Breast cancer

Affected by breast cancer? Join this group to share experiences and ask questions to people who understand what you're going through.

* * * OCTOBER breast cancer chemo club * * *

Boudicca1970
Posted by

Thanks Ann, more useful tips! :-) 

Like you I am really suffering the side effects of Filgrastim. Fluey, achy, mildly nauseous, weak and dizzy, so a generally unwell feeling, I don’t really want to get out of bed!! The worst, as you describe, is that tenderness/bruised feeling, I had it everywhere except below the knee?! My neck and jaw were really bad and it made it difficult to rest and sleep. I also felt puffy in my face and my hands swelled, it sounds almost like an allergic reaction which is also why I was hoping the antihistamine might help. After the first few days the tenderness subsides but the other unwell symptoms remain which is soooo frustrating! Really hope my WBC is up tomorrow so I don’t have to have them for 10 days again!

Interestingly, my Onc said it wasn’t the injections, I didn’t believe him at all so thanks for confirming that your Onc did say it was them. My chemo nurse also said it was the injections! 

J

mariemos
Posted by

Thanks for the replies Ladies. I haven't yet experienced this type of pain and am just about to take my last injection for this cycle so maybe will be unaffected? I am generally OK,  but feeling a bit 'off', if that makes sense - bit light headded and seem to be light sensitive (only way I can explain it!).

On the up side, did some work today from home, caught up with people which is always good and trying to resume normal duties as much as possible - not able for Yoga but am going to my choir practice, will be good for the soul to sing a few tunes!

Hope you are all OK xx

Anniekz
Posted by

I have to have 10 filgrastim per cycle, perhaps that's just what they do down here in Brighton.  I did have some backache in the first cycle, perhaps this was the filgrastim but other than that I haven't had a lot in the way of side-effects.  May be because I wasn't expecting them?!

Ann

Scaredgirl34
Posted by

Had my 1st cycle of chemo and ended up in hospital! I'm ok now!! but my oncologist came to see me and said the 1st cycle of chemo has showed affect to my liver and will be checked before next chemo...

What will happen if I can't carry on with treatment I'm scared!!!

AkelaJean
Posted by

Oh no I'm sorry to hear that. How come you ended up in hospital if you dont mind me asking

Xx

Scaredgirl34
Posted by

Had severe stomach cramps and low temp,so was admitted last night 

I'm home now feeling better x

AkelaJean
Posted by

I'm glad you're feeling better now. I start my first cycle Friday and I'm absolutely terrified 

Xx

Tess58
Posted by

good luck.... I'm starting my first chemo in 2 weeks .... busy reading all the posts an then off to the shops to buy mouth gels etc etc an hopefully I won't need them !!! LOL 

LovelyTapir
Posted by

Hi everyone,

I had my first (of4) FEC on Wednesday having already had 4 Docetaxel & Cyclophosphamide. 

The nausea is driving me potty - I struggle to take the anti-sickness meds! I only have meds’ for today left so am assuming it will be better after that? How long does it last for others here generally?

I’m also on GCSF , 7 injections. That came as a bit of a surprise - I didn’t have it whilst having the Docetaxel! Doing the first injection yesterday  was fun. No spring loaded pen things here - proper syringes and needles and I have to make up the drug myself. Didn’t hurt though so that’s ok

Anyway - good luck everyone as always

NikkiS
Posted by

Hi all

Joined Sept Chemo club but not been on for a while. Should have had 3rd FEC today but deferred until next week as ended up at A&E and kept in overnight due to swollen arm (chemo arm). first diagnosed as cellulitis then as thrombophlebitis. Soo painful..Anyone else had this? Been given antibiotics on the ward but can't get an appointment with onc, his nurse just said I will be fine to have my chemo next week but I am concerned about having cannula in again when it is so sore.( four attempts to get it in last time.)

Apart from this constant throbbing, sore arm, 2nd FEC was fine.

Thanks in advance 

Nikki 

toxophilite
Posted by

Hey  

Sorry you've had such a rough ride. Just wondered whether you've been offered a PICC line or port? It sounds like that would be worth asking for, to try and avoid this sort of thing happening again.

Hugs xx

curlybird
Posted by

Hi everyone 

live had two FEC so far. I’ve used the cold cap but have a massive bald patch on the top of my head. Hair at the back still long (nice look). Does anyone know if I will be allowed to continue if the cap is straight on to skin?

Also do we have a blood test before each session as I’ve realised I have no blood form. I think I was told I would have a blood test each time?

I’ve not been to bad at all, first 7 days very tiring and unsure what I feel like eating but after that ALMOST normal!!! Xx

toxophilite
Posted by

Hi  

Can't help with the cold cap, as I didn't bother - couldn't face the brain freeze and extra time!! I think most ladies have found they had more thinning on top than anywhere else though.

My bloods were done in the chemo unit 2 days before my chemo, so no forms were needed.

Sounds like you're coping ok so far - long may it continue!! Are you having 6xFEC, or switching to T for the last 3?

Hugs xx

star 67
Posted by

Hi, anyone know what to do when the roof of your mouth feels like sandpaper??

I'm concerned that it will end up cracking or getting sore or ulcers.  I have plenty of saliva and it is not hot or infected.  I am using mouthwash not as often as recommended but I've had no problems other than this and the odd ulcer that's cleared up quickly.

The nurse at line care was no help, the pharmacist recommended boiled sweets or pineapple to put a coating over my mouth but then I'm concerned this will put to much sugar in my mouth ( on top of all the Jaffa cakes I'm eating) encouraging thrush or dental problems. 

I will probably go to my doctor if it doesn't clear up but would welcome any suggestions first, as I've found this is the best place to ask.

Hugs and best wishes to everyone xxx

toxophilite
Posted by

Milk? or icecream?

xx