Breast cancer

Affected by breast cancer? Join this group to share experiences and ask questions to people who understand what you're going through.

Lumpectomy/oncoplasty experiences

Nanny Dooie
Posted by

Hi everyone... this is my first post  please take a look at my profile to gain an understanding of my situation (sorry it’s so long - I can’t do succinct! ) if anybody has any experience to share of lumpectomy/oncoplasty I’d be interested to hear from them... many thanks  

It is what it is, I can’t change it... so, one day at a time... 
ruthie2
Posted by

Hi I had a similar op in May this year. As I have Poland’s syndrome on my right side my right boob has always been considerably smaller than my left. So as my cancer was in my left we ( my surgeon and i) took the opportunity to reshape and level my boobs out!

The op was longer than anticipated & I ended up staying in overnight but I really am thrilled with the result, I can see that in time the scars will be barely there. It’s been uncomfortable occasionally as it heals inside, but it’s definitely lessening. I start radiotherapy soon and I’m told that there will be a minimal effect - I’ll let you know!

Nanny Dooie
Posted by

Hi ruthie2, thank you for your reply... Wow! I couldn’t have hoped for a better response really! Look forward to hearing back during/after your radiotherapy; hope it all goes smoothly for you :-)

Penny Whistle
Posted by

Hi Nanny Dooie, Just been reading your profile and some areas are similar to my own.  Although I cannot comment on an experience of lumpectomy at this time as I haven't actually gone through it yet! but I do have a decision to make in the very near future. If you read my profile you will see that I also found a lump myself and since then have had many mammograms, ultrasounds and biopsy at two hospitals and still have an MRI to go through! No-one seems to agree whether there is just the one lump or others which doesn't help when it is supposed to assist me to make an informed decision regarding lumpectomy or mastectomy. I'll keep you posted and up-date my profile if you want to chat.

Take care x

Penny Whistle
Nanny Dooie
Posted by

Hi Penny Whistle, thank you for your reply... it’s so tricky isn’t it! I must admit I was taken aback after my second consultant appointment because I was lead to believe that the second lot of tests would either confirm their original findings or deem things to be worse than they initially thought... then I was under the impression a decision would be made about surgery & a date booked... I left that consultation feeling more confused than before I went in! The fact that there’s still an area that is inconclusive I wasn’t prepared for! The fact that they’re intending to remove both areas plus the area between which is bigger than the area on the other side that I went for I wasn’t prepared for! The fact that I now have to have a liver biopsy I wasn’t prepared for! And the fact that I still don’t have a date for surgery I wasn’t prepared for! However... I have tried to reason it through... the inconclusive area... at least they have picked up on it & are dealing with it & time will tell whether anything more extensive needs to be done once they have removed & tested it... the liver... at least they are checking it... feeling very anxious about the actual MRI for that atm as really didn’t like the one I had fifteen years ago so haven’t really focussed on the fact that it might show something nasty lol! I will deal with that if & when it happens! Gotta get through the MRI first! The date for surgery... I will know that in due course... I am thankful they are being thorough. I said from day one that if I’m advised I need a mastectomy then obviously I would have one but if I don’t need a mastectomy then I’d prefer not to. At this point in time the consultant doesn’t think it’s necessary but he can’t rule it out in the long term... so that’s one decision made - for now. No mastectomy at this present time. Lumpectomy versus lumpectomy with oncoplasty - I think I’m leaning towards the oncoplasty option especially after ruthie2’s reply with such a positive slant on it... I was already thinking I’d probably go down that route but wasn’t quite sure... I think I’ve come to accept that the fact is they can’t be all knowing so there are going to be unknown’s when it comes to decision making... but I’m trying to apply some logic... looking at the facts that I know so far, asking myself what I’d be happy with & then deciding whether I will be comfortable with the decision I make... eg not mastectomy because it hasn’t been deemed necessary, not lumpectomy because I feel that I’d find it difficult to be left misshapen in different areas on both sides... which leaves oncoplasty which should leave me with a relatively good overall result... if at a later date post surgery it is deemed necessary to have a mastectomy then I will have to get my head round that - bottom line is I’m not ready to risk my life so if I have to have a mastectomy to prolong my life then so be it... if I can avoid it for now then all well & good... & that takes me back to - it is what it is... I can’t change it... so, one day at a time... there is a bigger picture... we may not be able to see the whole picture right now but it’s all in hand... look forward to seeing what happens next for you Penny Whistle & how our journeys compare... will be thinking of you :-) I hope my ramblings help you even if it’s only in a small way... we all need all the help & encouragement we can get at such times... you are not alone... praying that as things progress they will become clearer & you will feel confident to make the decisions you need to :-) 

Penny Whistle
Posted by

Hi again Nanny Doole, Its all very confusing and we do seem to be having the same emotional experiences as I guess everyone else is too!  My decision keeps changing by the day and every time I have another test. Today its been changing by the hour. 

I hope you don't have to make additional decisions when you have the liver biopsy and it all turns out OK.  I am having trouble coping with the breast so I would be in a right state if they found anything else.

Good luck with all your tests and decisions. I will let you know mine after all the tests and the next appointment with the consultant.

Take care xxx

Penny Whistle