Breast cancer

Affected by breast cancer? Join this group to share experiences and ask questions to people who understand what you're going through.

* * * OCTOBER breast cancer chemo club * * *

Crystaljuju
Posted by

Having BC Chemotherapy ?

The chemo club is a great place to help support and advise each other during your sessions  - You can use the 'Save In My Favourites' button just to the right to put this discussion on your profile page for easier access.

Items that may prove useful to buy in advance can be found here :chemo tips

If you found something helped you during chemotherapy, do reply to the blog and add it to the list.

Because Everyone Needs a Buddy

Cancer may start the fight but you can finish it

mariemos
Posted by

Many thanks, have been waiting for this discussion to start! I begin tomorow,  6 sessions ECT, having pre-assessment this afternoon. Will appreciate all the support I can get from you lovely people - good luck everyone.

Marie

Teeshun
Posted by

Good luck to you too Marie. I hope it's easy on you 

Gill xx

“It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get back up.” Vince Lombardi

HopeRu
Posted by

Hi All

thank you for the launch of October Chemo Club

I am starting my chemo tomorrow too.

Wishing good luck to everyone!

HopeRu

Scaredgirl34
Posted by

Hi every1 I start Hormone Therapy Wednesday then Chemo Thursday I'm very nervous and scared now! Reality has hit me as it's my last day at work tomorrow to till after treatment xxx

toxophilite
Posted by

Good luck everyone, and be kind to yourselves!!

Hugs xx

Karen

star 67
Posted by

Hi to everyone having Chemo in October and good luck and best wishes to everyone especially if your having your first cycle, I hope you have minimum side effects.

Today I had Cycle 2 of FEC-T.  So far so good I've been tired, and only picked at my dinner, though polished off close on a pack of Jaffa cakes an hour later.  Trust me the burst of orange in your mouth  is great when your on chemo, found this out on 1st cycle  Mmmmm.

Also fruits sherberts sweets are great when feeling queasy, and I can't sing the praises enough  of ginger in all shapes and forms .

My hair started thinning from day 13, but because I've got such thick hair,  which I had cut very short, it hasn't been noticeable, until today that is, now its jumping off my head I look like a yeti I'm covered in hair, I put a hat on but its worked its way through it.  I want it gone now as my scalp has had really sore patches, though only when my hairs been touched.

love to everyone, nite nite

Roar by Katy Perry is keeping me sane, try belting it out the neighbours may complain but boy does it feel good to ROAR!!
Badgerset
Posted by

Snap! My hair started drifting on day 14 post first FEC, today its falling like the autumn leaves! Love your yeti comparison :) 

I'm going to a hair loss salon this afternoon to look at wigs, but have beanies and scarves at the ready. It'll have to be shaved off later for sure :/ 

2nd cycle in 6 days so feeling good now which is a lovely feeling. Lunch out before wig shopping in the sun!

Good luck with your treatments xxx

Ceili
Posted by

Hi All,

good to hear about others in the same rocky boat!!!

Having 2nd cycle, first ended in A&E, but the latter two weeks were managable. 

Friday was day for 2nd treatmeant, and I've been rather poorly since,  Chemo truck has hit!  Weak as a kitten, and only today able to look at internet. 

Wishing everyone an easier time,

Ceili

Anniekz
Posted by

3rd chemo today, last of EC, just 3 of docetaxel and then radiotherapy.  Managing without a PIC line too.  Hoping I cope better than last time, vomiting and ended up in hospital over the weekend but lower dose this time.  I do need to drink more too (got told off a bit today!). No cold cap for me today - managed it for first 2 cycles but hair is so thin now it doesn't seem worth it.

Good luck to everyone esp if you're starting this month xx

star 67
Posted by

Hi Badgerset I think your autumn leaves is a much prettier comparison than a yeti.  Enjoy your wig shopping and good luck with cycle 2.  xx

I had a bathful of hair where I kept shaking my clothes, lucky I live on my own as it was a scary site,  I have cleared it away.  I can't keep out the mirror today I look so funny, all my dark hair seems to have fallen out leaving me very grey. Its about 2.5 inches long its sticking up on end I look like a silver candyfloss it makes me giggle... I certainly didn't expect to find it funny hope I feel the same when its all gone.

I was starting to think about shaving as sore patches over my scalp but its a lot better today so not going to bother as I can wear a cap comfortably.   I'm gonna rock the scarf look until its gone.   I have a fringe and side pieces on hairband to wear underneath, I think I'll feel better with a bit of hair showing through.  I've got a great wig from NHS but couldn't believe the colour match to my dyed hair which was growing out when I chose it, pre candyfloss days.

Well done Anniekz your half way through.  I hope tomorrow is the start of better days to come for you and Ceili you have both had it rough. 

All the best to everyone sending out hugs to you all.

Roar by Katy Perry is keeping me sane, try belting it out the neighbours may complain but boy does it feel good to ROAR!!
owsmum
Posted by

So, I eventually get my oncology appointment. Monday 2pm.

I had right side mastectomy with clearance.

can you lovely ladies tell me what I can expect at my first appointment please.

Thanks

Caz

JoDec
Posted by

Hi All, I started chemo in late August so am just having my 3rd cycle now. Unfortunately after the first two, I was admitted to hospital, firstly for 2 days with dehydration from severe vomitting, then a few days later for 4 days with Acute Kidney Injury after diarrhoea joined the club! After the 2nd cycle I was in for 6 days with very severe diarrhoea, phlebitis and sepsis. 

One vital piece of info, which I was only given while in hospital this last time, is that sickness in itself is not dangerous, as although it can dehydrate you, you only bring up what is on your stomach, but the diarrhoea causes a myriad of other, far more serious issues! You need to stock up on Loperamide and the minute you feel the stomach ache that accompanies diarrhoea, take 2 capsules, then if it doesn't stop it, another after every toilet visit! Hopefully this will keep me out of hospital this cycle and stop any of you being too ill too. Good luck! Xx

Jo Jo x

None of us wanted to be in this group, but we are glad we're not alone.

Chaffinch17
Posted by

I feel for you JoDec you have really had a tough ride! I thought I had a bad night after my first session yesterday but nothing on your scale.

I hope that this cycle is easier.

I had mine at 3pm yesterday and the appointment and administration went like clockwork and apart from feeling a bit spaced I felt ok until about 8:30 then the waves of nausea started. I had eaten a normal tea at 6 in the hope that it would digest before the anti sickness wore off. In hindsight this was a mistake. I held onto it until 2am but I don't think  that I got any benefit from it. 

I only got about 2 hours sleep between 5 and 7am but that was such a relief. I felt so twitchy and out of control and couldn't tell what was side effect nausea and what was anxiety which I think was made worse by the steroids.

I took my 2 steroids this morning along with the Ondansetron in the hope that they will have worn off by bedtime.

Liz

JoDec
Posted by

Hi Liz, I hope you get some sleep tonight! One trick I was told is to graze, not to eat proper meals, just pick at things all day. That way, there is never too much on your tummy at any one time. Sickness is not too dangerous though, it is the diarrhoea that is the real threat and needs to be kept at bay. Get the Loperamide ready and take two as soon as you start to feel any real twinges. I have capsules in almost every room in the house, my bags and both cars, lol! I am determined not to end up in hospital this cycle. Good luck Liz and let me know how you get on over the next few days, xxx.

Jo Jo x

None of us wanted to be in this group, but we are glad we're not alone.