Brain tumours

A place for people affected by brain tumours or brain cancer to support one another, ask questions, and share their experiences.

Personality changes and how to help

Smallp02
Posted by

Ha ha ha...takes 1 to know 1 I say xx

Paula x

prettyfedup
Posted by

I asked whether anyone had flown without a cranioplasty and the nurse said "I don't know" I wondered what the point of ask a nurse so didn't bother again 

Smallp02
Posted by

Why not ask s8meobe else...

I twpestesly ask the same questions..  with this type of tumour my memory affected so they expect it from me now....

Don't give up. X

Paula x

LWF
Posted by

CARER   :    My last msg was wiped again,me crap at iplop,or is there a grumpy censor? I said go to the top,consultant,surgeon whatever.Nurses,like the rest of us have limited knowledge.If you do fly hope it's somewhere fabulous & your insurance will cover any problems.Bring me back a tall handsome hunky healthy  rich guy!!!

Val xxx

Smallp02
Posted by

PATI3NT..

Oooh. If only.... he ne

Yah, just keep asking whomever you come across.

Don't give up x

Paula x

Sel1974
Posted by

Hi Chris came across your post I am still walking through a very muddy field well that’s how I put it . My partner has a grade 3 Astrocytoma at first diagnosis in January 2016 after a grand mal seizure he was diagnosed with a benign glioma after a year of sit and wait he changed dramatically from my gentle giant too a moody withdrawn person he had a regular mri and it had changed ( I knew it had because of how he had changed ) . He had an op to remove as much as they could in  June 2017 . The operation was a success to a point they removed 95% no further treatment needed all good the biopsy results came back grade 2 Astrocytoma . He had regular scans in late 2017 he got headaches and slept a lot snappy with our children nasty too me I knew something was wrong and lo and behold he was called in after a regular scan for an emergency appointment it was back just above his old tumour site clear as day lighting up the screen like a light bulb we held each other’s hands and processed everything the surgeon said another op to do a biopsy or try radiotherapy then chemotherapy see if that helps to shrink it so he finished his radiotherapy Christmas Eve 2018 chemotherapy starts in the next month . He has got so awful now he can not tolerate anything he’s a Jekyll and Hyde he cries one minute for how awful he’s being then abusive and nasty the next . He moved out for a period of time I just couldn’t have him around the kids but when he got I’ll and was crying for help I couldn’t refuse I felt wicked if I didn’t allow him home . He’s embarrassing to take out as he is rude , arrogant and fidgety as he cannot handle normal surroundings. I’m sorry for rambling on but I had too let you know your not alone what your going through is soul destroying and as much as you love and try too understand that it’s the disease you do get resentful and yes they are going through a traumatic time but we’re there too living it breathing it . I really hope you can take something from my post to at least know your not dealing with this alone there are people too vent too here that are fantastic. I send you positive thoughts for you and your family be strong and remember that this is not the person you knew it’s the disease that has invaded his brain fingers crossed that the right treatment is given and it’s successful.xxxselinaxxx

Selina

LWF
Posted by

CARER    :   Have you tried asking your GP to put him on Prozac or another happy pill to take the edge off & make your lives more bearable?Even hormones - there are meds to help certain symptoms-& all we can do is treat those symptoms.It took years for my husband to even accept his diagnosis,let alone deall with it.Accept & adapt is my motto,which is difficult for me coz I'm feisty. Prozac was for his depression but has also helped him be happier,less beligerent & argumentative,more like his previous laid back persona.Worth a try?!

Another thing that helped was,when he's rational,  talking about it  ( you have to be a therapist too!) Or perhaps you could  both write it all down,(cathartic ) neutral territory & then in the right moment ,swop notes.It's like walking on eggshells without making an errant sound,I know,but perhaps it may help you too?Hope you find a way to cope,whatever that might entail,inc.send him to a man cave when he's turning green & losing it,only allowed back when calm.Plus deep breathing exercises,with a bit of luck he'll overdo do it & faint & give YOU a breather! Oh,& always with the humour!                    Best of luck & do let us know how you get on.

Val  xxx