Breast cancer

Affected by breast cancer? Join this group to share experiences and ask questions to people who understand what you're going through.

Will oncotype dx results be different?

Daisylou2
Posted by

Can anyone put my mind at rest, I have had surgery to remove a 20mm grade 1, her 2 neg, er positive bc. The oncologist has said no chemo as only a 1% increase in survival rate versis 3%risk of chemo. He has said he will now send off for onco dx test, and to go back in 6 weeks. I can't settle thinking will this show something different? Does it take that long to get the results? Sorry to ramble.

toxophilite
Posted by

Hi The oncotype dx I believe is done in the States, so yes it does take some time to get the results back. What it does is show whether your specific tumour cells would benefit from chemo. They are usually pretty sure before sending it off, but it does tick another box in terms of tailoring the treatment.

I'm sure someone who has had it done will be along soon to give you more info. Can't think offhand who might have had one. ? ? EDIT, no wasn't either of you. I really can't remember.....

Try not to worry too much (although I know you will anyway!!). Try to see it as making sure they've got it absolutely right!!

Hugs xx

kayedin
Posted by

Hi Daisylou 

I had the oncotype test recently it took about 3 weeks I think to get back.

The way i looked at it was the original %s were based on averages of patients  with similar diagnosis but the oncotype actually tests your tumour so it is only based on your data. i then felt that if I wasn't doing chemo ( which I haven't) at least I knew that it was based on my tumour and it's characteristics rather than an average . Hope that makes sense. Mine came back at 14 and when I saw the test results there was no benefit of chemo for me . Obviously the test is not infallible but it is a lot more personal and specific than the original % that they give you or at least that s the way that I looked at it.

JMC04
Posted by

Hi Daisylou2,

I didn't have the oncotype dx test so I'm afraid I can't help you with any info. With having triple negative breast cancer I was advised to have the chemotherapy first before surgery as it can respond excellently to the chemo and shrink the tumour dramatically. In my case I was very lucky to have a pCR, meaning all traces of cancer had gone by the time of the lumpectomy.

I'm sure there someone here will help you with some information on the onoctype test soon. 

I had my treatment plan changed at the last minute and found really stressful, it was hard to accept what the experts were telling me at the time, but they really are going to do what's right and best for you.

All the best Daisylou2, you'll find lots of help and support from the lovely people here.

Xx 

anncg
Posted by

Hi, I had the Oncotype test, I had 8mm grade3 ER positive my test score was 38 so chemo recommended. I'm not an expert but if it's grade 1 your score might well be low. The oncologist is probably just double checking to be on the safe side. I think my results took 3 weeks.

Hope this helps, let me know if you need anymore info. xx

tarneh
Posted by

My oncotype took about 2 weeks to come back, I was scored at 20 and chemo wasn't recommended.  I would ring them in a couple of weeks and see if they have the results.  X

Daisylou2
Posted by

Thanks everyone for your replies they are really appreciated. I think I will ring after a couple of weeks. Fingers crossed it will come back with a low score.  Trying to forget it and enjoy tbe sunshine.

Carolyn28
Posted by

hi  

did your oncologist tell you where he got his 3% from ???   I've been looking around for a good figure.

The overall risk is 10% but that is ALL cancers and ALL patients. Clearly cancer types and your own situation play a part in whether that is actually the risk for you.

I was told that for breast cancer patients the risk was considerably lower and one of the reasons was that we are an easier group to manage, we turn up to our appointments, we take our meds and we look out for risk factors.

I'd been guessing at 5%, or half that of the overall.  3% is a good figure to work with as a lot of women are cited as a 3% uplift in outcomes and obviously a 3% uplift versus a 3% risk is actually, no benefit.

In fact I think I did say on one thread it was the 3% gang that needs a specific line of support because it's such a difficult decision to make.

fingers crossed your score is low

Carolyn

xx

Daisylou2
Posted by

Hi Carolyn thank you for your reply. my oncologist was very definite about the 3% risk as I did question him. He is classed as a lead on breast cancer in Birmingham, so I very much trust his information. 

I'm trying just to forget the test and enjoy tbe lovely weather.  Hope you are well.

Carolyn28
Posted by

hi DaisyLou

I will now formally adopt the 3% as a guide

thank you, I'm well

and yes, sunshine is very therapeutic

hugs

Carolyn

Nik2017
Posted by

I'm waiting on my results to come back.  Mine is 22mm grade 2 not found in lymph nodes.  But for the lazy 3 weeks I've had to be drained, due to a build up in fluid

Daisylou2
Posted by

Poor you, I bet having it drained is uncomfortable. I am now 4 weeks post mx with diep, and thank goodness as healing well but am rather lopsided. They have only just decided to send mine for testing so have a long wait.

Good luck with your results 

Haysie
Posted by

Hi

I had a 23 mm tumour removed. Grade 2, no lymph node involvement. My onc said pre oncotype she wouldn't recommend chemo with my situation. My oncotype score came back after 4 weeks (should've been 2 but bc nurse forgot to send it the first time). My score was 11 so low risk of distant recurrence and so again chemo was not recommended.

Nic x

Daisylou2
Posted by

Hi Nic, that's so good news about you not needing chemo. Fingers crossed I will be in the same situation. Made me feel more positive about the results, hope mine comes back in 2 weeks like yours. 

Nik2017
Posted by

Hi clare

I need to go back to my local Macmillan centre tomorrow to see if I need to drained again, they may even put in a drain.

Next then week to find out my results.  

Sending hugs