Brain tumours

A place for people affected by brain tumours or brain cancer to support one another, ask questions, and share their experiences.

Daughter just diagnosed after an incidental finding - Anyone else

miniboo
Posted by

Daughter aged 12 was originally diagnosied with a leision (demylination they said) after she had a problem with her eyes.  They leision was not the cause of the eye issues which still continue but dont actually cause her any problems.

Because they found the leision they decided to MRI each year to watch it.  Last MRI was December.  We had a call to go in and see the Peadiatrician who said Daughter now has an MDT headed by Mr Stapleton as they have no decided it is in fact not a leision, not demylination but in fact a tumour which is growing but slowly.

They have opted to watch and wait as its location for removal is too risky at this stage whilst she has no symptoms.  That of course is likely to change we just dont know when.  Annual MRI's will be the course.

We havent told her.  Have no plans to as she already suffers with health anxiety due to all the tests thus far.

We are due to go on holiday in the summer to the states and i need to know if we should declare it to travel insurance folk.  The consultant actually said not to as it was an incidental finding.  I personally disagree but would love to hear your thoughts.  We havent been allocated any support which is fine, we dont need it really but some advise on this would be welcome.

TracyP
Posted by

Hi miniboo

welcome to the online group that no one wants to be a member of. I’m sorry to hear that your daughters lesion has turned out to be a tumour. If the scans are being done on an annual basis it would indicate that the medical staff are not too worried about it. That, together with your daughter being largely symptom free is good news. 

With regard to travel insurance I’m afraid I have to disagree with your consultant. That it was an incidental finding is irrelevant. You know about it and therefore your insurance company will probably state that you have an obligation to declare all relevant facts. Failure to disclose will invalidate the policy. It normally means that the whole policy is void. If you have already taken the policy out it will tell you what you have to do. If you’re shopping for it now then you would need to declare it to be covered.

I used to work as an assessor in medical insurance and can tell you that you’re consultants statement will not hold up to for an insurance company. It is their decision on what is relevant as to what cover they provide and at what cost, it is not you’re consultants. In effect he is encouraging you to commit fraud. However, it does sound like he would be willing to say that in his opinion he will confirm that there is no medical reason why she cannot travel or go on holiday which is what an insurer will want to know  

Within the macMillan forums there is one for travel insurance. It might be able to suggest who the most competitive is at the minute. If not and you can wait until next week to privately message me I can give you more details - I’m on holiday in Venice at the moment. Tumour, surgery and epilepsy all declared and I got cover for an annual policy without breaking the bank (unlike Venice which is breaking the bank!)

Feel free to get in touch if you need more info. 

Regards T

akist
Posted by

I have never managed to get travel insurance. You go through a huge list of humiliating questions and then you get "sorry, can't do". The funny thing is that when I did not have cancer I also never thought to take out travel insurance. I would think where you need it most is when you fall seriously ill, need hospitalisation and treatment, new tickets to fly back etc. So when you need the insurance most is when they will not give it to you :-)

Itsmywifeiworryabout

"So when you need the insurance most is when they will not give it to you :-)".

That's the way they make their money - by handling the risk. It's their business - just like the bookies - and they are better at it than we are!

latchbrook
Posted by

Hi and a second welcome to the online community, although I'm sorry you've had to find us.

As  has said, you must declare all known medical facts when you're taking out travel insurance and, unfortunately, it can be more difficult to find travel insurance when you either have cancer or have had it before. 

Please do come and join us in the travel insurance group, clicking on the link I've created will take you there. Once you've joined look for the thread called Recommended Travel Insurance as that's where we try to keep recommendations from other forum members who have obtained travel insurance. I try to keep it on the first page so it shouldn't be difficult to find.

Most people recommend that you phone the travel companies rather than try and do online quotes as it's easier to explain to someone than try to complete an online form. 

I do hope that you can get travel insurance and have a great holiday!

x

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

What is a Community Champion?