Breast cancer

Affected by breast cancer? Join this group to share experiences and ask questions to people who understand what you're going through.

Waiting staging scans and feeling really ill

itgotme
Posted by

Good luck with your appointments, will be thinking of you. Xx

Londonmumof2
Posted by

Thanks everyone;)  I woke about an hour ago with my heart racing  so it looks like I'm even stressed in my sleep!

I'm doing the countdown now....6 hours and 20 minutes....

And almost like this limbo of not knowing it's 100% spread yet... I'm all sore and achey across my upper body so can't decide if it's my lungs/ bones/ liver affected. I was right about the lymph node being affected when they thought it was fine, and my back is so tender.... and although my lungs feel clear it hurts to breathe....

I don't know how I'll cope hiding the news from both daughters until the end of June.  My youngest has GCSE exams almost every day until mid- June,  and my older daughter has 3 really hard maths exams next month.  

I keep wondering if I should take one of the tranquillisers the doctor gave me and I haven't touched yet before the appointment, or hear the news and have an anxiety attack! 

Mrs50
Posted by

Hi

The waiting for results is the worst part of this whole process.  Everyone will agree. Hopefully any aches and pains will just be down to you feeling stressed and anxious. I felt the same it’s a horrible time.  

Wishing you the very best of luck with your results today. 

S

x

Haysie
Posted by

Hi

I can't really offer any other advice just wanted to say I am thinking about you.

Xx

pat2
Posted by

I am really sorry to hear that you are so stressed. It isnt easy and very difficult for you having your daughters go through their exams right now. My daughter also has her GCSEs right now so I sympathise and fully understand how you feel.

How did you find out lymph nodes were positive was it the test on the lymphs by path lab?  

I hope your results show that it hasn't spread. What test did you have done , is it the path labs diagnosis on tumour and lymphs post surgery you are waiting for? 

I am also suffering from anxiety from all this but I find trying to get out everyday for a walk helps and spending time outside when weather nice really helps alot.... roll on a good summer for us all. I have also decided to take control of diet and make veg soup for lunch everyday and eating chicken and fish instead of red meats. Also bought a Ninja and making smoothies. The consultant tells me that eating healthily plus half hr brisk walk a day in the future infact reduces risk of cancer by over a third. .  have also given up alcohol as the wine increases oestrogen.  By doing this is helps me feel more in control. There are also hormone treatments that are very successful in controlling many cancers. I have been given Tamoxifen. I also had an Oncotest and although stage 2 cancer I didnt need the chemo as the hormone treatments and radiotherapy are so good these days thats all I need. 

Take care and best of luck. Don't forget to get some of that sunshine if the weather is nice where you are :) 

Pat

x

Londonmumof2
Posted by

Thanks Pat.

Good lunch with your daughters GCSE exams,  and yes,  walking does help. Is also an easy one after surgery adds my arm isn't involved:) It just tag your profile and it sounds like you had a terrible time - no wonder you sometimes suggest from anxiety too! I read one that women with breast cancer have changed to their brains similar to those with PTSD. I can believe it!

My initial ultrasound showed no lymph nodes involved,  but one of the twor sentinel nodes was already full.  My hospital makes you have a full body and chest bone scan and chest and lower body ct scan with contact  for staging before anything else happens. This was 2 wks ago and I had my bone scan last week and ct scan yesterday.  IF the is no spread I'll have my left nodes removed and chemo.  If it had spread then only hormones,  as they keep the chemo for later down the line.

When i had the scan on my nodes before diagnosis the bad one was twice the size of the others and I said at three different visits it might be affected,  so its really upsetting that the others are still here now, possibly spreading cancer for the last month since surgery,   and might remain until I die.  

My 16 year old has mental health problems and is close to me,  so I'm trying to be normal whilst feeling terrified,  and i  feel I'm failing her..... but can't change things now. My key daughter is 19 with high functioning autism and  also close to her father,  so I think can cope better. 

I wish it was this time last year and I had hindsight to change my history! Still,  only 3 hours and 12 minutes to go......aaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh!!!! X

Londonmumof2
Posted by

Well the results were clear! A small amount of bone ageing and a tiny cluster of blood vessels on my liver which are common and of no concern:) Something whether to have radiation or surgery on my nodes,  then see if Optima sees me as low enough risk to not need chemo.  Coming back up on the roller coaster again!

Optimistic
Posted by

So pleased to hear this well done xxx

Londonmumof2
Posted by

Thank you! X

Mrs50
Posted by

Great news !

S

TheScriptFan
Posted by

Excellent news really pleased for you xx

It's gonna make us who we are, it's written in the scars   "The Script"

pat2
Posted by

Great news results were clear!

Take care.

x

Galligirl
Posted by

Fantastic news.....I remember the relief of being told it hadn’t spread....  I too had other symptoms (cough, shortness of breathe, pain) that I could then put down to pure anxiety...I continue to take anti anxiety meds...i find they help me keep a balance and enable me talk to my family without breaking down in tears all the time! 

Good luck with whatever treatment you end up with! 

GGx