Breast cancer

Affected by breast cancer? Join this group to share experiences and ask questions to people who understand what you're going through.

Rib discomfort almost 2 years after surgery and radiotherapy for breast cancer

jmp
Posted by

Hi

I still have the after effects of radiotherapy: 2013-14.
The Radiography machine broke down in 2013, so my sessions continued to February 2014! 

Following radiotherapy , I developed Cellulitis and Lymphoedema in op breast ( was told probably infection post op).  
Now, my upper arm and op breast are still being monitored  by NHS Lymphoedema practitioner. 

My profile has the other medical stuff

On my right,  op side, I get a sharp pain if I turn suddenly, also that side gets more numb/ cold from the severed nerves ( 4 Lymph Nodes removed clear).

One of the Consultants told me that I probably have Tietze’s syndrome ( radiation damage to the chest wall), as what is left of the breast feels very bruised.

I also have 8 Titanium marker clips left in (for radiographers),  which I was unaware of until asked the Consultant what the small white marks were on the scan he was looking at !

So yes I concur that radiotherapy after effects may go on for a number of years. 

Judith xx

Pkc4
Posted by

Hi peterawake,

Thanks for your reply. I definitely will let people know if I ask them about it.

Good luck with yours :)

Pkc4
Posted by

Oh boy, Judith! It sounds like you’ve got plenty to keep you busy there! I’m glad to hear they’re still monitoring you so at least you can be reassured.

Hope that the lymphedema doesn't cause you any more problems and the pains ease off soon. :)

toxophilite
Posted by

Yes, me!! Surgeon has checked it out a couple of times, even done another nuclear bone scan. He thinks it is nerve damage and put me on amitryptilene. Sort of helps. It's right where my bra sits......

Karen 

Pkc4
Posted by

Thanks Iknitandstitch.

Glad to hear that there’s no reoccurrence for you and, to be honest, I suspect that I’d find the same if I went back for investigation.

Thanks for sharing your story. It’s reassuring to know others have similar experiences though I’m sorry it means you’re getting those pains too!

Pkc4
Posted by

Thanks Karen.

Its reassuring, in a weird kind of way, to know it’s normal! Glad your concerns have been checked and you’ve had reassurance and some treatment.

Hopefully things settle down soon.

Pkc4
Posted by

KikiB
Posted by

Hi Pck4, I'm 11 months post Lumpectomy and lymph node removal on left breast. I know that feeling! I described it to my BCN and consultant as a stabbing pain under ribcage followed by a toothache ache thrombing feeling followed by feeling like you've been tasered right to your nipple. ( not that I know what it feels like to be tasered )  You get no warning with the Tasered feeling ! I tend to shout out expletives ! Going shopping and suddenly tasered, grabbing your breast and shouting  " Oh ya! Fu**er" gets many looks !!

He said that was the the best description he had heard lol!

I would advise you to get it checked hun just to ease your  mind 

Kiki X
Shieldscannylass
Posted by

Oh your post made me smile, we need to do this letting off steam with a dash of GSOH as it helps balance out the poop going on.    I'm like a volcano waiting to erupt when 'Betty' plays up while wandering the big supermarket aisles all that high stretching and bending getting stuff off the shelves, like you (but in a broad Tyneside accent)  look down at Betty and tell it to 'stop it' but in stronger language  ....  that gets a few looks as since b.c. started my hair has turned white grey and I look decades older than I am so they likely think well not sure ha-ha-ha. 

Maria  xxx
peterawake
Posted by

Oh Shieldscannylass, your post made me laugh!  A volcano waiting to erupt, I feel like the whole BC journey has made me want to erupt far too frequently, I put it down to frustration, pain/discomfort and the dreadful Femara (Letrozole). I'm not the same person I was prior to this lot. I'm pleased to know that others erupt too, makes me feel less guilty about blowing my top!  That's where this site is so invaluable you can get a feeling about how other people are coping/reacting.

toxophilite
Posted by

Yep, volcanic eruptions seem to be pretty much the norm. I certainly have zero tolerance for bulldust these days (not that I had much before!!) and thoughtless idiots get what's coming to them. Pain is a horrible vicious cycle, pain=no sleep=exhaustion=more pain. A few choice curse words go a loooooong way to help relieve the pressure!! I think hubby has accepted that my language is unlikely to improve anytime soon 

Anyone want to borrow my bow and some arrows? It's a great stress reliever!!

xx

Karen 

KikiB
Posted by

Maria  your reply made me laugh too .. Especially the Tyneside accent . I have family from there and I'm Scottish ( Edinburgh) I dont think other accents can beat a Geordie or Scots accent for how passionate and aggressive  we sound when swearing !

When the Taser hits I just can't help it..

Kiki X
KikiB
Posted by

Hi  Peterawake, That horrible Letrozole! I got put on after my womb Cancer ( was on it Tamoxifen before it as I hadn't been through menopause at 49.

Then put onto Letrozole after  hysto n Lumpectomy. 

The joint pain used to make me cry, couldn't sleep, tearful, no appetite at all.

My Oncologist gave me a 3 mth holiday from Letrozole and I feel great . I really don't want to go back on it. I understand not everyone can take a break from it  but defo worth asking about.

Kiki X
Pkc4
Posted by

Definitely good to laugh ladies and a good ould expletive or two just helps express sentiments more fluidly!

Sorry you’re all having to put up with the pain, discomfort, sleepless nights, up n down moods and, did I mention, the absolutely inferno moments! But it’s good to know we’re in good company and keeping our sense of humour ..... at least sometimes anyway  

Silverberg
Posted by

Hi kikib

I'm having a holiday too. I was in a right state with pain, complete brain fog and depression. Sat crying in front of BC nurse and she just said "stop taking it ,have a break" She said some other stuff but I was too busy cheering and dancing/hobbling to hear. Three weeks in I feel so much better.

Damage done on hands though,four trigger fingers. But I've stopped screaming at hubby and dissolving into tears. I'm almost considering double mastectomy rather than go back on it.

Well let's get through Christmas then see what they say.

Gosh it's cold today.

Hugs all round.

I'd rather be polishing a Red Arrow.
Silverberg