Breast cancer

Affected by breast cancer? Join this group to share experiences and ask questions to people who understand what you're going through.

*** February 2019 Breast Cancer Chemo Chat ***

Leolady56
Posted by

For some another gentle welcome to here and for others an equally gentle, caring welcome as you start chemo. The friendship and advice on this thread is second to none.

The chemo thread is a great place to help support and advise each other during your sessions.

You can use the 'Save In My Favourites' button just to the right to put this discussion on your profile page for easier access.

Lots of helpful tips for getting through chemo from those who've been there can be found clicking here: Chemo Tips

If you found something helped you during chemotherapy, do reply to the blog and add it to the list.

Link to the January Thread

Wishing everyone minimal side effects, positive thoughts and hugs from us all.

Leolady56

What is a Community Champion? How to add to you profile Life is like a boxing match, defeat is declared not when you fall ..... But when you refuse to stand up again ....... So, I get knocked down but I get up again. x

Bluebell22
Posted by

I'm no longer doing chem9 but still like to be on yhis thread in case I'm able to help and I like to be nosey x

Horsing Around
Posted by

I am really suffering with sore red hands. My oncologist has prescribed Vitamin B6 which is supposed to help and I am slathering my hands in Aveeno/E45 and also using the E45 wash instead of soap as much as possible. They were sore and itchy during cycle 1 and settled down with prolific use of moisturisers and I thought I was on top of the problem. I am now on cycle 2 and they are unbelievably sore right across my knuckles. Has anyone got any suggestions as to what else I can use or do?

Devon Dumpling
Posted by

Hi all, I am still on the chemo path, fingers crossed just two more rounds and then the ongoing Herceptin. Can anyone tell me if the bone aches stop once you are on the Herceptin only treatment or is this a side effect of that??? On the plus side, just booked a holiday to the Caribbean for November gives me something else to concentrate on

DD

NiceCuppa
Posted by

Can't help with your question but wow am I jealous of you booking a holiday to the Caribbean. What a brilliant thing to look forward to. Enjoy every minute of a well deserved holiday. 

I keep wanting to book a holiday for October half term but partner (quite rightly) says we can't afford it plus I think he is worried that all is not going to plan!

Bluebell22
Posted by

Hi

I hadhanfs that peeled reall6 badly and used E45 Cream.  I didn't have the red hands.

Is it like eczema? Hopefully they can give you something to calm it down x

Bluebell22
Posted by

Excuse my keyboard skills!!

MaxineP
Posted by

I had very sore hands, although suffering neuropathy, I had like lines that looked like they were following veins and they looked like burns very red, I religiously used diprobase cream 4 to 5 times a day and the sores have now cleared, took about 3 weeks to clear my hands are still peeling but not as sore, I have photos but not sure how to post on here. Hope this helps xx

Horsing Around
Posted by

Hi

It looks and feels more like really bad sunburn just across my knuckles on both hands. I am using E45 and Aveeno and keeping my hands out of water as much as possible which is helping a little bit but it is still incredibly painful. I also have a couple of red patches on my cheeks which makes me look like I have a bit of colour on my normally very pale face.....

I'll try to talk to my onco team next week to see if there's anything they can suggest.

Lacomtekp
Posted by

Please make sure you show your oncologist before your next chemo. I had a similar problem with burning, peeling hands during the early cycles but never mentioned it so when with cycle 4 and 5 it flared up in my feet, I have been left with permanent problems. I take a drug called pregabaline....it does help. Perhaps your doctor would prescribe it?

Hopefully the creams will help soothe it but they wouldn't have prevented my problem developing so don't ignore it......

Leolady56
Posted by

Sad to say Herceptin is known for bone aches. Notably the hip area. Mine was stopped (due to heart issues) after 9 of 18 and the bone pain has lessened significantly. Sorry I am the harbinger of gloom. I did find keeping as active as I could helped, getting up and moving or jiggling  if I had sat for too long, adding in cod liver oil and glucoasamine chronditon tabs all helped.(spelling rubbish)

But joy a holiday in the sun ..... that will definitely help the aches and pains

Leolady56

What is a Community Champion? How to add to you profile Life is like a boxing match, defeat is declared not when you fall ..... But when you refuse to stand up again ....... So, I get knocked down but I get up again. x

kiwi_h
Posted by

Hello all,

ive been a bit quiet on the threads lately- been down, just worn out by all of the chemo poop. Saw a psych a few weeks ago, and she’s got me on antidepressants which are starting to help. I was initially sad I was on them, but decided ultimately it doesn’t matter how I get through treatment, it only matters that I do get through it. So.  

I’m now 8/12 doses done for Taxol, will find out about radiotherapy this week on Thu. Eek. 

I’ve just started to see peeling skin on my fingertips too- is this common with Taxol? Fingers crossed no neuropathy so far

Heather xx

Bluebell22
Posted by

Hi

Yes best to mention it to your Onco team..  They gave me hydroquarterzone cream in a couple of occassions.  When I got the reaction (like a burn) where the cannula had gone in after Docetaxel and once when I had a keak when they wrre giving me FEC (luckily it was on the surface of my skin and not inside my hand).

Could be wirth trying that but only sparingly as it thins your skin.  Let us know what your Onco team think.  Might be worth giving them a ring x

WeCanDoThis
Posted by

I also had very sore hands after cycle 1 of EC. Aveeno seemed to sort it out for me. Yours seems to be on a different level though! 

Like Beachwalker19 & RoseKen1 I've now done cycle 2 of EC on reduced dosage. Have had a crappy few days with nausea but eating a bit , porridge seems to work for me. 

Regarding hair , I decided against the cold cap. It started to fall out a lot last week so got it cut short. Now seems to be coming out even faster. Thinking of just shaving it and getting it off altogether. Didn't get organized with a wig but have a couple of hat/bandanas purchased.

Don't know how you ladies with children and sick relatives can cope. I have 2 adult children and hubby at home, so far they are all good but i can see the stress on them.

Last time I had BC my son was doing 1 GCSE, just because they did Maths early if they were able. At the time I could see him very stressed but hubby and I decided not to inform school. I actually think we handled it badly although thankfully it worked out for him he got his GCSE. With hindsight I should have explained more to my son. Each child is so different.

Anyone know how to change your username. I hate mine.

Big hugs to you all. Especially GCSE student x

Big hugs to you all!  Kx

Mrs50
Posted by

Hi

I will be joining everyone until end of this month. Can’t believe I will be finished chemo by 27th of Feb, Seemed too faraway to think about when I started in November. However it does mean I have last 2 sessions to get through this month which I’m not looking forward to as I was ill for a week after last Docetaxel

Good luck to everyone going through treatment this month.

S