We understand that people with cancer are worried about coronavirus. Here is the latest guidance. We will update it regularly.

Breast cancer

Affected by breast cancer? Join this group to share experiences and ask questions to people who understand what you're going through.

••• June BC Radiotherapy Club 2020 •••

Grunchy
Posted by

Sorry to hear glad you’ve got cream and dressing to help it heal and hope you’ve got strong pain meds. Treatment is like swings and roundabouts. Speedy healing xxx

Gail 
Jostar
Posted by

Morning everyone. 

CBRY oh I'm sorry that it is so sore. I think it definitely is the heat. I would try and let the natural air get yo skin, especially at night. I'm no doctor so I may be wrong, but can only go by what is helping me. I have a fan on and wear something really lose. Then I have a v shaped pillow that I anchor under my self so that my skin doesn't get chafed whilst I'm asleep. 

Quick update on me... Radiation fast track completed. Skin has become hard and I have a sensitive nipple. Will give it 2 weeks an dam hoping these side effects start subsiding. 

Kwissy
Posted by

Hi Everyone, 
Completed my 5 Fast Forward today and rang the bell vigorously!! However since getting home I feel deflated somehow and very weepy! I expect it is normal but I thought I had come to terms with every tvhing.I find I am getting cross when friends and family talk of it all being over now - NO  it isn’t !! I’ve still got to get through the next 5 years of Letrozole, mammograms and presumably follow up appointments and all the worry they bring. , to say nothing of the soreness etc of post radiotherapy(speaking from previous experience) My boob is already very pink and edging towards tender, oh the joys of it all!!To cap it all had a row with hubby over what we are having for this evening’s meal which I thought was planned out earlier in the week.  Rant over -  I feel a bit foolish for going on in this way but better for having got it off my chest.!! Thanks for being there  xxx

Pusheen
Posted by

Hi kwissy 

I finished 24 sessions in april this year. The bell had been taken away due to covid so I took my own little bell and rang it on way out on my own, there was hardly anyone in dept. I felt relieved but same as u felt a bit odd when got home like I couldn't celebrate.  

Xxx

Quince
Posted by

Four weeks after the end of 5 sessions, and have been pretty lucky on side effects but still have waves of utter fatigue.  Perhaps that’s exacerbated by the heat.  Any idea how long that goes on?

Kwissy
Posted by

Hi CBRY,

I hope your pain is subsiding now and thanks to the Flamazine and Polymem pads your skin is improving.What you descibe is exactly what happened to my skin 21 years ago and I know the pain you were in.The hot weather will certainly not be helping.

Sorry I didn't reply yesterday one of my "dark" ones as I expected to feel elated post radiotherapy this time and somehow didn't. (see my post of yesterday and history)

Be vigilent with your skin care as suggested by the team and it will heal,although you may not think so at the moment. I am living proof of that. Sending you very best wishes and gentle hugs too xxxKwissy

Kwissy
Posted by

Hi Quince,

It is so individual as to how long the fatigue goes on for and all i can suggest is just to rest when you need to, listen to your body as they say. The heat at the moment is flagging everyones energy and the covid situation isn't helping either! I found  in the past that a little walk  gradually increasing in length helped to ease the fatigue. I know this seems strange but it did work for me. At some stage you suddenly (or so it seems) realise that you haven't needed the afternoon nap that had become normal. Wishing you all the best and genle hugs xxxKwissy

paris66
Posted by

I still have lumpy scar tissue under my scar around where areola/nipple was. Will this be picked up on CT scan at initial appt. and will it affect radiotherapy 

Dreamthief
Posted by

Hi,

The July Radiotherapy discussion has been started and can be found clicking here.

This one will be 'locked' for replies sometime soon.

Thanks, G n' J

Kwissy
Posted by

Hi paris66,

My scar tissue was around the top of the areola/nipple and was also a little lumpy. This did not cause any problems at the CT scan or while I had 5 sessions of Fast Forward radiotherapy.I finished them  on friday 26th. I was advised to apply the Epaderm cream supplied by them, especially carefully around the areola and nipple as they may be particularly liable to problems.Up to now just pink/redness of skin in the treated area.

I wish you well with your scan and future treatment. xx

paris66
Posted by

Thank you for your reply - that puts my mind at rest.  Were your lumps internal- ie under your scar part of breast tissue or external- actually on the scar line 

Kwissy
Posted by

Hi paris66,

Glad to be of help.A bit of both really , the scar line was a bit puckered -skin was glued together so maybe moved a little before it was completely dry.  It hasn't caused any problems though. From my experience scars often flatten out in time, so hopefully that will happen for us both! Sending hugs xx

Rachel - Macmillan
Posted by

Hi everyone, 

I hope you don't mind me posting here, I just wanted to let you know the June thread is now locked but if you click here you will be taken to the July BC Radiotherapy Club thread. 

Best wishes, 

Rachel
Macmillan's Community team