Brain tumours

A place for people affected by brain tumours or brain cancer to support one another, ask questions, and share their experiences.

Supporting my mum with a brain tumour

Rosafloss123
Posted by

Hello.

Never thought I'd ever need to ask for help in a forum like this. On Tuesday my mum suddenly became very ill and was unable to speak properly, retain information etc and ended up going to hospital with a suspected stroke. They did a scan and found a very large tumour in her brain. This is a total shock to us, other than slight speaking issues over the past week (which were investigated by gps and put down to medication increase side effects) she has been fine up until Tuesday. My mum is 55 and has always been healthy. We are floored by this news and are waiting for referral to a neuro hospital (hopefully tomorrow after the MDT meeting) from the hospital she currently is in.

The hardest part is that she doesn't understand what's going on, she knows she is ill and we are upset but even after it being explained many times to her she just brushes it off and carries on talking about other things. I think this is down to her lack of ability at the moment to retain and process information, but its heartbreaking. 

She has 4 adult children (20, 23, 25 and 27) , 2 of which are disabled and then me and my older sister are trying to hold everything together. 

I guess I just needed to write it all out. We are getting lots of emotional support but working on getting physical support for the boys and extra support for mum when they do eventually let her home. 

Two days ago life was going okay, now we feel so lost.

latchbrook
Posted by

Hi and welcome to the online community although I'm sorry you've had to find us.

I'm not a member of this group but I can totally understand how lost you must all be feeling at the moment. Hopefully, you've had the referral to the neuro hospital after the MDT meeting yesterday.

This group will be great for you to be able to ask specific questions regarding treatments but you might also like to join the family and friends group which is a safe and supportive place to share your worries and concerns.To join  just click on the link I've created and then choose 'join this group' on the page that opens.

When you feel up to it, it would be really useful if could pop something about your mum's journey so far into your profile as it helps others when answering or looking for someone with a similar diagnosis. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Edit Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

Sending a supportive ((HUG))

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

What is a Community Champion?