Breast cancer

Affected by breast cancer? Join this group to share experiences and ask questions to people who understand what you're going through.

It seems I'm a patient now!

Flossie25
Posted by

So true My car is now over 16 yrs old, had it from new, and I will be paying a fair bit to have it serviced to keep it safe to drive ...tomorrow !! We’ve  been looking to get a new one, well up to a couple of years old, to replace both our cars. We’ve got one petrol, one diesel which we use for long distances. If electric cars were a reasonably priced, you could drive long distances, the battery technology was good and there was a good infrastructure in place I’d go electric ... but there isn’t. Wasn’t able to decide last year but feel I’m ready so we are test driving again...the favourites from last year plus others we hadn’t considered. Anyway, like you we don’t change our cars very often ... plus we repaired our washer dryer ourselves and that must be about 14years old now. 

Xx

“ The only constant thing in life is change “

moomy
Posted by

Hi Flossie,

hope your car doesn’t need too much doing to it and the bills aren’t too high!

I'm with you, electric cars don’t yet do the distances we all need, plus we need loads of charging points and the cost needs to be low! 

Hugs xxx

Moomy

moomy
Posted by

I’m a wee bit uncomfortable today around hips and lower back, yoga really worked that area last night! I know it will ease once I properly get going though.... a walk? Maybe, before the threatened storms begin?

hugs xxx

Moomy

Flossie25
Posted by

Just been reading an article about what we can do to help with environmental issue and I’m well on my way. I’ve already started to look at how I can ditch plastic....reusable bags, swapping bottled shower gel for soap, shampoo bars etc. I’m not a shopaholic re clothes but must look at ethical shopping. I recycle old clothes. We dont change appliances, or anything, just because the colour isn’t matching. I don’t order a lot online..low delivery. I do need to look at cleaning products and go natural...I’m whittling down the bottles though.  I don’t think there’s a plastic free shop around here where you can fill you own containers or I’d use it. I ignore best before dates on food...use the old fashioned way of smell and taste so less food waste. We eat more vegetarian dishes than meat based. Cook from scratch. I think I’ll try an eco ball instead of powder/gel to wash....I don’t use conditioner anyway. Still use a car though but if I had my bus pass I’d use local public transport a lot more. Do like a train journey though and do use trains regularly as have railcard. Can’t cut out long haul flights as need to see family ... would take too long to get there by other modes of transport.  Have ink cartridges ready to recycle. There must be loads more ways, more ideas out there.

Hoping to get car back today .... I think will be trying to sell it soon as our garage guy says it’s not at the scrappable stage ...it’s just age and wear and tear ... a bit like me  

Xx

puzzler
Posted by

hi ….cars …...have you thought about a hybrid ? I am not technically minded but my son in law has a car that uses petrol to get going ,then changes to battery , and the battery charges as he drives ( ?! ) , if the battery goes flat it changes to petrol …..

I haven`t had a plastic bag for 25 years at least ,I don`t buy water in bottles etc …...my bug bear is washing solution , supermarket shelves full of bottles of it , I have always used powder bought in boxes ,and I use this to wash up too ,so I don`t buy washing up liquid in single use bottles !!!  I had 7 months not using shampoo conditioner or mascara , but I am going to start again soon !!!  My eldest daughter is mad keen on all this , she puts out 2 bags of rubbish a year !!! She has 2 kids , She made their cotton nappies  !!

Have a fun day and remember how much pollution China USA and Russia are causing ….best wishes !!

moomy
Posted by

I too try to use as little plastic as possible, certainly buy all fruit and veg ‘free’.

i’ve  also gone onto shampoo bars but they are awfully messy when you put them down again! So I don’t find it that good. 

Wish we too, had a container free shop round here, I’d certainly take my own containers to refill!

i haven’t used plastic shopping bags (the strong ones you used to have to buy before the single use ones got charged for) for years, (still got some of them packed up small in case of need) bought a set of bags which fit s supermarket trolley years back from Lakeland which wash when they get messy, and have used them for years now. I try to drive to shop only once weekly if possible, walk to our local shop for anything extra. Again I use my bus pass whenever possible, and have a rail card too as I’m ancient! But hubs has seriously limited mobility so we do need a vehicle as he can’t get further than round the house and garden (frequent sitting down needed if he does much round the garden) without the need for a wheelchair. The one vehicle we have takes his wheelchair, he has a Blue Badge which helps. 

Ive thought about a hybrid and this may be the way we go eventually, but it will need to be a decent size to take that wheelchair! 

Hugs xxx

Moomy

moomy
Posted by

It’s really clouding over, glad I got my walk in before the weather really turns! And I just sat down with a coffee and it’s pouring! Phew! 

hugs xxx

Moomy

Flossie25
Posted by

Funny ... was just saying to OH we should test drive a hybrid car . Got old car back this morning after spending a few quid on it. It always feels good to drive after a service, and of course extra work done on it. Then I start thinking that it’s so good to drivE, it fits like an old glove, and ask how many services could I get out of the price of a new car ...... at least til I get my bus pass surely. By that time the government will have scrapped bus passes I’m sure.... hoping they dont put my state pension back another 6 years !!!!

Still warm and sunny here

Xx

moomy
Posted by

Just had an amazing time watching ‘Dame Janet Baker, in her own words’ on iPlayer, what a truly wonderful voice she has and so poignantly sad seeing André Previn talking, knowing how recently he died. Also Sir John Barbirolli, who I had the pleasure of seeing conduct too, and knowing how well he brought on the Hallé, which Sir Mark Elder has brought back too. 

Feeling quite emotional. 

hugs xxx

Moomy

seaspirit44
Posted by

How wonderful xxxx

Onwards and flatwards (don't do hills) and keep walking if you can!

moomy
Posted by

If you’re interested, Seaspirit, it’s available on iPlayer catch up, a BBC4 programme.

hugs xxx

Moomy

seaspirit44
Posted by

Thank you , will look it up xxx

Onwards and flatwards (don't do hills) and keep walking if you can!

moomy
Posted by

I’m sure you’ll enjoy it, Seaspirit, a wonderful insight into a dedicated singer. 

Awake really early, cuss! I’ve had the bread machine going overnight and never seem to sleep well when I do that, crazy as it’s perfectly ok and has still 30 minutes or so to run! I know all is well as I can smell fresh bread! 

Hugs xxx

Moomy

moomy
Posted by

And we are in a cute cottage (well multi-layered town house is perhaps a better description!) with a welcome pack including a very tasty Pino Grigio, which I’m enjoying right now! 

Lots of eateries and take aways nearby, hopefully some of the canned and packet foods I brought will go home to be eaten there, hahaha! 

I love Dorset! But we may have to batten down the hatches tonight and tomorrow.....

Hugs xxx

Moomy

AnnJac
Posted by

Oooh.  Have a lovely time Moomy.  And do make use of the eateries around.  You don't want to be cooking when you are having a break xx

Anne xx