly passed out. I have to say that tb3r cancer ward i was in in Belfast was pretty atrocious. We actually looked after each other a lot, we were left to help each other to the toilet and shared prunes and prune juice. If you have to travel home i would suggest a pillow placed over your stomach and then put the seatbelt on. It actually helps to press down on the pillow if you are going over bumps. 

I have to admit that you do feel a bit bashed and brusied but i couldn't figure out what was sorest. The other major issue i had was trapped air in my chest cavity.....i was in excruciating pain and none of my family could understand why i was gripping my chest. Of course they fill you with air but if you get left with it in you....wow!!! Peppermint tea is supposed to help alrhough i found this out after 5 days left in immense pain. The surgety pain really hit me when i got home but to be honest it wasnt too bad.I expected that because a lot of the work was being done vaginally that i would feel like i'd been violated with a tree but i didnt. I recovered really quickly but emotionally it took alot longer!! 

All you can do is sit down with your parents and tell them that you are taking it seriously but that your way of coping is to focus positively and convince them that you need that kind of support. Positivity really does help and i would only ever cry when i was alone because i was worried to cry in front of everyone else.

I had a horrible experience in hospital, was in at 6am and then kept waiting for them to finally tell me i had to come back next week. I had already been given diazepam and i freaked out telling them tbat i had had to prepare my 3 yr old that mummy was going into hospital and would be ok when i got out.....i wasnt leaving! I got up all drugged up, trying to put my clothes, crying, falling over trying to get my knickers on (very dignified) lol i told them straight that if i had to walk out of the hospital that day i would never walk back into it again. All drugged up i was very brave lmao....if worked! I had my surgery done at 6pm, worrried the crap out of my parents, partner and sister in law.....i didnt have any time to come round and was thrown back onto the ward....the treatment i received was MUCH worse than the pain...i hope your hospital is much better wherever you are. You will be fine and will recover much quicker than you imagine. 

Be strong. Think ahead and plan to do somethimg really nice when you come out the other side xx