Breast cancer

Affected by breast cancer? Join this group to share experiences and ask questions to people who understand what you're going through.

I am due to have a mastectomy next week any helpful advice

juley68
Posted by

I am having a mastectomy on 19th July do you think I will be fit enough to go on a prearranged day trip on the 4th August... 

julie

wombat.23
Posted by

Hiya ,

From my experience I don't see why not. You will probably need painkillers for the first few days and then your drain(s) may be in for 7-10 days. Hope you have got something nice planned.

Cwtches,

Gay xxx

Weeblemum
Posted by

I had a mastectomy in late November 2013 and spent 5 nights in hospital after a huge bleed on the first night. 

I went 200 miles to a ball in the first week in December and survived - I was still sore and a bit wibbly wobbly, but I enjoyed it and even managed a few dances! 

As long as you're not doing something like bungee jumping, mountain climbing or competitive lawnmowing, you should be okay on a day out - just make sure that you're wearing comfy clothes and have some pain killers on hand in case you need them! 

Good luck with the op!

Best wishes

Cathy

x

juley68
Posted by

Thank you for replying... a day trip to Brighton for my 50th birthday on a coach x

julie

juley68
Posted by

Thank you for replying... I’m in a coach trip to Brighton for my 50th...I will make sure I take it easy thank you ...

julie

jowoomot
Posted by

Hi

It may depend if you are having a reconstruction at the same time ? If you aren't it is generally a straightforward operation. Are you also having a sentinel node biopsy at the same time ? For me when I had my lumpectomy the SNB was the sorest, but I was out and about the following day - I also then needed a mastectomy and had an immediate implant reconstruction, and whilst I had my drains in (just under a week) it restricted what I could do, but once they were removed I was pretty much okay, although I had lots of itchiness and was uncomfortable at times, but not in any pain.

Just make sure you take it easy at first, and give yourself time to heal, and then you can really enjoy your birthday!

Best wishes

Jo x

Weeblemum
Posted by

Ah, never thought of that!

I didn't have a reconstruction and therefore drain was out after a few days (although I needed a lot of seroma removals afterwards!)

I had SNB at time of mastectomy but no ANC clearance, so my op was possibly less major than the OP might be going through! 

Best wishes

Cathy

x