Breast cancer

Affected by breast cancer? Join this group to share experiences and ask questions to people who understand what you're going through.

Mastectomy

loritojoy
Posted by

I went for my appointment Monday thought I would be told I was having a lumpectomy was shocked when I heard I need a mastectomy  any advice on how to cope with this news.

Millie2018
Posted by

Hi

I’m actually sitting in my hospital room waiting to go down to theatre for a mx on my right boob - having an implant put straight back in.

I was told at my initial diagnosis that I’d have a lumpectomy then radiotherapy, this was beginning of January. They also checked my lymph node (had 2 removed which thankfully were clear).

What I’ve come to realise is this disease is so not straightforward so things change every time you get an appointment. I had 2 excisions before they mentioned the mx. 

It’s devastating news and a lot to get your head around and accept but at the end of the day we have to think what’s best in the long term for us. 

Even today the consultant threw a curve ball and started talking about an expanding implant to get the best size and shape - I’m like stop now, I can’t make any more decisions today my head is spinning as it is.

Plenty of tears have been shed, no one wants to be in this position but at least i know it’s in my best interests. 

Wishing you all the best and sending hugs

Helen x

Moresleep
Posted by

Hi

I’m really sorry about the news. I was faced with the same over one area of DCIS that measured 4.5cm. Nodes clear. I wanted a lumpectomy and was told all the team had discussed it and all strongly advised a mastectomy. I had it with immediate reconstruction by diep. To me it was a brute of a surgery to deal with a small bit of non invasive cells. It is devastating news when you had your heart set on keeping your breast. Some women cope with it very well and are more than happy to have the surgery. But for others, including me, it was a horrible nasty shock. At the end of the day you have to look at the positive side of things and hope that the professionals are giving you the best advice possible. Xxxxx

Millie2018
Posted by

Moresleep

I feel exactly the same as you! Keep asking why if it’s non invasive why such a drastic procedure. They’ve removed 2.5cms previously in the 2 attempts and I was originally told they’ll remove up to 4cms before a mx is considered! 

Well anyway I’m here now shaking like leaf but I know it’s a quicker op than what you’ve been through with a quicker recovery. I’ve had previous abdominal surgery so Diep not really an option. 

Thinks it’s going to take a long time to come to terms with and many more tears.

Xx

Moresleep
Posted by

Millie2018

It's a cruel blow for just a few dodgy cells that haven't developed into anything and may not....... although mine were high grade and they thought they would eventually. At the end of the day you have to take on board what the doctors recommend as they have the experience. Hope all goes well with the surgery and implant. Look after yourself after the operation and take some time off to recover.XXxxxx

moomy
Posted by

Hi Millie, 

Thinking of you today, take it easy and follow instructions! 

Will be learning from you next week when I face mine.....

Hugs xxx

Moomy

londongurl
Posted by

Hi Loritjoy - I’m similar in that originally I thought I was going to get away with just a lumpectomy but am now resigned to the fact that I need to trust their opinions and mastectomy is the best course of action whether I would choose it or not.  But it’s such a shock and a lot to take in - you have my sympathy xx

Moresleep - would you mind me adding you as a friend?   I would love to ask a few questions if you don’t mind? Xx

Millie2018 - I’m similar to yourself and moresleep.  Sending you my very best wishes for your op today xx

Moomy - also good wishes for yours also xx

sue G
Posted by

Hi there

I remember being told I was to have a mastectomy and I nearly passed out. I had a mammogram and ultrasound at the clinic and was told there was nothing to be seen.

Consultant said he could feel a bit of swelling under my arm and took biopsies. Came back positive for lobular cancer hence mastectomy.

At the end of the day I just wanted the cancer out of my body whatever.

You will get over the shock and then you can decide whether you want a reconstruction.

My diagnosis was 2008 and I am 10 years NED.

I see from your profile that you have lots of friends to support you so let them help.

All the very best

Sue xxx

i  

Moresleep
Posted by

Hi Londongurl

Please add me as friend. More than happy to answer questions to the best of my experience.

londongurl
Posted by

Thank you will do xx

Millie2018
Posted by

Hi ladies

Well the deed is done and at the moment I’m feeling good in myself! Very sore and tired as didn’t get much sleep.

Boob does look weird have to admit but the BCN assured me this is just that the drain is sucking the implant in and there’s obv some swelling and bruising. 

She assured me that once the drain comes out it will soon settle into how it’s meant to be. 

Did ball my eyes out walking to theatre but there were plenty of hugs from the nurses there. Haven’t cried yet post op maybe it’s just that I’m relieved that it’s all over.

Good luck for Tuesday Moomy, any questions please ask

Helen xx

Moresleep
Posted by

Well done!!!!! It’s good to have had it done and you will start to feel better with each day. The crying pre op is all the stress and anxiety. Glad to hear you are doing so well. Xxxxxx

loritojoy
Posted by

Thank you ladies for all your kinds thoughts I will not be having an implant I was told it would be risky because of my existing medical problems I will be having a cumfie to start with and then a falsie to fit in my bra. I will follow all your progress with interest.

Loretta

ronstar
Posted by

Hi  

it's a shock when your treatment plan changes, isn't it? I was diagnosed in Feb 16 and was originally told lumpectomy and nodes were clear, but then it changed to mastectomy and full node clearance. I remember at the end of chemo, asking my surgeon what if this or that did or didn't happen - then could I have a lumpectomy? He told me no quite firmly. I am a little different in that I was offered recon but chose not to have it. As human beings, we are incredibly resilient - you will adjust in time.  I won't lie - I didn't find it easy and it took me quite a while to accept my new "chest" (still struggling to find a term I like!) but it's about 18 months since my surgery and I am more than OK with it now. 

I thought I would also tell you about knitted knockers if you don't already know. I learnt about them here and am soooo grateful. It is a charity that will send you a knitted "breast" for free. They are donated and the charity post them out to you. Have a look at their uk website. I much prefer them to my softie or prosthesis - they are nice and soft but much more breast-shaped than the softies.

Hope you are slowly processing this news.

R

moomy
Posted by

Hi Helen, 

So glad you're doing well, and bless you for remembering! I am already feeling worried of course, but know they will take care of me. 

The few days away has been a godsend, taken my mind off it all now and then, though sleep hasn't been easy! 

Hope your recovery is totally normal and easy, and the pain recedes to discomfort and then goes! Does it feel 'odd'? 

Hugs xxx

Moomy