Brain tumours

A place for people affected by brain tumours or brain cancer to support one another, ask questions, and share their experiences.

Early symptoms before diagnosis

firefly5401
Posted by

Hello, I am about to have a whole series of tests as I am having difficulty with balance and walking as well as not knowing words I want to use and forgetting to do normal things like closing the garage after driving the car in. 

‘If you could tell me a little about your early symptoms, I would be happy to have some way to see what has happened for others. Thank you for your time and effort. 

Bry57
Posted by

Hello Firefly,

Before she was diagnosed with a brain tumour my daughter's early symptoms including some similar to yours: she had trouble with her balance and walking, and using her right arm and leg  (the opposite side to where the  tumour was.) She had some difficulties with speech too, but didn't have memory problems like you say you have. But her most notable symptom was suffering from seizures. Brain tumours can cause a variety of symptoms depending on the location and type of tumour, but I think your symptoms could well have many other causes apart from a brain tumour, Please try not to worry until you actually get a diagnosis! 

Good luck with your tests.

firefly5401
Posted by

Thank,you for your response, it is hard not to worry but it’s also hard not being able to walk or think properly. Some parts of the brain are indeed connected to speech, cognition and tasks like sequencing etc. I’m guess I’m just trying to prepare myself with as much knowledge as possible. Thank you for your well wishes and my love and concern for your daughter and your family. Xx

Bry57
Posted by

Thanks for your good wishes. It may help you to know that 3 years on from her surgery and chemo, our daughter is doing well, and her symptoms are much less though she still has some minor problems with speech and movement. Hopefully whatever turns out to be the issue for you will be just as treatable. Best of luck!