Breast cancer

Affected by breast cancer? Join this group to share experiences and ask questions to people who understand what you're going through.

Crafts and BC

Weeblemum
Posted by

- nice! I'd like to find a club that does different things to try! 

Today's effort - meerkat - another one of my facebook challenge items 

Best wishes

Cathy

x

ShimmeringUnicorn
Posted by

Hi 

It is good to get to try other stuff or to lend your expertise to others having a go.

However...the craft group I attended was run by folk 'just having a go' who run a community charity shop and now the craft group has been switched to a grub club.

Now I like food too and it is lovely that a different set of people come along ..the crafts were for women over 50, grub for anyone over 50, but I miss my crafty fix.

The plan was to have activities after the meal but so far its only been bingo as its so popular.

I wish I had taken them more seriously or been more diligent when they were asking for ideas for crafty projects they hadn't tried. Ha, I am a teacher so could have given them a beautifully costed, scheme with session plans if I had known the group was at risk.

It is linked to available funding however, and one of the organisers sources funds for organisations so at the moment, food projects must be more viable. Crafts can be expensive...especially if you book a demonstrator/tutor. It can be eyewatering ...umm hang on...  why aren't we crafty types demonstrating and being in receipt of eyewatering sums??? Doh!

Take care

...it is OK because unicorns can see you : )

Violetsniff
Posted by

Hi ....yes it is lovely that we try new things at Creative Craft.I am sorry that you have had that bad experience.It sounds like yours was taken over either by avarice,or strong personalities.grrrrr.Well done though for costing lovely new projects.The world needs more people like you !!Violetsniff X

and I loved your doll....she was so human!!xx

”The Sky is beautiful”

ShimmeringUnicorn
Posted by

Oooooh .... I must not have put it very well... I meant that funding for crafts came to an end but funds were available for food projects.

The folk who facilitate it are unpaid volunteers and one of the organisers has a job which involves seeking and matching funds for community and charitable organisations, so if anyone knew of some crafty funding she would.

They are a community organisation so a few different projects are tackled and change over time.

Here is one of my Christmas craft group efforts

Hmmm not the best angle...it is a wooden log reindeer with tree branch antlers. Kors mine had to have ankle warmers to match his scarf 

Cheers

Kacang
Posted by

Love those corn decorations - look like fun to make. And the reindeer's great too

I'd love a community craft group but most of the classes round our way are run by shops so they're paid lessons really - not quite the same. 

I do belong to a Cooking Circle run by a local church. About 25 people come each week. Basically we cook lunch then eat it. One person each week is the lead cook who provides the recipes and does the shopping. Everyone else helps cook, sets the table or washes up. The best bit is that there are people from loads of different countries - Pakistan, Singapore, Thailand, Kenya, USA, Japan, China, Zimbabwe, Malaysia etc as well as several Aussies - so we get to learn recipes from different countries. Last time I was lead cook I chose middle eastern food so we had falafel, hummus, kofta in tomato sauce, tabbouleh and bread, with baklava for dessert and all made from scratch apart from the bread (I would have done that too but the oven isn't great). And the cost is less than a simple cheese sandwich. It's great fun and there are some really lovely people. 

Lynn xx 

ShimmeringUnicorn
Posted by

Wooooo! Cooking circle sounds fabulicious!

I once 'persuaded' my young niece to do an Indian cookery course with me as I was worse than broke and it was free if it was Family Learning. 

It was amazing...all the kids made the breads and had a go at the stirring n flipping etc of the main course. The kids got so efficient at the naan etc I reckon we could have set up a catering van 

Most inconveniently, my niece decided she would rather play with her pal, who wasn't interested in cooking, than continue, but we did most of it.

Scrumptious 

Cheers

Silverberg
Posted by

Hi Weeblemum

I too use to teach, I handed in my notice 8 days ago. People don't need demos now. If it's not on Pinterest it doesn't exist according to one of our recentNQTs.

I also admit to missing my craft fix. Although manage to quell it somewhat looking after granddaughters.

I noticed painting classes available in our village hall the other day. It's amazing what you see when you go for a walk. Sounds right up my street.

Stand by your paint pots.

Happy Days

I'd rather be polishing a Red Arrow.
Silverberg
Violetsniff
Posted by

Well said!!....yes I think classes are starting up in lots of places if you know where to look!!I recently “found” U3A locally and havent looked back....

I made this scarf for my sister who I just went to stay with,recently(and got a bit of RSI for my pains!better now),and here is a cross stitch I finished for her some time ago....

”The Sky is beautiful”

Kacang
Posted by

Love the scarf I could do with one like that right now. It's freezing here!!!!! Your little mouse is cute too. 

I am still plodding on with the amazing patterned blanket. Only 4 hexagons to go and then loads of grafting to put it all together. Trouble is I'm so sick of it, I've slowed right down.

I have the yarn and pattern to make a big cuddly cardigan but I won't start till I've finished the blanket. It'll probably be summer by then unfortunately.

Lynn xx 

Tigermum
Posted by

that little mouse with his blackberries is too cute. I might actually get to pick some this year - last year it was not uppermost in my mind! 

I've been carrying on with my cross stitch - got 3 patterns on the go at the moment! Also bought some wool for the winter knitting extravaganza - just not sure yet what I'll knit!!

Sandie

When life gives you rain - play in the puddles.

Dreierlei
Posted by

Me and my neighbour caused some friendly smiles today at chemo from others in the room.

She was knitting a woollen hat, and me crocheting a cushion cover from a ball of various colours of knotted yarn remnants.

We both had to stop though, when the drip was started.

Lisa_F
Posted by

I'm pleased to have found my stitching bug again.

Didn't do any stitching after my mastectomy and for the first round of chemo but started again a couple of weeks ago. Finally finished a Christmas sampler I started ages ago and started a new one - Hogfather from Discworld.

Lisa
Violetsniff
Posted by

Thanks dor your kind comments.

@DreilereI think that knitting with knotted yarns sounds so great!!pleasesend a pic....also...I have seen some ladies who knit with one long needle under theie arm...I am sure you can rise to the challenge!!

Wow!!!x

”The Sky is beautiful”

Weeblemum
Posted by

- that sampler is great! Love the sound of the Hogfather one - love Discworld!

- loving your work!

I've been a bit lax in recent days - have things on the go  - have sent a sloth and a llama to new homes. At present, I'm doing a pug, a dachshund and more meerkats, but am being a bit of a butterfly and flitting between them so not finishing anything! 

Best wishes

Cathy

x

Dreierlei
Posted by

Lisa, this is a wonderful sampler.