Breast cancer

Affected by breast cancer? Join this group to share experiences and ask questions to people who understand what you're going through.

Letrozole

Molly46
Posted by

I have been taking Letrozole for over two years now and have suffered from very painful knees which now affects my walking.  Is anyone else experiencing this?if so any recommendations on what can help.  I'm going on holiday soon and I'm very tempted to stop taking it to see if this pain improves although I know that's not a very good idea.

moomy
Posted by

Hi Molly,

ive only been on Letrozole since April this year and am beginning to get hand joint pain which varies, but also one hip which bothers me. I chatted to my BCN and asked if Glucosamine and Chondroiting might help. I’m already taking Loratidine (brand name Claritin) which is known to help with bone and joint pain. She agreed it might help but then advised not to go on too long of it’s still giving me problems, so I suspect they may be able to change to a different AI. 

Might be worth you asking too if they could think of a way of combatting the pain you’re getting.

hugs xxx

Moomy

ronstar
Posted by

Hi

I'm with moomy on this - try to find some sort of solution rather than stop taking it - I'm sure they can try you on a different AI or even put you on Tamoxifen (it is still effective for post menopausal women even though they prefer the AI's) Have you been to your GP to ask for pain relief? Even if it's short term to give you a break and get you through your holiday.

Hope you can find something to help!

R

Bustysusy
Posted by

I've been taking letrozole for just over 3 years without too many SE might to worth asking if you can try different brands

MIND OVER MATTER - I don't mind and what you think doesn't matter.
moomy
Posted by

Hi again Molly,

i also found (I like to walk, 3 miles is my favourite one near home) if I take trekking poles and use them like Nordic walking it takes some weight off my legs and is a good work out too. It’s not quite as obvious as using a walking stick too! Just a different way of looking at the problem! 

Hugs xxx

Moomy

Molly46
Posted by

Thank you, that's a good idea, as I can't use a walking stick

Molly

Molly46
Posted by

I have tried that approach but have been told I'm on the rolls Royce of tablets for me. But thanks for the response

Mly

wombat.23
Posted by

Hiya,

I found glucosamine + omega 3 + chondroitin tablets really helped me when I first started taking letrozole. Quite pricey but Tesco and Asda often have 3 for 2 deals.

I also have stuck to the same brand, accord.

Cwtches,

Gay xxx