Breast cancer

Affected by breast cancer? Join this group to share experiences and ask questions to people who understand what you're going through.

Stage one breast cancer.

Susie39
Posted by

Hi everyone. I was diagnosed with stage one breast cancer yesterday.

Surgeon and Macmillan nurse were so caring. I have a lumpectomy on 12th June, followed, six weeks later, by fifteen sessions of radiotherapy. Five years of tamoxifen and yearly mammogram. Whilst I am so grateful it’s been diagnosed at an early stage, I am feeling very scared and can’t sleep. Any tips for coping? 

LondonLass
Posted by

Welcome to the group. Sorry you find yourself here, but you have certainly come to the right place for advice and more importantly support! 

I don’t think it matters how early your Cancer was caught, or how big/small the tumour is. It’s still Cancer and it’s popped up in your life uninvited and very unwelcome! Feeling scared is totally understandable, this disease has taken away your peace of mind! It’s made you question life and it’s made you think about your mortality, we have all been there Hun and let’s face it it’s a pretty shitty place to be! 

So let’s try and reassure you and give you a helping hand out of that quick sand that you are probably currently stood in! Breast Cancer is VERY treatable especially when it is caught early! The surgery is very straight forward and usually done as a day case! Once you have had your surgery your mind will be a little clearer because the Cancer will be gone, the radiotherapy is used to ‘mop up’ any minute cells that might of been there! It’s the ‘belt and braces’ of treatment! 

If you are finding yourself really worried and unable to sleep or think straight during the day. It might be worth seeing your GP for something to calm you down. But sometimes coming on here and talking about your fears is enough to help clear your head!

If there is anything you want to ask then ask away. Day or night there is usually someone around who will be able to answer your questions and don’t think that any question is a ‘silly question’ I promise you we have all asked what seems like silly question at times! 

Well I think I have probably gabbled on enough! So I shall leave you in peace! But please remember we are all here to help you in any way we can! So don’t feel you have to do this alone because you don’t! We will be here every step of the way! Sal xx

Israel
Posted by

Morning susie39,

welcome to this site that no one wanted to be part of - although it was one of the best things I did following diagnosis, approx’ a year ago. I also had stage one but initially who cares what stage right! It’s cancer. what you’re feeling is totally normal . I hate the way our minds conjure up the worse scenarios! Treatment for this evil critter is developing daily and is totally do- able. My treatment went without any hitches. Work wouldn’t have known because I had radiotherapy before shift and tamoxifen no huge problem. So you can do this, take it one day at a time, look after yourself, ask for support as needed .ive just had my first check up and all clear. I’m sure many will respond this is such an amazingly supportive group. All our journeys are different, so Ask anything, as one of us has probably experienced it too!

warm hug and to you  X

232pookie
Posted by

Good morning Susie.  Like you, I was diagnosed with stage 1, nearly 2 years ago.  It came as a shock because i never felt  the lump neither my GP but went for my 3 year mammogram, and bingo!  I had 15 sessions of radiotherapy and put on Letrozole because i had gone through the menopause.  Once you get over the shock, everything will take it's course and you will gradually start to feel better .I'm not saying it's  plain sailing because everyone is different, but you will soon  come to terms with it.  I came to the decision that it wasnt going to hinder my everyday life.  Be strong .

All the best X

MO xx
Rosieamber
Posted by

Hi yes I was dignosed with stage 2 breast cancer I didn't feel any lump only I went for a mammogram. Went and had my pre assment yesterday and got my op talk this Friday then surgery on the 31st of this month took me a whaile to get over the shook of hearing I had breast cancer but there are plenty if people to talk to just rember your not on your own take care 

GJ124
Posted by

Can I ask did they tell you it was in your lymph nodes in your armpit as well?

Susie39
Posted by

Hi, no doctor didn’t think it had gone to lymph nodes, but he will check during operation.

Susie39
Posted by

Thank you. You have made me feel better.

love Susie xx

Susie39
Posted by

Thank you. You have made me feel much better.

love Susie xx

Susie39
Posted by

Thank you. Hope all goes well. You are in my prayers.

love Susie xx

HappyFeet1
Posted by

Hi , your situation sounds very similar to mine. Like many folk here, I found the waiting the worst, things felt better once treatment began - like you I started with lumpectomy and sentinel node sampling. It's a horrible sort of limbo time, between diagnosis and the operation. I tried to focus on practical things like getting stuff sorted at work for while I'd be off (though in my case I underestimated ridiculously how long I would be off!) Mainly stay away from Dr Google, lots of alarming and often out of date stuff out there. Sorry you've had to join this club but it is a great source of support and shared experiences, do keep posting and let us know how you're getting on. 

Wishing you well, gentle hugs, HFxx

HappyFeet1 xx
Don’t be afraid to cry. It will free your mind of sorrowful thoughts. – Hopi
Rosieamber
Posted by

Thank you yes the waiting is the worse take care 

GJ124
Posted by

Hi I have just read all your posts. I get to see my consultant to decide on my treatment on June 7th. When I went for the results of my biopsies they told me cancer had been found in one of the lumps in my breast as well as in one in my lymph nodes.

Rosieamber
Posted by

Goid luck with your treatment I've been told my lymph nodes will be cracked when iam in surgery 

Susie39
Posted by

Thank you Happy Feet. That’s really sound advice especially Dr. Google!

love Susie x