Brain tumours

A place for people affected by brain tumours or brain cancer to support one another, ask questions, and share their experiences.

Brain Tumour

iancook184
Posted by
I am rcovering from a brain tumour and I would welcome some more advice or information on this. Is there any other people on here who have had this probelm?
Clare007
Posted by
Hi - I had a brain tumour back in April 2007 - what kind did you have and how are you doing?
Clare
iancook184
Posted by
I generally feel as though I am recovering well. Problems that I had when I did a neuro-psychological assessment in Septemeber were lack of speed (although not painfully slow), when doing tasks and also problems with my short term memory for verbal and visual tasks.

When I do this again in the summer I feel as though I will do much better with these and I will be okay. The main concern that I have is that the MRI scan I did in December did not show that the full tumour had been removed. I was told that it would not be fully clear as it was a relatively a short time after the surgery, so I guess I will find out more then!

The tumour I had was a non-malignant tumour, the sort of tumour that a young teenager would normally have.

How are you doing Claire? What tumour did you have?
Clare007
Posted by
Hi Ian,
Thanks for your reply, it's good to share feelings with someone else who has been in this position. I also have slight short-term memory loss, a bit irritating but nothing too severe. The tumour I had was a meningioma, also benign, fortunately. Like you it hasn't been fully removed because of the dangerous position it was in, but I had radiotherapy to stop any remaining cells multiplying - which was successful (I think!)
The only real problem i'm having now is getting my driving licence back! Have you had this problem too? It's quite frustrating because neurology have said "off you go you're ok now" yet the DVLA are saying "no you're not - you still can't drive!".
Hope you're doing ok.
Clare
iancook184
Posted by
Hello Claire,

I imagine that I will have similar car issues too. Possibly worse as I have lost 25% of my eye sight. I almost feel now as though this issue I do not need to worry about as I have enough things to bother me at the moment!

Generally I feel as though my short term memory is okay now, and remembering things I am okay with. I would say that I am better now than I was before the operation, when forgetting things was a problem that I had. I am delighted to have spoke to you about this, as I have not spoken to anyone else about this, since returning home from China where I was teaching last year.

How soon did they arrange the radiotherapy for you? As to me they have not said anything about this, or whether they would do this. I almost feel at the moment that I am a long way away from finding out the position that I am in, and if I will need to have any more surgery, or anything else.

I must admit as I have not spoken to anyone else about this I am delighted to speak to you!

Thanks, Ian
Pennyx2
Posted by
(Nice to chat to you last night Clare). I want to wish you both the very best treatment and luck in the world, and I hope you will both be back doing what you want to do as soon possible. It really makes me unhappy when young people are on here. Life is just so unfair. Lots of love to both of you xxxxx Penny
iancook184
Posted by
Thanks, Penny. It is fair to say that life is different! Sorry by the way Clare, for adding an 'i', schoolboy error!!
Clare007
Posted by
Hi Ian,
So sorry its taken me a while to reply, have been so busy I can barely keep up with myself and have little time to relax on the computer!
I hope you are well. Make sure you keep on the phone to your consultant to keep you informed of your progress. I had radiotherapy 12 weeks after surgery, it was quite quick really so I would say that you need to keep on top of them to find out where you're at ok. Keep in touch,
Clare
Clare007
Posted by
Hi Penny,
Thanks for your comments, I took the time to read your profile, it made me cry - i'm sorry. Although, you sound so positive which is wonderful. Life isn't unfair love, its just different. I work as a Funeral Arranger and see so many grieving families it's made me more positive about my position. Keep well, lots of love to you.
Clare
Pennyx2
Posted by
Thank you for reading my profile, but I wouldn't want you to cry - and I feel bad for making other people unhappy. Yes, I think sense of humour is what keeps us going a lot of the time - and you must need it in your job. In fact the first laughs I had after my correct diagnosis were ringing round funeral directors and graveyards. Had some lovely chats! Mind you, my partner thought it comical that one guy wanted to come out and see me: "With his tape measure?" he teased me.

Best of luck to both of you. xxxx Penny
iancook184
Posted by
Thanks Clare. I will follow that up and ensure that more questions are asked to the consultant. Good advice!!!