Breast cancer

Affected by breast cancer? Join this group to share experiences and ask questions to people who understand what you're going through.

Colouring hair after chemo

Janice2009
Posted by
Hi guys Anyone dyed their hair after chemo ? Hiw long did you wait? And what products are best to use. The websites all say 6 months but I can't wait that long :-( x
Janice
Lulu34
Posted by
I bleached the tips of mine about 9 weeks after my last chemo... It had started growing in a wee bit during my last few cycles so was about an inch or so long at the time but very grey so on post treatment meet up at centre parks with another 19 girls off BC care website one of them brough along some hair dye.... A few glasses of wine later and I had blonde highlights! It wasn't right to the roots which is what I was afraid of doing but I know some people use these vegetable dyes I think you can get from holland and Barrett but I think people have very differing effects from it. My hair is only a few mm long since chemo this time so not quite long enough to attack with the dye... But it will be coming out in the near future lol.

Love Lulu xx

ellen63
Posted by

Hi Janice

The research I have done and from what my bc nurse told me is that you can colour your hair after 8 weeks as long as you use plant based dyes. The chemicals in normal hair dyes can damage your hair if used that early as your hair is not strong anough. Boots and health stores stock them.

Hopefully at the end of May I will have an inch of hair that I can colour :)

I too can't wait as I have quite a bit of grey and I usually dye it dark brown lol

Good luck

Ellen

Ellen

tessa2
Posted by
I had mine highlighted about four weeks post chemo and it was fine. The hair can't be damaged as it is dead already, it is any pulling on the follicles you have to be a bit careful of - hence needing to delay extensions for a few weeks post chemo. Tess x
If life throws lemons at you, make lemonade.
Janice2009
Posted by
Thanks ladies x no way could I wait for 6 months !! It's only 5 weeks since last chemo so I know I'll still have to leave it for a bit as haven't got much. But it's grey on the top and dark on the sides. Be quite happy once it's fuller to show it but only if it's all the same colour! Extensions are a long way off but I'm looking forward :-) xx
Janice
Mimi
Posted by

Ellen,

what are the names of the plant based dyes and where can you get them.

I desperatley waant to get rid of my grey. My chemo nurse told me to wait 6 months and my hairdresser said to wait a year. Summers coming and i don't want to wait that long.

I used the cold cap and have not losed my hair, but it does feel horrible and wiry.

Gill

pea60
Posted by

You can colour your hair with ordinary henna (from most Asian supermarkets.....if you live near any?) or if you try wholefood/health food shops they usually sell plant based hair dyes. These are massively dearer than using henna but less messy......and more choice of shades.

Pea60

jan-jan
Posted by

beaware henna if your hair is grey it will become a bright orange ,there are coloured mouuses available from either your own styliest or from boots superdrug etc or online where you can also look for vegetable based colours

good luck ladies

janxxx

ClareC
Posted by
Hi there, I haven't had chemo yet but on diagnosis of lymphoma I changed my diet and also all products I used on hair, skin etc. traces of normal hair dye can show up in your urine 15 mins after putting it on....that's strong!! I use naturtint and it's ok but seems to wash out / fade after 3 weeks. You can get it on amazon or any food health food shop. There is another good brand but I can't remember name at moment but will let you know if I remember. If you get from amazon, go to mac website and there is a link to amazon from there and then anything you purchase sends a donation to mac (if that makes sense?). Happy colouring. Clare x
Mimi
Posted by

I'm still looking for the most suitable hair colour to use post chemo.

Several of you have mentioned plant/vegatable based products and i have been looking in Boots trying to work out which ones these are.

Are the Botanics range suitable ones, they seem to be the only ones in store that suggest plant based.

Has anyone used them?

Many thanks for any help, i really want to get rid of my grey but don't want to damage my hair.

Gill

susan@fhc
Posted by

post your results please - I've got one more chemo and my hair seems to gone competely white - I definately need something to bring back my youth!!

TMJ
Posted by

Hiya,

Try Lush they sell Henna Hair dye which is as plant based as you can get. All their products are freshly made so no nasty chemicals. I managed to keep my hair but it was badly damaged from the cold cap and have been using their hair treatment products which have worked a treat.

Mimi
Posted by

Thanks T,

Is henna safe to use though, have heard it can make your hair go funny colours, ie orange

Gill

Caz718
Posted by

I have just looked on Holland and Barrett and they are £8.99-£9.99, im starting chemo in a couple of weeks and would like to dye mine before I start as I have some gray bits and my old dye is growing out, anybody got any thoughts on this?

Carole

TMJ
Posted by

only the rouge ones can make it go orange. Have a look on their website :-)