Brain tumours

For people affected by brain tumours or brain cancer to get together, ask questions, share experiences and support each other

radiotherapy

Padraig
Posted by

hi my mother was diagnosis with gbm six weeks ago in the frontal lobe very large only four months to live without treatment can't be cured. people are telling the family not the do radiotherapy because it will make her very sick and tired she on steriods now and not too bad considering what she got. would  like to know is this right thing to do very new to this still in shock to the hole thing up to six weeks ago she was taking care of twin boys her grands kids driver a car and now needing to be cared for.

Littleminica
Posted by

Good morning, I am so terribly sorry to hear about your mother. My husband was diagnosed 6 weeks ago, two surgeries, no treatment yet due to surgeries, he has declined so much in six weeks, doesn't talk anymore, sleeps a lot, having visual acuity issues, but yesterday after brain and spine scan they told me the tumor has spread quite a bit and we need to think about do we want to move forward with chemo or with hold treatment and let the disease run its course. They also said the shunt isn't working properly so the fluid is building up again and they may need to do another procedure on him. Why do another procedure if we should be deciding on with holding treatment. It's hard to know what to do, its a horrible position to be in. I know he would not want to keep going through this and I don't want to put him through anymore it's just hard to say it and then watch him continue to decline. I will probably opt to let nature take its course, family will discuss with me and decide. Follow your heart and your mothers wishes, big hugs to you and your family, I wish you peace of mind and heart.

prettyfedup
Posted by

Padraig

hi my mother was diagnosis with gbm six weeks ago in the frontal lobe very large only four months to live without treatment can't be cured. people are telling the family not the do radiotherapy because it will make her very sick and tired she on steriods now and not too bad considering what she got. would  like to know is this right thing to do very new to this still in shock to the hole thing up to six weeks ago she was taking care of twin boys her grands kids driver a car and now needing to be cared for.

i have the same and was given the same info as you I did have a debulking op and radio/chemo. The radio made me tired for a few weeks I managed some of the chemo then decided it wasn't worth it as it made me too ill. I was diagnosed 2 years ago 

I hope you get on ok xxx

Padraig
Posted by

thanks for the reply the mother tumor is inoperable she was very bad after the biopsy with was very shocking to see, i have being told that she will deteriorate fast and the steroid will stop working. 

prettyfedup
Posted by

i am sorry to hear this xx

Buttercup2017
Posted by

So sorry to hear of this.  How is she like at the moment? My MIL was diagnosed with the same.  They decided against chemo after debulking as she was considered to be too weak but she just finished her six sessions of radiotherapy.  She is tired but still talking etc and eating.  Her mobility is Impaired on her left side and uses a zimmer frame to move from room to room.

Padraig
Posted by

HI she had a blood clot in her right leg walk is affected hard to know if it is the clot or tomour  and her talk is not too bad going for another mri friday hope it hasn't growing alot. sorry to her about your mil best wishes

Itsmywifeiworryabout

Hi Padraig,

Sorry to hear the bad news. How well is your mother in herself? Is she well enough to talk through the situation with you?

If she is then I would see what she wants to do.

The radiotherapy certainly made me feel tired but I did not feel particularly sick. If she is coping with the steroids etc it may not be too bad.

Padraig
Posted by

she had a mri friday and the doctors are going to see whats best for her all about quality of life. she seems good the last couple of days hope it hasn't growing much