Breast cancer

Affected by breast cancer? Join this group to share experiences and ask questions to people who understand what you're going through.

** SEPTEMBER CHEMOTHERAPY CHAT 2019**

Northerner
Posted by

Hi

Sorry you're getting acquainted with the new SEs The speeded up effect is why Docetaxel was removed from plan the minute Onco found out about IBD . As it Is I find EC version of constipation makes me feel quite normal . 

Its good to hear you actually might "feel" better without  fuzzy head etc . Hope it all stays positive for you . Sun out here now so Of into garden .

I now on day 13 second EC so turning corner ready for good week . Planning visit to Cumbria .

wishing best week for all with minimal SEs

margaret x

love and hugs 
xoxox
Margaret
Beastiebreast
Posted by

Hi Black cat,

I  had my first FEC last Tuesday and still have tiredness, fuzzy head, weakness. I am usually on the go all the time but now I do not have the energy. Keep thinking I have 7 more chemo and don't know how I will get through it. Credit to those who have managed to get through this process.

BB

Country Girl Liz
Posted by

West end Girl

Hope the Brave the shave goes okay...good to know your wig was not noticed, I swear everyone is looking at mine everywhere I go, might be me being super sensitive !!

Lizi x
Northerner
Posted by

Hi

I'm on day 13 of second cycle of EC (plan is for 6) . Still being tired and fuzzy on day 7 seems about right ...but we are all different in how our body responds to chemo . 

I find it useful to keep a diary of any SEs to see if there is a pattern .  

On this second one starting to feel better has been about same time Day 13 . I don't mean I'm going out for run but definitely more of a normal feeling .so last week in cycle is when I plan nice treats out and about . Before Zi get back on roundabout 

Yes I am more tired but plan around it now and deliberately slow down . 

The main I Think is listen to your body and do as it is asking if you need to nap then do so . Also remember the reason you feel crap is the chemo doing its job!

Hope you feel a bit brighter soon 

love and hugs 
xoxox
Margaret
Beastiebreast
Posted by

Thank you Margaret,

I have a diary and have been noting side effects and although the chemo is doing its job I'm also afraid of what the next lot bring. Is this normal.

BB

Giuliella
Posted by

Good Monday, Blackcat.  It's a dull day here in the Southwest today and threatening a lot of rain before the day is ended, I feel sure.  Still waiting for my appointments to arrive, maybe no news is good, for now.  Been to see all my Tai Chi classmates today, managed to walk down there and had a cuppa in a local cafe afterwards, then got a lift home, thank goodness.  Otherwise, it would have been a bit much for me to try walking all the way home from there!  Still wearing the compression body and still got pain in the tummy scar from hip to hip, though not so bad as it has been, so progress there, hooray.  Oh, I see the rain outside now, glad I'm back home in the dry.

heres wishing everyone a good day with few side effects for this week.  Take good care of yourselves, everyone. 

Regards, Giuliella.
Northerner
Posted by

Hi

perfectly normal ! On my first cycle I said the biggest side effect was paranoia,no offence to anyone . It's just you don't know what if any SEs you will get. So every little twitch makes you stop and think is this a SE . I'm sure you will relax  and realise chemo is doable .

we have a caravan in Cumbria where we normally spend 70 % of our time . I was too nervous of being away from my hospital I wouldnt go . 

Up til now I've been what I consider lucky a little bit of everything but all managable . Yes I feel different and I accept this is my new normal. 

My body knows it's got a load of in it . I'm tired most of the time but fatigue is usually just first few days .

I'm a lot more confident this cycle at what my limits are and off to the van on wed til Sun .

If you do gave any problems talk to your team I rang my unit last week with a query about oral thrush .within half an hour I'd been checked out and given medication .....all cured now .

If I was you I try to stop worrying about worrying which is easy to say I know .when you do have some energy treat yourself you deserve it your body is working hard 

margaret x

love and hugs 
xoxox
Margaret
Londonmumof2
Posted by

Well,  currently in A&W after getting Fee's jelly legs,  chest tightness,  temperature bouncing,  feeling really hot and cold, and also sick. My sense of smell has gone to a prarle dog level as well.  Let's hope it's a 'good' visit rather than the other sort in A&E .....

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. It matters that you don't just give up.' Stephen Hawking,
Blackcat20
Posted by

Hi

So sorry to hear that you have had to make a trip to A&E - I hope that by now you are back home and that they have given you something to help with the problems.   Take care, and let us know how you are when you can.

Blackcat xx

Country Girl Liz
Posted by

Wishing you well Beastiebreast, hang in there xx

Lizi x
Londonmumof2
Posted by

Well, I was found a cubicle really quickly, and had an ECG, blood pressure (on the wrist with an arm cuff)  taken. I then waited 2 hours to see a doctor but only had blood pressure etc redone. After 3 hours and 2.20am I developed a headache, I think partly due to exhaustion, partly due to lying facing extremely bright ceiling lights, and partly due to the chemo so I asked for a painkiller. The agency nurse returned with 10mg morphine in a syringe (!) and when I said that it was too strong a painkiller and I didn't want it became cross with me and told me it was standard for 'my kind of patient, those with cancer'. I told her that as far as my surgeon was concerned the cancer was removed in April, and that the chemo was debated as well by my Oncologist, so I hope that I don't have cancer at the moment and she became quite pushy, then annoyed that I didn't want is so threw it away and walked out as I was trying to repeat what I'd said at the nurses station. She then came back with a male liaison nurse and IV paracetamol and IV antibiotics, which they said were in case of sepsis. I'd been at the hospital over 3 hours by then, and pointed out that I didn't have a low temperature, but let her give the antibiotics and repeated that my headache wasn't bad (though getting that way!  ) She then tried to give the antibiotics through the PICC line but struggled (a bit of a worry when you're feeling unwell!) and after about half it became painful so I asked her to stop and she threw that away as well. No one had taken bloods either in this time.

After about 4 hours a junior doctor arrived and had be go over everything that had happened as well as my history, mentioning me refusing the morphine and half the antibiotics. She then requested blood tests, which the original nurse did through a cannula as my 'PICC line wasn't working'. Eventually they thought that although some of my bloods were a little off, they were all within the normal range, just low. They did think that I had a mild infection so now have antibiotic tablets to take. I made it home at 5.25am and slept until 9.30am.

Now to have my PICC line checked later.....

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. It matters that you don't just give up.' Stephen Hawking,
feemcg
Posted by

Oh no, sorry you had to go in Londonmumof2..the care sounds awful. Why not ask you first what you would normally take for a headache before going to the bother of signing out a controlled drug and having to discard it....and what an attitude! I was 'mostly' happy with my 3 A&E admisssions during FEC...a few times things were done at my suggestion, and I ended up explaining to the junior doctor (1st week) the significance of my blood results and what 'normal' was.

Hope you're feeling better this evening and 'Fee's jelly legs' are improving.....I still get it to varying degrees every day...but there doesn't seem to be a pattern to it.....this morning I woke up without jelly legs but had them by lunch time!

Home from 5th weekly Paclitaxel...mac and cheese and tiger bread (stodge!) and ready to hit the couch.

Keep well everyone x

Dreierlei
Posted by

What an experience, Londonmum.

Hope you recovered well from it today.

Londonmumof2
Posted by

I can't believe that you're on your fifth one already!  Only seven more weeks to go and the chemo is all done for you! What a relief. This is my fourth (delayed by 6 days) EC, and as my consultant puts it, the main one for my type of cancer (ER 8/8 and PR8/8). I've decided to try the paclitaxel on a weekly schedule even though it's meant to be 12 weeks instead of the eight weeks from 4 x fortnightly. She said that most finish 3/4 of the fortnightly regime, and some get to the end of the course, and some stop earlier.  As it adds on average an extra 1.4% over 10 years for me  I can live with taking it a few times until I feel the tingling start. I'd rather keep my eyebrows and eyelashes too (have you now lost all of yours?) but they'll hopefully return in a few weeks, and I've still my fringe to hide the badly drawn on eyebrows I'll have!

Londonmumof2
Posted by

Thanks  yes, amazingly well on 4 hours sleep, but I had 2 steroid tablets when I woke up and another 2 at 3pm.

It reminds me of the time we had a family Spanish road trip and I was bitten in the grounds of a monastery we stayed in one night. I bought from really good antihistamine tablets with something like ephedra in them (also used for allergies)  from a pharmacy in Barcelona before taking the night ferry to Alcudia in Majorca. When we arrived in Puerto Pollenca everyone was tired but me, it was about 7.30 am, so I bought two take away coffees from a local bar which were really good but quite strong. My husband was too tired to have his, so I had his too, and the combination of caffeine and antihistamine meant I drove everyone else mad all day as they were all tired!

You're on your fourth session two aren't you? How are you managing. It seems no time at all since we were dreading it it starting, and we're well on the way!