Breast cancer

Affected by breast cancer? Join this group to share experiences and ask questions to people who understand what you're going through.

Nutrition

Foxie84
Posted by

Hi, 

I'm nearing my last chemotherapy which I can't wait for! 

I was just wondering how long after the last one you still have to be restrictive of the foods you can eat. Is it until the chemo is out of your system or does this continue for when I have radiation?

Many thanks :)

LondonLass
Posted by

Firstly well done on getting through the Chemo and good luck for the last one! I would say 3 weeks after your last dose, should be fine! Plus that's approximately when your taste buds return! There are no restrictions while you have Radiotherapy, or at least there wasn't when i had mine! 

A few more weeks and you'll be back to enjoying your food!! Xxxxx

Dreamthief
Posted by

Hiya Foxie84,

Yup!  What Londonlass said.

You only need your white cell count to come back up around the 3rd week.

How your food will taste when you go back to your 'faves' is a whole different thing :)

G n' J

Rainbow Debs
Posted by

Hi Foxie84

Just wanted to say hi and welcome to the club no-one wants to join ! 

You will find on here wonderful people ..fantastic support at anytime of the day and brilliant advice ..well done and there are excellent links for advice on Chemo and radiotherapy on here too 

Good luck 

Hugs and Rainbows 

Debs xxx 

Foxie84
Posted by

LondonLass

Firstly well done on getting through the Chemo and good luck for the last one! I would say 3 weeks after your last dose, should be fine! Plus that's approximately when your taste buds return! There are no 

Foxie84
Posted by

Thanks, it's good news that I don't have to wait too much longer to eat some of the foods I'm really missing 

Xx

JMEBM5
Posted by

Hi

Sorry no-one has told me to restrict what I eat whilst on chemotherapy.

Help please

Jenny 

Dreamthief
Posted by

Hi Jenny  / 

This may help... ?

G n' J

Image below can be enlarged by clicking it.

JMEBM5
Posted by

Thank you, the list seems perfectly acceptable, I have a very restricted diet due to allergies and coeliac disease, so I panicked when I read restricted diet.

thanks Jenny

toxophilite
Posted by

I'm curious about the last one on the list - what could be wrong with bottled still water? I certainly drank enough of it with no problems!! I would have thought tap water would be more risky!!

xx

Dreamthief
Posted by

Hi Karen  /   

That one got us guessing too :)

Apparently it only refers to still 'Mineral' waters as mineral waters cannot be given the OK because of the many and varying subterranean trace elements like nitrates, copper, sulphur etc it picks up from wherever in Europe it comes from. Why carbonation makes this acceptable I have no idea :)  Perhaps they all get carried away on the bubbles lol

So all those fizzy or still flavoured bottles made from standard tap water you can multi-buy in the supermarkets will be fine.

The jury is still out on whether ionization (filtering) has an impact on the efficiency of any of the chemotherapy drugs ?

The list above is taken from this Dudley NHS leaflet  Food-safety-advice-for-patients-having-chemotherapy-V3.pdf.  I think it is a bit of an overkill comment but as a health authority I suppose they have to add it to their list. Stops someone suing them because they drank a bottle of still Volvic and was sick :)

G n' J