Breast cancer

Affected by breast cancer? Join this group to share experiences and ask questions to people who understand what you're going through.

Walking back to Happiness

moomy
Posted by

Walked into town and back, more prescriptions!

hugs xxx

Moomy

AnnJac
Posted by

My walking confined to house today.  Walked round kitchen and made fridge soup (whatever stray vegies are in the fridge that need using up).  Then will walk round jigsaw puzzle!

Met colleagues for lunch yesterday as part of my retirement farewells (I am having a few such sessions). But it did make me very sad.  My management team - so the people i worked so closely with.  But my replacement is doing a good job, differently from how I would do things (but that's fine), and the office didn't fall apart because I haven't been there.  I put it down to my leadership having got things into such a good state!  But I will miss them and it was lovely to see them all together and have a nice social lunch.  And my hair is now longer than most of them.  Mind you two are quite bald, one shaves his and the other two probably still have longer hair than me!  (All men).  But I did feel quite down as I left them.  Normal I suppose.  The end of such an important part of my life.  Work was my job, my hobby, my life challenges - and I did enjoy it so much.  It gave me such a buzz to be involved in exciting projects, to work with such talented people, and to lead a team that achieved fantastic results which were recognised nationally within the industry.  

I am meeting up with the colleagues I did a masters degree with (we graduated 2 and a half years ago with me by far the oldest in the group at turned 60 then - i was honoured that work sponsored me at such an old age!) for an evening get together next wednesday.  Alcohol will be involved with these 30 and 40 year olds!  So i have booked a hotel.  Then the following day I am having lunch with my head of service and my management peers.  Then on the 24th is my formal leaving do where there will no doubt be speeches etc!  I have my dear mate Simon lined up to pull funny faces at me so i don't cry!  Then the pub and then a few of us will grab a pizza.  Then that will be it (although retirement day actually 31st May).  It will feel so strange.

Sorry - that was a bit of a waffle on about my retirement!  And in the middle of all those events is my trip down to London for the Royal Garden Party! 

Hopefully you are all well xx

Anne xx

Amalie
Posted by

Hi everyone I hope you have been able to get out and about a bit despite it being so cold.

AnnJac it’s lovely you are doing so many things to mark your retirement but it will touch you - such a significant event. Especially when your work has been enjoyable and involved good people. What did you do?

I am up in Yorkshire visiting my sister, we walked up to the Cow and Calf this morning (Ilkley Moor) this is a pic of some of the fire damage.  

Then we had a very well deserved pub lunch!

Amalie xx

May the force be with you

moomy
Posted by

Dear AnnJac, 

sounds really amazing! Enjoy each and every last moment!

hugs xxx

Amalie, that fire was scary, so glad they got it all out 

hugs xxx

Moomy

AnnJac
Posted by

Hi Amalie.  Hope the weather is being kind although I expect it wasnt great (i live in North Yorkshire!).

I have been off sick sincs August.  By profession I was a Construction Project Manager and latterly I led a 34 strong team of architects, quantity surveyors, engineers and project managers who designed and managed the construction of new schools, leisure centres, libraries, corporate listed buidlings, caravan parks etc.  It's a small world as my team have built a new special needs school where works!

Anne xx

Amalie
Posted by

Wow, that is a great career! I’m sure very fulfilling and rewarding seeing plans come to fruition and lovely new buildings. A lot for you to miss! 

Do you sometimes see or drive past buildings you have been involved with?

Amalie xx

AnnJac
Posted by

All the time Amalie.  I project managed the refurbishment of Bridlington Spa and I used to refer to that as my third teenage son.  The project finished just as my boys were going off to college and uni and I had to let go of all three at once.  Gave them all the wings to fly and succeed on their own!  But it is lovely to visit it now and see how well it is used and how well it is standing up to the all the fantastic events that are held there.

Anne xx

TheScriptFan
Posted by

you should see our new school it's amazing. Once i get back to work AnnJac is going to be coming and looking at it now it is all finished, and i can show off that i know the lady who made it what it is.

i didn't know you did Brid Spa as well. I saw The Script there 2 years ago, so in a way thats all thanks to you for making it good enough to have them there. I even got front row like a teenager lol 

It's gonna make us who we are, it's written in the scars   "The Script"

AnnJac
Posted by

Hi .  Yes Brid Spa was my first project for the Council.  It was the project that I learned the most from and was that one special project you have in a career.  I was on the building site with my team for over 2 years.  That is the project i look on most fondly from my 44 year!!! career.

So glad you got to see The Script there.  And I do hope they visit again.  It is a fab venue now for all sorts of acts and events.

Anne xx

Amalie
Posted by

It’s a small world!

AnnJac sounds like you have left a great legacy in the area, creations that will be there for years to come.

Hopefully it will help with the emotions about retirement, I can’t imagine there are many people who will have left such marks on the landscape!

Amalie xx

AnnJac
Posted by

Thanks Amalie.  What a lovely way of thinking of it - really helps.

Anne xx

moomy
Posted by

AnnJac,

i agree, and it’s testament to how you are regarded  by all who have been working with and for you, that you’ve had that invitation to a Garden Party, truly well deserved. 

Hugs xxx

Moomy

AnnJac
Posted by

Golfing widow again.   So come to sit by the river and have an ice cream. 

Anne xx

Violetsniff
Posted by

Ooo,lovely,!!! i dont know why,but I was under the impression you had been a Nurse,totally wrong as usual!!but you will be able to seemyour handiwork for years to come!!

I had a fabo time,I walked along the River this morning and saw some exquisite sites in the sunlight,then went to Church and heard some exquisite singing!!was even able to blend in a bit as the choir ended their procession near to me,still singing,(I always slip in at the back!)

Nice ladies talking to me and I recognised a couple from my old CE  who were really nice.

Then went to their” Volunteer Fair”...so much going on there!!thought I might like drama sewing and joining the ladies group...
I came away a bit overwhelmed there is so much going on there!
And then I walked along the sunshiney River and to the Market.

My sister was unable to take our Mums satin duvet back with her and,as it is too big for me to store,said I could donate it to a charity...sadly for us.It did comfort me when I was getting over cancer,
So This week I phoned around the Charity shops and finally found one which takes second hand quilts and duvets.Acorns (Childrens Hospice charity)does,and I asked if they are used directly for the children and she said “yes,if they are in good condition”
Well I took Mums Quilt along with a little note for the lady to say it was Mums and that it would be lovely if it was in good enough condition to be directly used to keep a child warm)

so pleased X

”The Roses are showing off(their beauty )”

Amalie
Posted by

Lovely pictures today, glad to see the sun is shining wherever we are! I’ve spent most of today outside pottering in the garden and sitting on my sun chair, Had a lovely walk this afternoon as well.

Amalie xx