Breast cancer

Affected by breast cancer? Join this group to share experiences and ask questions to people who understand what you're going through.

**JULY BREAST CANCER CHEMOTHERAPY CHAT**

Lisa_F
Posted by

Hi

In a way I am glad to see that I am not alone in not asking about grading, staging or prognosis.

I feel that it is enough t have been told that having the mastectomy first was a good move due to the size of tumour they found and the number of nodes affected - after that it is all academic and it is being treated.

Lisa
Londonmumof2
Posted by
feemcg
Posted by

2nd chemo done, drove home, tempura chicken and homemade potato salad for lunch, jammies on and knitting out

daisyjake
Posted by

Lisa (and Fee). Totally agree, I work in ‘the system’ so effectively could know much more about grading, staging, prognosis etc.  I am not interested, do I trust my team, yes, they tell me to give them a year of my life & I will pop out at other side, I’ll take that.  

Lisa, hope all ok with you, my mum shaved my last bits off yesterday, last night, window open, breeze coming in, revelation! 

Deb x 

daisyjake
Posted by

Well done you! Lunch sounds delish x 

feemcg
Posted by

Like last time I suddenly got tired and slept for an hour on the couch, woke up feeling a bit wobbly so now lying on my bed with binoculars.. a lot of dolphin activity in The Forth today

Dreierlei
Posted by

Thank you Lisa for replying to my question.

Infection is something we all don't want to get. Sorry you did.

I had the nurse visiting today for the Neulasta injection, and I did it myself after she showed me how to.

Know now what neutrophils are. 

So far so good with me. Only a bit of read cheeks the last evenings. None (yet) today.

I told my consultants and teams from the start that I don't want to hear any prognosis.

Wish you all well.

feemcg
Posted by

End of day 3 (post 2nd chemo)....bit tired despite a good sleep, couple of hours 'coming to' taking meds and breakfast but generally not too bad a day...not as blurry eyed or wobbly as round 1.

Hope everyone is doing ok x

Elsie77
Posted by

Hi

Glad to hear you're doing OK fee and have had a good day. 

I have a good day too (despite having to visit the dentist). Day 8 of my first FEC cycle and the first day I've really felt back to 'normal'. Wisdom teeth playing up so had to visit the dentist. Not infected so no abx. Just a little clean under the gum which I hope has sorted it. Had a walk around the local shops with my sister. All in all a good day compared to this time last week. My main SE was nausea, not nice.  That and feeling tired but I can handle that! 

Wishing everyone a lovely evening whatever you may be doing x

Londonmumof2
Posted by

Just had my first chemo session today- EC.

I was there from 10am to 5.10pm, partly because it was first one they had extra preparations to do,  partly because a staff member was off sick it slowed things down,  and partly because I realised part way through the 30 minute pre-meds part that I needed a pee and we had to restart the clock!

The staff were all lovely, the Macmillan volunteer came round with sandwiches,  fruit,  cheese and biscuits and tea and my hospital psychologist came and chatted for a while too. My youngest daughter was also there at the start, middle and end which was nice.

I felt unsteady on my feet after the first medication,  and thr second gave me chest pain after 10 minutes, but she slowed thr drop down and I was fine. I felt a bit 'off' after getting home but still ordered Turkish food delivered and ate loads I'm falling sleep now on the sofa so will go to bed soon.  Sort of dreading  a sleepless night followed by feeling ropey in ther morning when the 3 different anti- nausea tablets and the steroids have worn off,  and newly taken ones not kicked in yet,  oh well..

Have a lovely evening everyone!

X

Elsie77
Posted by

Hi

You unit sounds like it's got all bases covered and you were well cared for during your stay. 

Glad to hear you managed a lovely evening meal afterwards too. Hope the nausea didn't kick in too much and you kept on top of it with your meds. This was a major SE for me; it really does wipe you out.

I was advised to not take my steroids any later than 4pm to avoid them keeping me awake. Have to say it worked, only had one bad night but I think other factors were at play too ie muggy weather and sore mouth.

Hope you're not too bad this morning xx

Londonmumof2
Posted by

Thanks Elsie77,

Sore scratchy eyes this morning and a bit achey, fizzy and headachey, but just an hour after taking meds. I'll try breakfast now and see how i feel. 

How are you feeling as your're about aweek ahead of me on your first one aren't you? X

Elsie77
Posted by

Yes I am. Had my first FEC last Monday. As of yesterday feel okay, managing to get back to usual duties. Light housework etc. I am so glad as last week I was thinking OMG I have weeks of feeling like this!

Definitely give the unit a call re your scratchy eyes they have meds to counter every side effect and they warned me about dry eyes but mine have been ok. It's my mouth  that's suffered with oral thrush and sore gum around my wisdom tooth.

Let us know what they say x

feemcg
Posted by

Blurry, dry eyes was my first side effect after 1st chemo, popped along to gp and got a script for Carbomer gel...soothed my eyes straight away, felt fab...still using but not so bad this round. Day 4 and I'm sitting eating a roll and sausage already....1st day without Dex and strong anti sickness but still took a Metoclopramide just in case x

TheScriptFan
Posted by

i had problems with my mouth, teeth and gums during chemotherapy. I bought myself a soft tooth brush and got mouthwash from the pharmacist when i went for chemo.

Also found oragel was good if i got any sores as it not only soothes but nubs any painful areas. 

It's gonna make us who we are, it's written in the scars  "The Script"