Abnormal CIN3 smear

• 3 replies
  • 24 subscribers

Hi everyone, this is a long one so sorry. Back in 2018 I have a abnormal CIN3 smear, I tried to go for a colposcopy and managed to get as far as having the dye put onto my cervix before a freaked out and asked them to stop. Fast forward to now and I have started bleeding after sex. Terrified I went to my doctors who gave me another smear and due to not having the previous treatment refereed me for a biopsy straight away. I explained that due to past domestic violence and rape I asked that this was done under a general and today went for what I thought was a pre op. It wasn’t they wanted to treat me and I broke down and told them everything. They were amazing!! They managed to calm me down and agreed to let me have a general and also talked me into letting the doctor just dye my cervix and have a look so she knew in her words “how quickly we need to get your procedure appointment” the rest is a bit of a blur of hyperventilating, crying and squeezing the nurses hand so hard I’m surprised she didn’t leave me. But at the end the doctor said to me that again I quote “your cervix doesn’t look as bad as your most recent smear suggests” I asked her what she means by this as it’s three weeks since my smear and I’ve still not had the results and she said I quote “it said your results were cancer” 

well now I’ve calmed down and thinking rationally I have so many questions. I didn’t think a smear could detect cancer? is that really how I’m going to be told if I do have it? Can I call the colposcopy clinic or my doctors and ask them for my smear results? 
help please and sorry for the long read

• Hi  and welcome to our group.

You did very well to get as far as you did at your appointment given your previous trauma, and being able to have a GA for biopsies and any treatment needed will be hugely helpful for your mental health. 

A smear is not a diagnostic test for cancer. It is simply a test for the hpv virus and then an assessment of any abnormal cells caused by this, so a smear test is not how you would find out if you have cancer. You need biopsies to be examined to assess whether there is cancer, and subsequent scans to determine the grade and stage of this.

Normally CIN3 cells would require treatment when they are found, as typically this level of abnormality would not regress and “go away” on its own, but I understand why you were unable to go through with this in 2018. You should have been offered a GA for treatment at that point.

I would check with your gp or clinic to see if they have the smear test results available yet, though it actually really won’t matter too much as you are already going to be scheduled for a biopsy under GA. The only procedure which will confirm whether or not you have cancer is the biopsy. 

Your doctor can have a good idea of what is going on with your cervix, but still won’t know for certain whether you have cancerous or pre cancerous cells at this point. 

I hope you won’t have too long to wait for your next appointment, and that your results are good once any biopsies are carried out.

Please keep posting in the group with any questions or if you need support-we have a lovely group of very supportive and encouraging ladies who can help you along the way.

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Thank you for your kind words. I’m hoping i won’t be waiting to long as she was already on the phone to someone about me while I was next door getting dressed again. I think maybe she just worded or wrong or it could be possible that I even misunderstood her with the state I’d got myself into. 

Fingers crossed everything goes well from now on and thank you again you’ve put my mind at rest a lot 

• It’s very easy to get in a state, or misunderstand things-even completely miss them because of the stress and panic we experience.

I went in alone for my biopsy results and probably took in very little after hearing the word cancer. I took my partner to every subsequent appointment and the extra pair of ears was very useful! They remembered things I’d completely missed. 

The way I would look at it is to try not to panic yet or give yourself unnecessary fear and worry about something that you cannot control. The results will be what they are, but until a biopsy confirms cancer, please don’t think you have it. 

Let’s hope you get answers soon and that your results are good ones. 

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm