Mixed lobular and ductal tumour - any info / insights out there? Barely nothing on internet

• 21 replies
  • 254 subscribers

Hi everyone, does anyone know where I could get some information on this type of breast cancer? It’s hard to find out much about it, although it is acknowledged that it exists on all the main reputable UK sites (including the Lobular Breast Cancer Charity). Really wish that I’d had a double mastectomy now, as I don’t trust mammogrammes. Is it two tumours jumbled into one, or two separate tumours? Mine was 34mm on MRI, mixed lobular and ductal. After chemo, there was no lobular, and 9mm residual ductal. I had a mastectomy. Realise this affects a small group of people, but any input would be welcomed!! Thank you 

• I used this site so I was knowledgeable about what questions to ask.  Yeah that it was helpful.  Sharing is the way we all move forward.  

Barbara 

• I was diagnosed with Lobular cancer back in February. I only found out when I had my radiotherapy in June that I had ductal cancer too. When I queried this at a subsequent appointment, I was told that the ductal cancer were 'micro'tumours'. I was told that both kinds of cancer cells would have been checked for things like oestrogen receptors, etc. I have no idea if it was known right from the start, or whether it only became apparent when they did the histology on the tumour they removed from my breast. It wasn't mentioned at all at my post-op appointment with the surgeon. I had a lumpectomy, and was never offered a mastectomy. If I'd known about having the 2 types of cancer, I'd probably have opted for a mastectomy.  Luckily, my lymph nodes were clear so I haven't had chemo.

• Thank you for replying. I opted for a mastectomy right from the start, even not knowing what it was. I know what you mean, I would have asked for a double had I known pre surgery xx

• Hi 

I too have two separate cancers both grade 1 and small 8mm and 5mm one was Idc the other tubular. I wasn’t told about this and still hasn’t been mentioned by anyone. I only found out when I was sent my pathology report. 
    I would really like to know if it made a difference having two separate types 

x

• Hi . There does seem to be a gap in the information out there! Also, like you I wasn’t told I had a mixed tumour. Even a5 the patholog6 discussion. I found out when I was sent the histology report.  (above) mentioned something similar. I wonder if it’s worth tagging in a Macmillan BCN to see if they can offer any insights? But I don’t know how to do it. Xx

• That’s strange. I was told I had Idc by the surgeon at my meeting after op. But when the pathology report came it said 2 Different. 
    I’ve also been copied in to a  letter from the oncologist stating two different types. I gave a meeting with oncologist bin 2 weeks so I will be asking does it make a difference x 

• Wondering why only one type us mentioned when there are 2 in the pathology report. 
    I hope it doesn’t make a difference for re occurrences 

x

• When I'd had time to digest the information, the thing that most worried me was could one tumour type have different characteristics to the other. I was told I had lobular cancer and that it was oestrogen receptive; was the ductal cancer ER too? Could it be progesterone receptive? what about HER2?

I asked about this at the appointment I had at the end of my radiotherapy and was told that both types of cancer would have been checked for each possible variation. I have another appointment next week, so will probably ask the question again, just to make absolutely sure!

• I didn’t see anyone after radium. Just straight home. But I do have a call with oncologist in 2 weeks so I am going to ask this question  ive only  been told  eostrogen  but not sure if that’s for both 

let me know what your appointment says please x 

• I had my appointment, and I'm still a bit confused! It didn't help that when the dr tried to access my pathology report, the computer system was down. Basically, she seemed to be saying that they're not really that interested in what type it is (lobular or ductal), but whether or not it's invasive. I didn't manage to pin her down on whether it possible for one type to have characteristics the other doesn't, and whether both types are tested individually. The clinic was running over an hour late and it was all a bit rushed. Hopefully, you'll get better answers from your oncologist. If you do, would you mind posting, please?