Brain tumours

A place for people affected by brain tumours or brain cancer to support one another, ask questions, and share their experiences.

TMZ chemo

Namkrik
Posted by

Hi

taken me a while to do this. I was diagnosed with anaplastic astrocytoma grade 3 December 2017. 

Ive had brain surgery to remove what they could and confirm diagnoses, Radiotherapy.  Now on 4 th round of TMZ. 5 days of tablets, 2 a day at home. 

Everyone tells me ‘at least your at home to have your chemo’. Is it just me - I feel so lonely and alone.  

I have no contact with other cancer sufferers. 

Does anyone else feel the same ?

Namkrik
Itsmywifeiworryabout

Hi Namkrik,

Welcome to the club! I have pretty much the same set-up. I have an anaplastic astrocytoma grade 3 and have had radio and chemo (TMZ) and like you I had pills to take at home. If it is of any comfort, I'm still here and I had my op in 2011. Everything is stable at the moment (touch wood) and now have scans only yearly. I see from your profile that things are tough right now. I know that it's easier said than done but try not to dwell on the nasty side.

Some thoughts:

Do you have a Macmillan nurse you could talk to about this?
Are you anywhere close to a Maggies centre that you could pop into and have a chat with the people there? I usually have a cup of tea there before my scans.
Some people have set up groups to sit down and chat about our situations. There may be one in your area.

Luckily for me I had my wife to help me through all this. Do you have any family or friends you can talk to about all this. Even though people will find it difficult to put themselves in your shoes, they will probably want to help but don't know how. Ask a mate to sit down, warn him/her first, then pour out everything that's on your mind. They don't have to cure you ills - just sit there and let you spout out anything you want. (Then you could go down the pub )

Failing all that, do the same on here. Lot's of us have been in similar positions, you are amongst friends here.

Cheers,
Richard

Namkrik
Posted by

Thanks Richard 

You have helped - I’m only just starting to reach out. It’s taken me a while. I find it hard cause I’m usually by nature someone who supports others - my job, friends, family. 

I find it hard upsetting people - have a fab husband, kids family, friends etc I need to use them. 

Im glad to here how far down the line you are. 

Thank you

namkrik

Namkrik
Itsmywifeiworryabout

Hi namkrik,

I'm happy to help. Let us know how things are going and if there is anything else I or we can do.

Cheers,