Breast cancer

Breast cancer is the most common cancer in women in the UK. Men can also develop breast cancer, although this is rare. This group is for anyone affected by breast cancer to get together, ask questions, share experiences and support each other.

Found a lump. Worried

Porky5
Posted by

Hi, I am new here and not sure I should be posting or not but I've had a lump in my right breast and shoulder /bicep pain for about 3 months now, finally went to Drs 2 weeks ago and he has referred me to breast clinic at hospital, I still have no appointment through? I rang Drs to check they had done the referral and receptionist said yes. Anyway I am just a bit stressed out by it I thought it was 2 week referral system for a lump. I'm 37? Does this seem right? I guess if dr doesn't think it's urgent it would be longer than 2 weeks?

Thanks x

wombat.23
Posted by

Hi Porky5 and welcome,

The guidelines do state 2 weeks for an urgent referral, but they are just guidelines. It all depends on where you live unfortunately. I think the majority of cases are seen within the two week period. Me, I had to wait 6 and a half weeks for an urgent referral. :(

I think the doc should have said if it was an urgent referral. You should get your appt through the post, but you could also try ringing the hospital to find out.

Take care,

Gay xxx

Porky5
Posted by

Thank you for replying, I'm just worrying and just want to be seen, I'm not good at waiting. I know it may be a cyst or something harmless but it's making me anxious and the shoulder pain is worrying me as well as the lump. I'll give it another couple of days and then give the dr another call.

Thanks again

Vicky xx 

mistymoley
Posted by

Vicky you are right to chase it up, I would just add that waiting times in Wales are quite a bit longer, so if you are in the Welsh Health Service, it might take a few weeks longer.

Annie H
Posted by

Hello Porky5.. I hope your lump turns out to be a harmless cyst. If I was you, I'd give the hospital you're being referred to a ring as someone else suggests too? The waiting always seems to the worst time!! Let us know how you get on. Love 'n hugs xxx ❤ Annie. 

Evie-on
Posted by

Hi x i was told you should be referred within 2 weeks .....i would chase them up ....its no fun waiting & best to be seen & know what it is the sooner the better ...i know x good luck 

Porky5
Posted by

Thanks ladies. I called the hospital today and was told they only received the referral today? The lady was nice and said the women who does appointments will be in touch in the next couple of days and call me on the phone to arrange an appointment. It makes me mad that it's taken 2 weeks for the referral to go from the gp to the hospital. At least I know hospital will be in touch soon and I can get some answers. Xx