Breast cancer

Affected by breast cancer? Join this group to share experiences and ask questions to people who understand what you're going through.

**JUNE BREAST CANCER CHEMOTHERAPY CHAT**

Kacang
Posted by

Hi Karen How are you? Haven't heard from you for ages. I hope life is treating you well. 

Lynn xx 

Haysie
Posted by

Hi everyone

I was due to start cycle 4 of carbopaclitaxel yesterday but my neuts were low so they've deferred me for a week. I was also running a temperature so have been given a week of antibiotics. 

I don't know why but it's knocked me sideways. Don't know if it's because I'm fighting some kind of infection or what but I've been crying loads for the first time since diagnosis. I just feel really crap!

I'm worried what is going on in my body as I have no obvious infection (cold or anything). Has anyone else had this?

I know it's only delayed things by a week but a week at the moment feels like a year!

Hope you are all faring better xx

Kacang
Posted by

Take a deep breath It all sounds pretty normal. The temp is a sign of infection and docs are ultra cautious during chemo because you have close to zero resistance to any bugs and the risk of sepsis is high. Look after yourself, take things easy and make sure to take your temperature frequently. If it goes up, go straight to A&E. My doctor said go to A&E if your temp hits 38 but you may have been given different instructions. 

As for crying and feeling crap - it's an emotional roller coaster so it's not surprising you feel sorry for yourself at times. I know I did. 

Big hugs babe.

Lynn xx 

Lisa_F
Posted by

Well that’s the first dose of chemo in - a lot easier than I expected but I have a port so guess that helps. 

Sat at home looking at all the tablets I need to take in the next couple of days - had to write out a little timetable

So now I’m just bricking it over what side effects I’ll get

Booked myself on to a Headspace and Look Good Feel Better session, figured I deserve something to look forward to 

Lisa
Mgducks
Posted by

Hi Lisa,

Well done on completing your first session, I'm currently on my first one as we speak, having cold cap which isn't bad at all, I'm having my port fitted tomorrow.

They've told me about the tablets and injections so think I'll write a timetable like you.

I'm also bricking it with side effects, feel like I'm going to be waiting for any little thing to happen, please let me know how you get on.

Let's hope we sail through it all. 

:-)x

daisyjake
Posted by

Hi Lisa

Well done! I am one week in & in terms of SE’s I escaped last week it really is the overwhelming tiredness this second week, I went to fetch my horses in & could not make it up the field.

I have pain but assured that this is good & my lovely oncology lady upped my pain relief today so am currently sat on bed a little ‘zen’

Deborah x 

daisyjake
Posted by

Been thinking about you today, so glad it went ok xx 

MooCoo
Posted by

Just a thought: The thing that helped me most with every side effect, be it nausea, hairloss, sore mouth or indigestion was "this shows the chemo is working and killing all the fast growing cells." It sounds silly and might not work for everyone but I felt so much better when I got a side effect and said to the tumours (out loud and in a Danny Dyer accent) "'Ave it!"

Mgducks
Posted by

Love this "Ave it" ha yes it can have it all and be gone.

This has put a smile on my face, 1st treatment nearly done 

:-) x

Beachwalker19
Posted by

Hi

I had to go to hospital once during my chemo as bloods were dodgy, I was put on I.V antibiotics, had a temp etc but it was about a week after chemo so I had 2 weeks to recover so I didn’t have to refer treatment. 

I didn't have a cold and Dr (Gp) said he thought I was fighting some sort of infection but we probably wouldn’t find out what it was.

I know it’s very worrying what chemo and all the meds are doing to us, crying is a good way of releasing emotion though, I know it doesn’t feel like it at the moment. And you have been through a fair bit haven’t you. 

Im always here if you need to chat x 

Haysie
Posted by

Thanks

I hadn't cried at all before yesterday so it's probably a good thing but not like me. Still a bit tearful today but feel a bit better. 

I guess I feel a missed treatment is a week lost as now it takes my treatment all the way through the kids school holidays. That brings guilt and sadness. I know it can't be helped but I do feel so sorry for the kids missing out on stuff. Now I'm crying again!!

Anyway, going to get myself in the shower and sit in the garden and listen to the birds. The simple things help at the moment!

Xx

feemcg
Posted by

I'm already thinking about delays and haven't even started yet! So I'm just back from Englandshire and now a Nana to tiny, beautiful Erin...4lbs13oz...broke my heart to leave today...not knowing when I'll feel well enough to visit again. Tomorrow I'll dust, hoover, shop..while waiting on my phone call to tell me what time to go in on Friday x (need to find out how to put pics on here)

feemcg
Posted by

...and meant to ask...nobody has mentioned a port or picc line to me...do they just offer it if your veins are rubbish?... I think mine are ok

Kacang
Posted by

Hi I was offered a port automatically but I live in Australia and they're very common here.  As I understand it (from people on this site) most trusts in the UK only offer one or the other if your veins are crap or there's some other particular reason. I know some people have fought hard to get one when they were having vein trouble. 

If your veins are coping ok then nothing to worry about but if you start having trouble then I suggest you speak to your team. We all need to be assertive patients!!!

Lynn xx 

daisyjake
Posted by

Hi feemcg, I wasn’t offered a port or pic either but my veins are ok.  I did drink lots of water to plump up prior to first chemo and there is barely a mark from cannula a week later.