Breast cancer

Affected by breast cancer? Join this group to share experiences and ask questions to people who understand what you're going through.

Eating and drinking

Mumspal
Posted by

Afternoon

I am struggling with eating and drinking as nothing has taste been having bottled water with fruit taste got ginger beer need ideas also food what are the best foods to eat starting to get desperate my meals are just ending on the bin and getting bored of water

Dreamthief
Posted by

Hi  

Macmillan produce a Recipe Book for People Affected by Cancer and it covers meals for those with sense of taste and smell issues. It also covers the areas below.

A lot find spiced up meals the way forward, but it is very individual as to what works best for you. Some prefer to go the bland route and it can be as much about texture as taste :(

You can check it out and download it by clicking the cover image below.

Symbol key is on page 3 with the full sectioned index starting on page 86

Hope this is of some help, G n' J

Mumspal
Posted by

Thank you for that will have to get a copy ☺

Flopsyuk
Posted by

I found citrus fruits and flavoured milk drinks were my friends when I did chemo. Was a shock to me as I really don't like milk at all.

Freshly squeezed OJ and the milky drinks from the dairy fridge part of the supermarket (i.e. Belgium chocolate, strawberry and banana - they needed to be the best quality ones as the more artificial weren't drinkable at all)

Still can't face ginger as I had so much of it during chemo.

At different times of my chemo I wanted different things. At one stage it was fruit smoothies that were sweet and bland-ish (like strawberry/banana) and then I wanted ones with a sharp taste (like the more bitter berries).

Some people find grapes and cherry tomatoes were good for them.

My tastes changes so much at different times - one week I ate Peking duck with pancakes twice. 

PixieandtheDragon
Posted by

I have found spicy food (curry's, Mexican food etc.) the best, also lasagne (I seem to crave the creamy texture of the white sauce! Same goes for really smooth vegetable soups) 

I try and batch cook and then freeze individual portions so I have plenty of options and can have what takes my fancy that day.

I have gone off sweet things, and like lots of vegetables in everything, lots of salad etc. It seems to taste 'cleaner' to me and is simply more appealing. 

It can also be a good idea to go for small portions to prevent over facing yourself, you can always go back for seconds!!

Keeping your food intake up is obviously important, so if all else fails, just eat whatever takes your fancy.

Good luck in finding foods that works for you xx

JoDec
Posted by

Hi Mumspal, I really feel for you, as I have the same problem. Everything tastes like cardboard, even the textures have gone! I can't eat spicy food, as it burns my mouth, but still manages to have no taste! Milk upsets my stomach although on my first cycle milkshakes went down very well and soothed my sore mouth. Poached eggs on toast don't taste too bad, but still aren't lovely. I can't really help, other than to say eat really small amounts of things, as the first couple of mouthfulls seem to be a bit better. I am trying to eat every hour or two and I just make myself eat, as long as it is not too vile. I hated all cold drinks, incl water on the 2nd cycle, but have just found that Lucozade pink lemonade is ok. The fizz is a bit strange on my mouth but it is nicer than water. Arrowroot biscuits are ok for me too, but you may well be very different. I'm sorry I can't be of more help, but just try little and often and if you feel diarrhoea coming on, get loperamide into you before it starts, as if you are not eating well, you can't afford to lose any goodness from your body. Good luck and let us know how you get on. Xxx

Mumspal
Posted by

Hi JoJo

Thanks for that all my meals are small and most end in the bin just got small shreddie wheat with apricots in and one with bluberry .  its a bit like a child seeing what you like and don't like always enjoyed Sunday roast but now its bland tasteless but have a little to keep me going as need the strength more than ever now.  I will give the lucozade pink lemonade ago I do enjoy the odd bottle my drinks do now have to be cold so lovely on the mouth.

Thanks here's to a lovely friendly supportive group and wish everyone to better health xx

Mumspal
Posted by

Thanks for that will try smoothies and milkshakes at must admit everything I have has ginger in and starting to get fed up with so thanks four drinks advice x

JoDec
Posted by

Hi Mumspal, it is so hard to advise, as it affects us all so differently. Bananas are good with me too and plain basmati rice, albeit a tad boring. Everything else tastes really bland or as if it is going off. So much food has gone into the bin and our food bill this month was more than double, as we keep buying things that I think I will like, only to find I hate it. I can actually remember the last meal that I had that tasted lovely, which was mushroom stroganoff with toasted ciabatta! It was at our local pub, on Sunday 27th August, day 5 of my first cycle, lol, just an hour before I started throwing up and passed out!! Xx

Badgerset
Posted by

Cornflakes, cornflakes and more cornflakes, morning noon and night!!

They've kept me going for 2 weeks with ice-cold milk! Haven't had them since a child but that's the only lovely taste I've enjoyed :) 

It is a strange culinary voyage we're all on isn't it?!

JoDec
Posted by

Yes, Crunchy Nut Cornflakes! I forgot about those! X

DINAH MAY
Posted by

My mum loved mature cheese and crackers and cheese is calorific :) xxxx