Brain tumours

A place for people affected by brain tumours or brain cancer to support one another, ask questions, and share their experiences.

20 year old girl worried about possibilities

Scared20
Posted by

Hi all. First please please feel free to delete this if you feel ive posted in the wrong place/offended anyone. I'm simply looking for some advice. 

Im a 20 year old female and for the past month I've been suffering from headaches. It started with the first week having a hard throbbing in my head and like a pulse. Usually worse at night when I'm lying down. It then faded slightly and just left a dull throbbing in my head. Still present. Most recently im having shooting pains and dull aches in my head (they last maybe five seconds at best). I've also had some twitching recently (head, leg) very subtle but noticable tomyself. My neck feels quite stiff when I wake up and the past few nights I've just founding myself feeling quite spaced out and sick - but I never actually vomit.

At the minute the head problems are actually making me feel quite down. I've found myself a lot snappier than usual and im only 20.

I must add that I had an MRI of the head five months ago for something else.

I also had an eye tests around a week ago - everything fine in that area. 

What im wondering is does this ring alarm bells to anyone. Is it possible for something to have appeared since the MRI five months ago? As these are new symptoms.

thank you so much for reading, and again, any advice is helpful.

Em. 

Dreamthief
Posted by

Hi Em,

Sorry to see you needing to join us here.

When you had your MRI because it was for something else they may not have concentrated on looking for anything else rather then the reason you had the mri carried out.

There is an info page about brain tumour symptoms you can read clicking this link but this is obviously concerning you so you do need to get yourself to your GP and get the ball rolling getting the proper tests carried out. I'm not trying to make you feel scared just that it takes a while to get hospital appointments slotted in, so the sooner you make that call the quicker you will get some answers.

Of course your GP may find this something less sinister than you think and all you need is a quick fix for a minor problem which is great but you need to know one way or another.

This is a bit out of our area but wanted to reply to try and help you out at a scary time. Hopefully a regular member here can reply with more experienced information for you.

Take care and good luck getting to the bottom of this, George & Jackie

Scared20
Posted by

Hi, thank you so much for replying!

Well it's a long story but I've had seizures since I was 3 years old - on the floor shaking kind of seizures - and I had my very first MRI in 2012, after the results said clean the doctor explained they were looking for tumours.

My second and most recent MRI was in November - this was ordered as a test because I was having shooting pains in my head every day - nothing was found everything appeared normal.

In regards to my fits I'm pretty certain they're just undiagnosed and not related to my head pain, I'm just worried what could be causing the head pain this past month and worried that it could actually be a tumour that has appeared in the months since the last MRI.

Thank you x

Dreamthief
Posted by

Hiya,

Been going on a while then :-(

Obviously something isn't right the fact they so far have found nothing doesn't mean all is well (I'm not saying tumour here) but there is a problem behind all this and you can't find it on your own.

Realise you are only twenty but you really should start being more assertive with the medical profession to get the answers and help you deserve. It is having an impact on your life so is important to your well being.

There is an old saying which being Easter seems appropriate -  'The Loudest Chick Gets Fed First'

Fingers crossed for you, G n' J

Scared20
Posted by

Thanks. I know the fits are nothing to worry about its more these headaches the past month. Today I feel disorientated and drained and just keep going dizziness - so horrible. I've no idea what's wrong

Thanks x

Lakeslover
Posted by

Hi Em,

are you on medication for the fits? If so it may be that it needs tweaking. 

There are a number of other things that could cause the symptoms you describe, including something as simple as an ear infection.

in any event you definitely need to get it checked out so phone your GP when they are next open and get an appointment.

Lynda.

Please take a few moments to fill in your profile to let people know what your connection is to Cancer, and a little about your story. This really helps us know how to answer your questions with the most relevant information

Scared20
Posted by

Hi, I'm on Fludrocortisone for my seizures, but they're trial and error as the cause is unknown. I've been to the GP and he just tells me to go to A&E if it gets bad or wait until my neurologist appointment (unrelated to headaches, more about fits) but the doc wants me to mention the headaches to him. I don't think my doc understands a&e very well - they don't appreciate people turning up there for just a headache and some dizziness and nausea x

Lakeslover
Posted by

Have you mentioned the dizziness and sickness to your GP? Is the neurology appointment soon?

it is possible some of your symptoms are because you are anxious, for example the stiff neck could be because you feel tense.

but whatever the cause it would help you to talk it through with them so I would still make an appointment to see them again.

you could also give the helpline here a call and talk your fears through with them. I'm not sure if they will be open tomorrow because it is a bank holiday but give the number a call. They will definitely be there on Tuesday.

Lynda.

Please take a few moments to fill in your profile to let people know what your connection is to Cancer, and a little about your story. This really helps us know how to answer your questions with the most relevant information

Scared20
Posted by

No the sickness and nausea has just come on in the past few days. The neurology appointment is on the 18th.

would you say this sounds like a tumour or is it just too hard to say? I know they're not exactly common in my age. But naturally the worry is there. Thanks x

Lakeslover
Posted by

I'm not medically qualified, but I would say it is very unlikely.

i expect all the worry over what it might be is making you feel even worse, a very natural reaction. Do you have anyone at home you can talk to about this?

please give the helpline a ring when they are back in and see what they think.

Lynda.

Scared20
Posted by

I definitely agree, worry won't help in any situation. I'll try and get in to see my doctor on Tuesday. 

I'm feeling reassured that I had an MRI in November and all was ok, and I had that because of headaches. Am I wrong to feel slightly reassured? 

Also im not sure how it works, but could something have appeared or grown shall I say, on my head since then? Thanks. Xx

WehaveGBM4
Posted by

Hi scared20,

it is entirely reasonable for you to feel worried given your background of seizures. Write a List of your concerns for your neurology appt and be sure to get answers for each of them. Don't apologise for your worries - ask for answers so you can park your concerns up if they are thought negative. Don't carry the burden on your own. There must be a support person or counsellor that the neurologist can refer you to depending on the conclusion to your questions. Take a support person with you if possible - a parent, aunt, or friend and if possible someone with a medical r nursing background. All the very best. Try to relax, breath and sleep as best you can. Thoughts. Jan. 

Scared20
Posted by

Hi Jan, 

Well ive just got back from an app with an out of hours doc and they seemed slightly concerned and told me to get an urgent appt with my doc tomorrow and request an urgent head scan. She also wasn't very happy as my blood pressure was high (150). Sigh. Not really sure what this means. 

Thanks x

Scared20
Posted by

So I've just dug out my letter over my MRI results. It says:

"this lady with increasing headaches and a bony swelling in the right occipital region has had an MRI scan of the brain. 

The brain itself is normal. There is a slightly prominent occipital protuberance but no bony abnormality associated with this. 

I would suggest she is given appropriate acute treatments for the headaches and if they continue to be a problem that you consider preventative drugs using the treatments described in the Greater Manchester Headache Management Pathway. 

There are no significant abnormalities on the scan to be concerned about. For the moment I have discharged the patient back to your care. If there is significant deterioration in the future please contact us."

can anybody tell me what this means? 

I just figured it was ok as nothing sinister was found x