Walking back to Happiness

• 10830 replies
  • 433 subscribers

Well. Welcome to this thread.

You may be surprised why it is here or happy it is here. Then again: ‘You have got to be joking! Do you know what is wrong with me?’ may be your response.

This all began on the Extreme Fatigue thread. On there several people wanted and needed inspiration/incentive to get out and walk. Many people see the benefits of it in their life and to help on this; mad journey, train ride, rollercoaster ride and other positively rude words journey called Breast Cancer.

It is not a thread created to make anyone feel less than they do at present. It is not a thread that will set people against one another. Being competitive with yourself or a simple challenge to yourself is the point, but not a race against others is a key premis.

The idea is that you can do any of these or none:

1. Post when you have walked.
  2. Post how many minutes you walked for.
  3. Post how you felt before, during or after. Or not at all.
  4. Post pictures from your walk, but ones that do not point to where you live.
  5. Post inspirational quotes, thoughts or comments.
  6. A simple like of people’s efforts is fine. No need to write an essay unless you feel the need.
  7. On a safety note. Do tell friends, family or the thread when you leave and return safely. Be aware of your personal safety at all times.

Well here goes.

Either it will grow and blossom, with lots of lovely people benefiting. Or I will have egg all over my face – not for the first time in my chequered life and career.

Leolady – may be adding in the odd gallop to my walks.

PS if you don't like us don't be cruel.

• A pair of reluctant feet . Head full of fog created by an appt. and family

REWARD for 25 mins.

Met a new neighbour.

Head cleared.

WILL now go to Rock Choir and croak like a frog.

Well thought I'd better put my best foot/ boob forward and set an example.

Leolady - avoided galloping though

Life is like a boxing match, defeat is declared not when you fall ..... But when you refuse to stand up again ....... So, I get knocked down but I get up again. x

• What a great idea, Leolady.   I sometimes read the Awake thread but haven't had the guts to post - I like the pictures!  (sound like my son)

Seen this too late to post a picture but I went out for about half an hour with a friend and our dogs up to a nearby loch to blow the cobwebs away (wore hat as was a bit worried Clare (the wig) would blow away).  Had a sofa day yesterday with a bit of a temp and kinda depressed, so it felt great to get some fresh air.  My cocker loved getting dive-bombed by her 4 month old cocker pup - so cute.  Had lunch after and a natter.  Felt NORMAL - yay! 

Linda xx (chemo3 due Wed 31st)

Patience and faith

• my usual walk involves walking to the park and then up the hill and around the chapel, it takes about 40 mins to do 6000 steps or over an hour to do 10k, and I only started trying to do 10k because someone else said 10k and I felt feeble only doing 6

I'm always cold when I start but get warm by the time I get to the hill, including my feet, which suffered a bit during the T phase of chemotherapy.   I walked every day during chemo until my toenails were hanging off, then I had to get clever with the tape. 

Part of the reason for sticking with the cemetery is that it is on a south facing slope and is at least 10˚ warmer and a good way of catching the few rays we get here in the UK, secondly it keeps me motivated, third it's an easy route and it's not boring, even though I do it everyday

I took this shot on Halloween last year

Carolyn

xx

real life success stories to remind you that people do survive breast cancer

https://community.macmillan.org.uk/cancer_types/breast-cancer/f/38/t/115457

Dr Peter Harvey

https://www.workingwithcancer.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/After-the-treatment-finishes-then-what.pdf

• Well done  

I'll be following this one as today I have not gone out for a walk and feeling shattered. Youngest daughter is about to help me with dinner.

have an early walk planned tomorrow at 8:45.....wlll try and remember to take a pic.

good luck everyone let's get our feet walking when we can but don't beat ourselves up if we can't.

Jac xx

Jac x
  • Have not yet set foot outside the door today, but yesterday was great. Got out of bed thinking about what I had to do that day - lots of admiin (groan) washing (groan), preparing for daughter coming end of week (hooray). At 9:40 just as I was in the shower, the phone rang. Eldest daughter asking us if we were around. Granddaughter (age 3) had declared she wanted to go and see granny and grandpa. Hooray!! Abandon all thoughts of admin. Although not a nice day, cloudy, misty etc, daughter fancied a walk on the beach. Did we want to go? My feet were hurting and I didn't know how far I'd  manage but I said I'd go if grandpa came too. So off we went, and I had a lovely time. We meandered up the beach, jumping in puddles and sliding in the mud. Little one one rode on grandpa's shoulders on the way back and loudly said "Good morning" to everyone we met. She makes me laugh so much so when we got back the cobwebs were thoroughly blown away and I'd forgotten all my troubles!! Not the sort of walk that helps to lose weight or get fit, but my mood and feeling of wellbeing was much improved!!

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

What a great idea for a thread.

We are on holiday in the Yorkshire Dales. Today we did a test walk to see if I can work out my fitness levels. So we walked 4 or so miles to Tan Hill Inn which is supposed to be the highest pub in England  ( remember the Everest double glazing adverts from the 70's? ).

It was a stunning day, cold, sunny and ridiculously windy. I feel OK,  got  a bit of fatigue towards the end and ache a bit now but that's letrozole I think.

I feel genuinely on top of the world though in two ways. Being so high up on the moors and also because on Friday of last week I got 'no evidence of active disease ' and it's the start of my rebuild.

Love and positive thoughts to you all

Maz x 

• Good idea !!

Not sure that it counts really, but my average day at work adds up to around 7000 steps (about 3 miles) and 15-20floors worth of stairs.

xx

Karen 

• Hi . I’ve been walking this evening with husband and dog . 45 minutes and strangely enough I felt more comfortable it was dark with street lights only . Didn’t have to smile or make any conversation . I’m normally sociable but tonight not . I’ve enjoyed the peace and ...... I was happy!!! Today I’ve felt forgotten by many friends and family but the walk and the knowledge that my new friends  are out there and walking made me feel part of a very special group . Thank you xxx Maria xx

The best advice given to me was “ take it one step at a time” . Twinkle51 xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Twinkle51

Hi

I go walking first thing for about ,,2.5 miles.  Doesn't make up for my beloved swimming but one of the few ways I can still kick cancers ***

This morning my husband was scouring the streets for me as evidently I had taken a long time.

Totally deflated.  Cancer is in my hipbone for goodness sake and I'm not running a race.

Back to it again tomorrow.  Suppose he cares at least but would be nice if he would give me a bit of space too.

Love and hugs .  Sorry don't mean to whinge

Dogspire

• Bless you dogspire feel free to whinge anytime. Xx

Peace and plenty. Xx