We understand that people with cancer are worried about coronavirus.
Here is the
We will update it regularly.
Do you have any questions about radiotherapy treatment? Ask our volunteer radiographer...
Ask Hannah, our volunteer Physiotherapist, any questions about getting active during...
Ask our pharmacist Harpreet your questions. She'll try to respond within 2 working...
Ask our volunteer Dietitian, Alice, your questions about diet and cancer and she...
Breast cancer is far less common in the under-50s, but this can leave younger people...
A support group for anyone affected by triple negative breast cancer to come together...
Secondary breast cancer is cancer that has started in the breast and spread to other...
Only Thursday past i was told i had DCIS abnormal cells non invasive and they cant say it will or wont turn cancerous. They did two biopsies but have been told its alot more widespread than they thought. So i have to get breast removed and two lymph nodes for biopsy.
Just cant get my head around it. Looking at reconstructions i just dont know which to get done. I am not very big but, dont think i could cope with no breast.
Has anybody any advice or can explain things better. Think some i cant have as i am diabetic.
Very anxious feel at times i feel as though cant breathe , as though heart is going 10 tothe dozen and very nervy stomach..
Appreciate any help
It’s a difficult decision, and one that really should have you listing pros and cons and balancing them out. Also ask for photos, length of surgeries, length of recoveries for each, your BCN will help you here. I believe it’s possible to have a temporary implant if you still can’t decide, which will help keep the skin stretched ready for further surgery if you wish. Talk to your family too, as the level of care needed after your hospital stay does vary a bit.
my mx was a year ago, I just knew I didn’t want a flat chest, but also that I didn’t want to put my family through a very long operation, or run the risks of 2 operation sites and possible infection risk, so asked for an implant. My surgeon decided to work around the few days holiday we had already booked and suggested she did a SNB to verify the mammogram suggestion of no node involvement, and then after our holiday, the mx with a permanent implant if all was clear. It was, so she went ahead with that plan, however I know another node was removed and checked during the op.
i wish you an easy decision and a good result
Thank you for replying to my post.
You have a rough enough time with your daughter and husband you could have done without this horrible thing touching you. Im glad you have op and reconstruction over you a year now.
How are you feeling with the implant and have you any regrets not getting your own tissue reconstruction?
Im lucky mine is not invasive unless they discovery different when they check larger amount they didnt biopsy.
Was suppose to see my surgeon this Tuesday but had already booked a break away for 4 nights so have to see her on the 16th to discuss everything.
Thank you moomy x
aha, you read my profile, then?! Thanks for the thoughtful comments......
I've just had a thought, I believe you can still change your mind later on and can have a ‘stretcher’ implant inserted, ready for reconstruction later, but that would mean more surgeries, of course.
Hi Sunshine, sorry to hear you are in this predicament. It is a big decision!
i am small, I had a mx and immediate recon using tummy tissue. It was fine and I made a good recovery. I was lucky in so far as I knew I could have a couple of months to get over it without worrying about work, children or driving. These are all considerations.
Good luck with your decision, as Moomy says you can always delay if you’re not absolutely sure.
May the force be with you
Ah, just realised I didn’t answer your question about the implant, it’s pretty good, have a matching cleavage so can wear lowish cut tops, but it has a flat spot where there wasn’t enough skin ( she joined two former scars and I lost the nipple) which doesn’t notice if I’m dressed but I know it’s there, of course. I wear slightly padded bras, never ever liked underwired, and it’s taken a longish time to find attractive and comfy ones. I have a teeny chicken fillet for if I ever wear a non padded bra. Sensation has improved a bit but not that full still, and I think most ladies say the same.
I’ve no regrets, and after all, I’m not too likely to flaunt widely at age 73!
Hi moomy you can change your mind but dont fancy another op. Hubby will be taking time off as it is as i have Fibromyalgia. So can be hard enough without more constriction to my arm as its bad enough already.
Unfortunately hubby has to help me quite alot as it stands :(
Hugs to you too xx
Thank you for your reply and your experience.
I only have my hubby at home now and helps me quite alot already as i have fibromyalgia. He will be taking time off to help me. He will also take me to visit grandchildren :) . Its good to hear of different people experience and helps alot.
I was diagnonised with 5cm of high grade DCIS - after 2 biopsies. It's all bit of a shock and it really takes some time to get your head round........... Because mine was high grade and due to the size, I was advised to have a mastectomy and offered reconstruction. It's all so much to take in and so many decisions to take.
Have you been offered a lumpectomy or is your DCIS too widespread? There are a number of reconstructions available form an implant to using your own tissue. I had a mastectomy and immediate reconstruction by DIEP (tummy fat) - not everybody can have the surgery - you need the available fat in the area but then you can't be have any other issues as it's a long surgery, with some complicated microsurgery - mine was about 7 hours. If you are able, a Diep gives a great outcome as it's very natural looking - although I did need need some tweaking to the shape afterwards. Also, its quite a long recovery from the main surgery, mostly due to the abdominal surgery. Being diabetic you may of course not be offered a Diep. You may also feel that its a too bigger surgery to have. I know I was terrified about it all before hand. All I knew was that I couldn't go flat and with immediate reconstruction you wake up with a new boob.
Ask your team loads of questions before you make any decisions. It's all very normal to feel anxious and stressed, I certainly felt completely at sea when I was trying to make all these decisions. Good luck.
I was told my was 6 and high . So i too have to have my breast removed and two lymph nodes for biopsy. Have been offered reconstruction but have to decide which one. I would want it at same time too as cant imagine not having one.
My stomach has been sick ever since and at times i feel as though i cant breathe. I know is anxiety and panic, just wish it was all over.
have you met with your plastic surgeon yet ? It was mine who decided what was best for me - after checking out
the “ spares supply in my body !” He he hand full here , handful there ! Not enough here and not enough there ! Talking about body tissue not fat !
I certainly do not regret getting my DIEP. Now I have completed my nipple tattoo, all is ace !
I read about all the different reconstructions and to be honest filled me with fear and even my hubby said “ your not going through that , I don’t care about your boob , I only want you alive “
my plastic surgeon was fantastic and made everything sound so positive . So I trusted her and all is well .
Hi Ruby Rose
I was suppose to met with my surgeon tomoro but not meeting to next Tuesday as am away to santa ponsa for four nights. Hubby bought it as a Christmas present.
My problem is i may have lose skin after 4 kids but, im now only 9st 1lb.
I will get to think of my options when i go home. Although cant totally forget about it unfortnately. I'd say when hubby heard all wont want me to have it done. Although he knows how i feel about losing iit. So he will support in whatever i decide.
It does fill me with fear too. Just wish it was all over me.
Take good care of yourself
I ended up seeing two surgeons yesterday. My surgeon explained the op and different reconstructions. Different implants and the different flaps. The one i wanted to go for the Back LD flap but, said she didnt do it but another surgeon did so i wait to see her. She was concerned about me being a diabetic as can be risky but, she checked fat on my back and breast skin is very thin. So she hadn't alot of skin to work with and that breast could end up very droopy . She hadn't dismissed that she would do it but, on thinking about it feel its not right for me. So im going with silicone implant.
If it doesnt give a good result i can look at other results at a later date. Hopefully going to get it done on 9th May. Fingers crossed .
Safe payments by:
We're here to provide physical, financial and emotional support. So whatever cancer throws your way, we're right there with you.
© Macmillan Cancer Support
© Macmillan Cancer Support, registered charity in England and Wales (261017), Scotland (SC039907) and the Isle of Man
(604). Also operating in Northern Ireland. A company limited by guarantee, registered in England and Wales company
number 2400969. Isle of Man company number 4694F. Registered office: 89 Albert Embankment, London SE1 7UQ. VAT no: