Breast cancer

Affected by breast cancer? Join this group to share experiences and ask questions to people who understand what you're going through.

Reconstruction

Bay city roller
Posted by

New to this arena and recently diagnosed with stage 2 breast cancer, I’m due to have a mastectomy and reconstruction using a muscle from my back and would like to hear from anyone who has already experienced it for som advice/ information, thanks Bay City Roller fan 

Bay city roller fan
Moresleep
Posted by

Hi

I'm really sorry you are here by the forum is a great place. I had mastectomy and immediate reconstruction by DIEP, tissue taken from tummy area, so I'm afraid I can't help re reconstruction using back muscle. I hope somebody sees this and responds. Good luck. XXXXXxxxx

Bay city roller
Posted by

Thanks for replying, glad to have found this forum though , xxx

Bay city roller fan
mistymoley
Posted by

Welcome to the community.  Your diagnosis and treatment is fairly common, I'm sure that someone who has had it will be along shortly.  In the meantime, you can put LD Flap or Latimuss Dorsi into the search box at the top of the page and find others who have the same operation.

I have a friend who had it and it looks amazing!

As far as the cancer is concerned, Stage 2 is early stage, so please don't get stressed about planning your funeral right now, the statistics are very good, and your team will be planning the very best treatment for you.  All treatments are designed for the individual, bearing in mind their diagnosis, and your team will be very much looking for a really good result at the end of it all, it looks bad for them when they don't do their job properly! 

We had a group of BCR fans when I was at school, platforms, tartan, the works.  I remember it well!

Helen

I am not medically qualified, please consult your doctor or undertake your own research.

elanora
Posted by

Hi, I am sorry to hear about your diagnosis but try to stay strong and positive. I had a reconstruction DIEP using tummy muscle at the age of 67 and came through fine. Your operation is different but I expect the outcome will be the same. The results are wonderful and will lift you when you are fully healed. Take good care of yourself. Best of luck.  

sue G
Posted by

Hi There

I had a mastectomy and a delayed LD reconstrution in 2010. Ask away. What would you like to know?

Sue

Diag 22/2/2008

Bay city roller
Posted by

Hi there, I’ve got quite a few questions I’m afraid, here goes, how is the pain factor after the op, how long was the recovery time, would you recommend the reconstruction, did you have chemo or radiotherapy, I was diagnosed 5 wks ago and then they found a lump in my ovary during the MRI, luckily it’s just a fibroid, but my mastectomy was delayed until the lump was checked out, I’m in the process of being checked out for the brac 2 gene as I’m in the high risk category so there’s a chance I might need both breasts off, tbh I’m coping pretty well as I’m a very positive person and I’ve still got a lot of living left in me, lol, thanks for replying, My name is Cathy which I should have mentioned at the beginning, 

Bay city roller fan
elanora
Posted by

Hi Cathy,  I'm Norah, It is natural to have lots of questions as it helps to get a complete picture of what you might face. Don't be afraid to ask your consultant. I made a list of things that I wanted to know, as knowledge helped me to understand the nature of the beast. You sound positive which is always a good basis from which to start. Keep your belief high and be determined to fight. You can conquer this disease and live a fulfilling life.

30 years ago I was like you when they found a lump in my breast. I felt like I had been punched in the solar plexus. All kinds of scenario's went through my mind and I thought I would die the next day. I didn't and so my long journey began. I had a mastectomy with all nodes removed. The tumour was in situ so I didn't need any chemo or radiotherapy. I had an implant inserted which last for 20 years +, it was when this started to perish that I asked for the DIEP surgery. 

The operation went really well and I felt fine. Obviously there is some pain but nothing I couldn't deal with and they put a syringe driver in, but to be honest I didn't use it much. Of course everyone is different and pain tolerance is an individual thing but I honestly think you will cope really well. My worst pain was from the tummy tuck they did after taking the muscle out. A woman who helped me a lot in the early days had the same operation that you are having and she was fine.

Following surgery I was keen to get on my feet and did the day after with the physio. I am a great believer in following advice from the medics as they know what is what.

The massive plus for me was the results which are so good. Recovery times vary, mine was ok but I did have a couple of setbacks with leakage from the breast site but I think this was due to the previous implant. Trying to stand upright can be painful as you are fearful of doing damage but try to follow advice from physio.

I hope this helps Cathy, I will be routing for you.  Be kind to yourself and check out some alternative therapies, like visualisation, you can take yourself to some wonderful places. If that makes sense. Good luck and hugs. Love Norah 

Bay city roller
Posted by

Thank you so much for replying, it’s great to hear positive feed back, I’ll definitely be taking your advice and writing down questions to as the consultant who I’ve to see this Thursday, hopefully ll have a date then for the mastectomy, thanks again, Cathy G, xxx

Bay city roller fan
elanora
Posted by

You are welcome. Hope all goes well for you on Thursday. Take care and let me know when you get your date. Norah xxx