We understand that people with cancer are worried about coronavirus. Here is the latest guidance. We will update it regularly.

Breast cancer

Affected by breast cancer? Join this group to share experiences and ask questions to people who understand what you're going through.

Accord brand Letrozole

Dreamthief
Posted by

Hi,

According to this NICE Letrozole pricing sheet Femara should be just over £90 per pack of 30 tablets - That is what the NHS is charged if on prescription ?

Having to pay anything over £100 seems someone is taking advantage :-/

G n' J

Londonmumof2
Posted by

NICE also list Sandoz brand, which I thought was the closest to Femara and made by the same company, so are they still available? They are only £2.04!! A quick search online shows that they are still used in France at least, and are made in Germany.

https://bnf.nice.org.uk/medicinal-forms/letrozole.html

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet.  Stephen Hawking,
Dreamthief
Posted by

Hi 

Yeah!  The list is a bit out of date as Sandoz Letrozole were discontinued around June 2018  Don't know if this only applied to the UK though ?

Shame really as most who managed to get them found they were the same as Femara as they were made by Novartis and easier to get hold of as Sandoz is the generic company side of Novartis.

G n' J

calador
Posted by

hi every one on letrozole,

I have struggled with it for a year now. I can only say that I don,'t trust Cipla. As Dreamthief says there is a list and the best is from Novartis who were the first to produce it. Once their patent ran out after 4 years it was open to the generics. I was given Cipla and the side effects were bad..so I managed to get Accord, and the effects did subside. Accord came from Barnstaple and seemed reliable. Then Cipla were reported in the financial papers as having taken over Accord. Nothing would change except their name...they said. but the tablets were now an orange tint, and Cipla had been adding tetrazine , Now that ingredient isn't listedby them  I believe but when I tried another brand the tablets were also a lighter colour so I have stayed with that now.

I believe , after a year, that the first really bad side effects are because we are losing oestrogen whatever brand we are on. I finally got over my hormonal screaming fits at my poor partner,I  take glucosomine,and  Udo,s Choice  for joint pain, (still stiff first thing, but not too bad later} so if it is any small comfort it does seem to become more manageable, ...but I did think Cipla now Accord was the worst. I have finally  found a good pharmacy who seem to be very helpful so do try for that because you need someone on your side. Good luck and love to all.

Jackie44
Posted by

Hi All

i have been on Cipla Letrozole for a week now and, fingers crossed, no side effects yet.  When did your side effects kick in?  I haven’t had chemo so I’m not feeling the impact of that as some of you are.  I’m about to start radiotherapy on 4th Feb.

Lots of luck to you all x

Londonmumof2
Posted by

I found this with a quick search and dated last month

https://www.doctissimo.fr/medicament-LETROZOLE-SANDOZ.htm (France)

and 2 weeks ago

http://base-donnees-publique.medicaments.gouv.fr/extrait.php?specid=65224722

so they still make it....but how to get it is another story!

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet.  Stephen Hawking,
peterawake
Posted by

Oh what a price difference! Truly ridiculous but we need them!  Recently I have begun to loathe them because they cause such problems, for me it is the irritable mood and mood swings that upset me the most, although my joints are painful that doesn't make me scream!! 

WhatHappened
Posted by

Owww this letrozole and oestrogen arrrghh 

I have taken Femara and have felt I am doing 'okay', whilst taking this I have had trigger thumb; in both thumbs, this has now cleared up, although my thumb joints still feel 'strange/stiff/swollen' I can't fully bend my thumbs in a gripping position, saying this, I can't remember how they were before, however, I didn't have problems gripping items - I do know, especially trying to open a plastic top from a bottle of water - agony!!

I wake up with very achy and stiff fingers and joints in both my hands, this eases as I bend and straighten for a while.  After sitting when I get up I walk like my ankles are fused; slowly they loosen up..... I do joke with this, as if I am putting the walk on (the sad part is, I'm not).

I so had to laugh when I was reading your post about the 'irritable mood and mood swings' (I'm still laughing), if only I had a brain.... there was me thinking I had become a stronger person, that I wasn't standing for shitè anymore, especially my other half, I was thinking it was down to me 'not standing for rubbish from anyone anymore, finally standing up for myself - albeit a little quick haha'!!!! and now you say its a side effect - I thought how good I am, even if 5 minutes later I'm like a different person.... from shouting and swearing to.... would you like a cup of tea arrgghhhhh  hahahahaha

Can I throw this into the equation, you all know I do this every time side effects are mentioned....

'How much of these symptoms are down to 'side effects' and how much of these side effects are actually down to 'how our body's are dealing with far less oestrogen'??

Hmmmm :) xxxxx

WhatHappened
Posted by

, the aritcile 'looks' really interesting - do you know if it can be translated.

I will keep looking and if I find a way I'll post it.

Thank you xx