Breast cancer

Affected by breast cancer? Join this group to share experiences and ask questions to people who understand what you're going through.

*** NOVEMBER CHEMOTHERAPY CHAT 2019 ***

Lacomtekp
Posted by

After all that hard work Guiliella you deserve a sleep not a nap! Hopefully you will feel progressively better this week. I was very sick with chemo too and I don't know how you managed today......I was lucky that my son was able to take three months off and come to help OH and me.

I think it's this Tuesday your husband has his appointment.  I will be thinking of you both.

Love Karen

Northerner
Posted by

Hi

Well done you ! A very busy day hope you have now had a rest . Hopefully you will now have a good week moving towards your next cycle . Take note of what day you started to feel stronger then you will be able to forward plan .

on my good week I tend to shop and cook meals for freezer .ready for when I can't cook . Lots of soup cos it so easy to cook and freeze also keeps liquids up .

Do be careful though not to overdo it ,very easy to do when you suddenly feel comparatively well . Still rest in between bursts of energy .

If I remember it's Herceptin you will be going on same as me . My Onco and the info leaflet explained about possible heart damage . Which is the reason we have had heart scans ,my next one is due  in Dec which is just before Herceptin due to start . So they have base plus one after chemo . Then they will do more to check against base . 

Everthing I have read states that if any damage is found it is repairable over a period of time .So dont get too concerned .

Hope hubby doing well at least the waiting will be over soon for his appointment .

take care 

margaret x

love and hugs 
xoxox
Margaret
Holbox123
Posted by

, it’s very scary when you go through the potential side effects and chance of infection. But everyone is different and some of it is just being careful. I’m 5/6 through my chemo and I’ve continued to work 3 days a week instead of 5 and I drive to work now instead of getting the train. Any visitors have to stay away if they have signs of a cold. The consultants have to tell you the possibilities but you don’t get all of the side effects and it all varies person to person so it’s a matter of seeing how you go. I bought a box of surgical masks - The box remains unopened x good luck xxx

It’s going to be a long journey, but I won’t let this beat me, I’m still me xxx
F in fabulous
Posted by

Have you had silicone dressings? I've found them much more skin friendly and easy to remove.  But some nurses are a bit reluctant to use them cos apparently they are more expensive...but if you explain about your skin it shouldn't be a problem.

Paguera
Posted by

Hi all

anyone got any advice regarding filgrastim injection? Had first one on Wednesday along with first herseptin and docsataxil and I’m suffering with really really sore joints...muscles etc. Taking ibuprofen but it’s not really cutting it, wondering how long pain might last for.......

xxxxx

Jojodot
Posted by

Hi .

See you have had your first round of Dosetaxel Pereta and Herceptin on Wednesday exactly the same as me so we must be at the same stage. I had three rounds of EC before and now moved on to new regime. I have to say I was rather worried about the change cos I managed fairly well in EC. For first few days it felt like a hangover and then gradually I came out of the nausea phase gradually for about 10 days and then final 10 day’s I was more or less ok but tired easily. Third round was definitely harder and I felt tired most of the cycle. Then was at hospital for most of the day on Wednesday receiving new drugs one at a time. Then I had two really good days so much so I felt I had gained. Then took first Filisgrim injection on Friday and woke up with slight pains in lower back and lower legs on Saturday. However it wasn’t too bad and managed to go out for coffee etc. But today pain has increased and I have a bit of an upset stomach. I have more pain in my shin and ankle joints strangely. I was advised to take paracetamol and ibuprofen so it’s helped and not too severe. Think I read somewhere you should also take an antihistamine alongside injections but not sure if anyone can help us with that . So hoping it settles but think pain continues until injections are completed and then hopefully is better. Let’s keep in touch and compare notes. Also read soaking in Epsom salts helps. Take care.

Jojodot X

moomy
Posted by

The antihistamine to take with Filgrastim injections is Claritin (generic name Loratidine), begin the day before you start injections.

I've found it helps with the bone pain caused by Alendronic Acid as well as with Letrozole.

hugs xxx

Moomy

Jojodot
Posted by

Thanks ,

I remember reading about this a while ago but it wasn’t sure.  I will send OH to get some Thanks for caring. 
Jojodot X

Blackcat20
Posted by

Hi

Sorry to hear that you are suffering with joint and muscle pain.  I’ve had five chemo cycles (with one more to go), of which the last three have been docetaxel, herceptin and perjeta.  On each of the past three cycles I have been given filgrastim injections for seven days from the day following treatment, and - like you - I have found that they seem to cause me bone and joint pain.  I talked about this with my oncologist, who said that both docetaxel and the filgrastim injections can cause bone, joint and muscle pain, so it can be difficult to identify exactly what the cause is,  She said that pain from the injections often tends to be in the hips and thighs, as these areas have the longer bones in which the injections cause many new bone marrow cells to form.  She recommended that I do the injections in the evening, and also to take some paracetamol shortly afterwards to pre-empt the pain starting, and this has helped me a lot.  In the second and third cycles I have not had the severe pain I experienced in the first cycle, when I woke up at 2am with severe throbbing in the hips (it felt as if they had been stapled to the bed!).  My chemo unit has offered stronger (prescription-only) painkillers if I need them, but suggested that I try alternating between paracetamol and ibuprofen first to see if this works.  I have done this on a couple of days this cycle (Day 5 and 6) when I was doing the injections and could feel some pain kicking in, and it worked for me.  I also found that a warm bath or shower can be helpful, as with any muscular pain.  

After the injections finish, I don’t have any further pain in the hips/thighs for the rest of the cycle, so I guess it’s the filgrastim that is responsible.  I do sometimes feel a bit achey in the shoulders/back in the second week of the cycle, which is probably due to the docetaxel, but this is not really a problem and doesn’t require any painkillers. 

I hope that you find a solution to the pain, and that you feel better very soon!

Blackcat xx

Paguera
Posted by

Thanks Blackcat. Much appreciated. I get one “big” injection to take home with me to have the day after chemo....not sure if thats better or worse lol!  My husband gave me it as I couldn’t administer if myself. Think he enjoyed doing that more that he should!!!

I've also been takin ibuprofen and paracetamol too, feeling a little less sore just now so fingers crossed. I put in an awful night last night and hope not to repeat that again tonight.

So plsed  that you only have one more cycle to go, keep on keeping on.

xxxx

Paguera
Posted by

Hi Jojodot  

Thanks for your reply, yes I’ve had my 3 EC too, I had surgery in July to remove tumours and some lymph nodes. So after chemotherapy I’ve radiotherapy for 4 weeks too (I have to stay at hospital for this Monday to Friday as nearest treatment centre is 2 hours away from me) something else to raise my anxiety levels.....I’m going to give breast cancer nurse a shout about the antihistamines and will let you know what she says.  

Have a good evening, wood burning stove on here waiting for Strictly to start .

xxxxx

Jojodot
Posted by

Hi .

I have taken an anti histamine before I give injection this evening so will see!! It’s certainly a strange kind of feeling !! Not done much today. Seems a lot of drug for you to be injected in a oner. I have 7 doses to take each night for a week. That’s a pity you have to stay away from home - always better at home. I am having chemo first and have a surgeons appointments on Wednesday to discuss what surgery is required probably in January. Then that will be followed by radiotherapy. 
Which part of the country are you in as you sound remote? . I am in Central Scotland. 
Enjoy Strictly and the fire.

Jojodot X

Giuliella
Posted by

Hello again.  Rest, what's that?  On Sunday, I was concerned for hubby, his right arm swelled up to one and a half times the size of his left arm, which was of concern and his speech got more slurred, so I phoned 111 to ask for advice and they sent two paramedics.  They called for an ambulance crew of three, so I had a flat full Sunday morning.  They said he needed to go into hospital and off we went again to A&E for the day.  At gone lunchtime, I was hungry and was told we still had time to wait (we had already seen a doctor and hubby was to go for another scan after at first, they ruled that out due to doing a scan three weeks ago) so I walked fast for twenty minutes to get to a choppy I knew was there, but they were shut!  Lidl was opposite, so I managed to get the last two bread rolls and a pack of prosciutto to eat, plus a small Xmas pud for Xmas.  Then I had to walk back, don't know how I did it, but I managed.  It was bitter, but I was dressed well, save my hands, I need my mittens now as well.  Got back, hubby was gone for his scan.  He returned shortly and I ate my rolls in there.  Later, they agreed a plan to reduce the swelling with blood thinners, the scan showed a blood clot had formed in his shoulder/chest area plus steroids and they would keep him in.  The slurred speech was due to the mass in his chest pressing on a nerve affecting the larynx and also pressing on his blood returning to the heart, hence a blue rash on his chest.  Blood was trying to get back to his heart via route B now.  I sat on a chair with him until 6.00pm, knowing he was waiting for a bed, but I needed to get a bus home in the dark, with a walk from the bus stop so I then left.  Waited twenty minutes for a bus, got back, fireworks almost hit me when I got off the bus, people right on the road letting off rockets which fell almost on my head!  Got home safely, thank goodness.  I cooked the two chicken portions and put his aside for another day, at least it's cooked, so it won't go off just yet now.  I had it with gravy and fresh runner beans, and a tiny bit of baked sweet potato.

Now thirsty in the night.  In the morning I plan to shower, which I was going to do Sunday morning, have breakfast, then go back in to see hubby by bus, take in some stuff for him and some Volvic which he likes and sit with him all day, when I find where he has gone.  Just another day in paradise eh?  Thanks for the advice re. Heart problems being reversible, thank goodness for that, as I didn't fancy going into this with everything great only to come out the other side with damaged organs.  Cheers Margaret and I hope all is well with you, though I've only a small freezer which is chocca, so will just do what I can.  At least the worry that I won't be able to look after hubby when I've had my next cycle of poison has been removed, we think.  He's in the best place and they have started treatment to ease his suffering, even if the biopsy is delayed now, they said this is more important and I don't have the worry of how to get him out of the flat and fifty yards to the car for his appointment Monday now.  Yay!  Here's wishing everyone a good week ahead.

Regards, Giuliella.
Giuliella
Posted by

Thanks for the tip, but I can't seem to find it on our Virgin TV onscreen menu, for either WEdnesday or Thursday, but I did get it on demand.  Very strange and it's not in the TV guide for this coming week either!  What is going on?  At least if I can catch up on demand, that's something.  We can't get BBC I player either, very odd!

Regards, Giuliella.
Lacomtekp
Posted by

Guiliella.......good morning.

Hope the buses run on time and weather isn't too bad.......I have always needed gloves but I must agree my hands do get colder earlier now. I keep a pair of those stretchy, very cheap ( a  £ 1 a pair from discount shops) in every coat and jacket pocket. That way I always have them with me.

I hope being in hospital overnight has helped relieve your husband's difficulties and you find him a bit improved.Take care of yourself though.......make sure you tell his nurses you are in the middle of a chemo cycle......I am thinking of you both.

Love Karen