Breast cancer

Affected by breast cancer? Join this group to share experiences and ask questions to people who understand what you're going through.

Mastectomy

Minksy
Posted by

I went for my results today and was told the same as you. Thought i was going to have lumpectomy but was told mastectomy and reconstruction on 24th April. Not sure how i feel. Keep saying i am ok but i am terrified.

Wish there was someone near me that was going through the same that i could talk to

Minksy
Posted by

Hope all went well. I have got the same to go through on 24th April. They told me the same about expandable implant but said they would not know till the day what implant they would use.

I have not cried scared if i start i will not stop.

X

Rach1969
Posted by

Loretta, thanks for ringing me today. You are in my thoughts, and I'm always, always here for you. I will ring you before your surgery.

Sending you lots of love & hugs,

Love Rach xxxxx

Let's stay strong together! 

Millie2018
Posted by

Hi Moomy

It doesn’t feel too bad at the moment! It’s obviously very sore - bitmore than I was expecting. Swollen and bruised so a bit difficult to judge what it actually feels like. 

It’s numb to touch and was worried that the weight would feel different but that seems ok. 

The drain is a bit of a pain to carry around so looking forward to that coming out, then healing properly and seeing and feeling what it will be like.

It’s nowhere as weird as I was expecting but it’s early days. Came home last night, much nicer to sleep in your own bed.

Take care and try not to worry too much over the weekend - eat lots of chocolate 

Helen xx

Freewheeling
Posted by

Minksy

I spoke to people through the Breast Cancer Care Someone Like Me service. This was really useful.

I had extensive high grade DCIS and struggled with the advice to have a mastectomy. I had a mastectomy and DIEP reconstruction in September. Unfortunately the DIEP failed almost immediately and I had post op complications (pneumonia and a PE). It is only now that I am struggling to accept the mastectomy and make decisions about reconstruction and deal with the emotional fallout.

It's a very hard journey whichever road we take.

Best wishes

Freewheeling

Minksy
Posted by

Helen They have told me i will be in hospital 2 to 3 days

Hipe yiu are ok my op is 24th april xxc

loritojoy
Posted by

I will be having my pre-med on the 23 April and surgery 3rd May I would be very pleased if you would befriend me maybe we could help each other,

Loretta

Millie2018
Posted by

Hi ladies 

So I came home 24 hours after my op was lovely to sleep in my own bed last night, much more comfortable as could prop a soft pillow against my new boob. 

I’m up and about today dressed with my little drain bag over my shoulder! District nurse has called says everything seems fine so all good here.

Yes I am sore and it’s a bit uncomfortable but honestly it’s not that bad at all. Am taking paracetamol and ibuprofen and have strong antibiotics to take whilst the drain is in.

Wishing you lovely ladies all the best, I know you will stress and worry it’s only natural. Be kind to yourselves and have lots of lovely Easter chocolate this weekend cos you deserve it.

Helen xx

moomy
Posted by

Hi Helen, 

Thanks so much for your reassurances! I got told the drains might be up to a couple of weeks, but if there's less draining they could be out sooner. So you get a wee bag to pop them into?! 

I hope that pain control is easy, and you find the pain level drops now you're more comfortable at home, the first few days are bound to be the worst. Again, because of my poor ability to take anti inflammatories, they said they can pack local anaesthetic in the wound anyway. I guess that should last a day or so. 

Hugs xxx

Moomy

Millie2018
Posted by

Ooh yes I was given a little bag with a long strap to wear across by body! Was also given a little heart shaped cushion too. These have obviously been made by local volunteers, well they look home made to me. Only have one drain which is coming out from underneath my boob- haven’t looked too closely to be honest. 

BCN said generally 7- 10 days is average. Fluid must be 40 mls or less for 2 consecutive days before it can come out. 

Am just taking my painkillers regularly at the moment. 

Helen xx

sue G
Posted by

Hi Millie

I used to put the bottle in a Tesco carrier and put the bag loops through the belt on my jeans. Could then walk around hands free. 

If you want to be posh you could use a Waitrose one.

Sue

Diag 22/2/2008

Minksy
Posted by

I would be happy to befriend you Loretta. Would be happy for you to message me.  I am petrified how about you.

Jacmatholmad
Posted by

Hi @moomy

i have a crossover bag for a drain that my Mum made me when I needed it back in December, if you like I can post to you? Can do it tomorrow so should get it Tuesday ? It's very handy, a bright sunny yellow colour with butterflies on.

i have 2 so if anyone else would like one then let me know.

jac 

Jac x
moomy
Posted by

Hi Jac, 

That's really sweet of you! I do have various small bags which might fit the bill, but if I'm stuck I will remember! 

I'm pretty good with needle and thread, too, so if one is needed I've got material and can rustle something up! Getting it ready to pop over a jeans belt loop is a good idea too. 

Hugs xxx

Moomy

JoDec
Posted by

Hi All, I was initially told I was having neo-adjuvent chemo to shrink the lumps in the hope of avoiding an Mx. The lumps were both completely gone after chemo, one in the breast and one in axilla, but they said an Mx was the ‘only’ real option. I was glad and actually wanted a dbl (that's another story). My Mx was on the 24th Jan and I had a staged recon done immediately. I was amazed at the lack of pain, how well I felt immediately afterwards and how neat the scar was. I have lost a lot of the feeling in the area, no feeling on the skin of the breast at all, or at the back of my arm and underarm, but maybe that helped in terms of pain? I also had some cording and although I did the exercises daily, it didn't prevent it. I resorted to stretching at every opportunity, reaching up high to open and close all the curtains was a good one, reaching for anything on a top shelf etc. It has almost gone now and I have had no issue with movement in my arm or shoulder, even for radiotherapy. I feel very normal again, just two months after my op!

This is all manageable ladies and you can do it. I was really not well through chemo and struggled big style, so I am not someone that sails through everything. I really think you will be okay, just hang in there and do what they say is best. Keep yourselves well and just get to the next step, slowly and confidently. Xxx

Jo Jo x

None of us wanted to be in this group, but we are glad we're not alone.

Diagnosis 2/8/17 IDC Her2+ with mets in lymph, TCHP chemo started 23/8/17, Mx with immediate, temp recon 24/1/18, rads 20/3 to 10/4/18, Herceptin by IV until Nov 18. Perm recon and contralateral Mx planned, but not happened yet!