Cold cap advice

• 14 replies
  • 253 subscribers

Hi there I’m due to start chemo Saturday and plan to try cold cap, just wondered if you wet/ condition your hair beforehand.  I’ve received conflicting info;  the chemo nurse today said it’ll just be dry as they only spray thicker/curly hair.  But my consultant said it works better on wet hair.   Not really sure who to listen to.  Just wondered what your experiences were.  Many thanks 

• Just starting to lose a few strands, day 17 of first cycle. Still too early to tell whether it’s going to make a difference 

• I have just finished my 4th cycle. I have thin, fine hair and have lost a lot, especially on the crown. Before my last cycle I had a crisis of confidence in it and wondered if it was worth carrying on. I cope okay with the cold cap after the first 10 minutes but just wondered if it was worth it if I was going to lose my hair anyway. When I went for my chemo the  nurses checked my hair and advised me to continue if I could. Although I think the hair loss is very obvious now I keep thinking If I persevere it will help with the regrowth. 

• Thank u, think I will give it a go! I have had my wig fitting just in case x

• Hi, I’ve finally finished my chemo of 8 rounds using cold cap. It was pretty darn uncomfortable but I persevered and glad I did. Have got long fine hair and it’s thinned around crown and sideburns/by ears but I wear it in a ponytail or sometimes with a wide headband and it looks fine. The nurses sprayed it wet and put a conditioner in it every time and checked it fitted well - they all knew what to do so just ask if you have questions. Hope that helps!